New Blog Post: September '88 Guitar Player

Eichaan

Here's my new blog post about the September 1988 Guitar Player magazine write up:

https://icarusanybody.blogspot.com/2018/10/my-back-pages-thirty-years-ago-in.html

Good stuff on Jeff Healey, Hiram Bullock, Robben Ford and more. Also cool, all three of the up and comers in the "Spotlight" feature are still alive and making careers in music 30 years later.

Sep88Cover.jpg

Funny, JXE! This was the third month in a row where jazz guitarist Howard Morgen penned increasingly sophisticated articles about playing jazz progressions. They are super hard, and I still don't understand them 30 years later. I guess after all that time they figured they could use the minimum number of words. The next month Morgen became a regular columnist, or else I guess it would have just said "Progressions"....

It's really amazing when you go through these old magazines what remained relevant and what disappeared into the mists of "what were they thinking"...

Nice! I loved Hiram Bullock's work on Letterman.

But man - Jeff Healey! I latched on to him very early on, and I only got to see him touring for "See The Light". I was totally dumbfounded at how much he could do playing over the top of the neck like that. Amazing musician and a wicked sense of humor.

Side note to his comment about his 78 RPM records - in another article about him when he was in his jazz trumpet phase, I believe, he said he could identify a lot of the records by feeling the grooves. The interview didn't believe him, but he nailed the ones the guy handed him.

Reactions: jxe
Back