New Black Country Communion is bada$$

Glenn Hughes is simply amazing. I’ve been a huge fan and follower of his since the early 70s when I first discovered Trapese (You are the music and Medusa). He is 65 years old and can still hit those high notes like a songbird. One of Rock’s all-time great singers. Also, you can’t be a slouch bass player to accompany Satriani on an instrumental record (his latest).

Glenn Hughes is simply amazing. I’ve been a huge fan and follower of his since the early 70s when I first discovered Trapese (You are the music and Medusa). He is 65 years old and can still hit those high notes like a songbird. One of Rock’s all-time great singers. Also, you can’t be a slouch bass player to accompany Satriani on an instrumental record (his latest).
"Burn" is my favorite Deep Purple album (apologies to Ian Gillan and Roger Glover) and I think a lot of that is the swing Glenn Hughes added on bass to the rhythm section swagger. He's definitely taken better care of his pipes over the years than Coverdale and most of his other contemporaries, too.

"Burn" is my favorite Deep Purple album (apologies to Ian Gillan and Roger Glover) and I think a lot of that is the swing Glenn Hughes added on bass to the rhythm section swagger. He's definitely taken better care of his pipes over the years than Coverdale and most of his other contemporaries, too.

That's true. Glenn still sounds amazing. I saw DP in September. Ian's voice isn't what it was. Sounded great for "regular" singing, but when he had to step it up a notch, it just wasn't there. Thing is, I could listen to him sing without the vocal acrobatics and be totally satisfied.

And, while we're apologizing, I'll add mine; I prefer Steve Morse over Ritchie Blackmore.

Last edited:
That's true. Glenn still sounds amazing. I saw DP in September. Ian's voice isn't what it was. Sounded great for "regular" singing, but when he had to step it up a notch, it just wasn't there. Thing is, I could listen to him sing with the vocal acrobatics and be totally satisfied.

And, while we're apologizing, I'll add mine; I prefer Steve Morse over Ritchie Blackmore.
I blame Ian's decline on all those performances of "Child in Time." That shrieking passage would wreck anybody's falsetto done 10,000 times over. Steve Morse is amazing, but man, that tone Blackmore had. That's simply the tone that any hard rock Strat guy should naturally aspire to, you know?

I blame Ian's decline on all those performances of "Child in Time." That shrieking passage would wreck anybody's falsetto done 10,000 times over. Steve Morse is amazing, but man, that tone Blackmore had. That's simply the tone that any hard rock Strat guy should naturally aspire to, you know?

Don't get me wrong, I love Blackmore, and you're right about his tone. Maybe it's maturing with age, or something. I just like the direction their music has gone with Steve. Still love the old stuff. Honestly, I am a bigger Bolin fan. Maybe not so much Come Taste The Band.

Preach it, brutha! I suddenly have Cruise Control on the mental iPod. :cool:

If you haven't listened to DP in years, do yourself a favor and pick up Purpendicular. It was Morse's first with the band. Some tasty playing, and a side of DP that's refreshingly different, IMO.

JLT, another awesome voice! I really liked the one DP album he did. Love the Rainbow stuff too. He did some stuff with a band called Brazen Abbott that was really good too.
He did a few albums with Yngwie, too, as I recall.

My first "wake" approach to blues occured being a university student 14 years ago. I watched a morning show on TV. At present a young German blues guitarist named Henrik Freischlader performed on TV a song named "She ain´t got the blues". Cool. I checked amazon´s stock and bought all of his yet publicated albums. Yes, I noticed: Customers of this item bought Joe Bonamassa albums aswell ;-) I ignored that. A couple of years later, a elder collegue asked me, if I know Joe Bonamassa. Yes, I know his name, I answered. At this year his album Dust Bowl has been announced. Yeah, I bought it. Good stuff. I ordered his back catalogue a few weeks later, and later nearly every of his new albums (I ignore(d) his life stuff apart from his concert in Vienna.)
I do not like every of his tunes being a solo artist. His voice is nothing for constant consumption.
But BCC deals with great compositions and single spots of JB being a singer. BBC IV is - in my ears - an album with no bolters.

I showed my father in law a couple of their videos and he thought that it ha a Zepplin feel. Before I told him it was Glenn Hughes singing, he thought it was Jimmy Paige

Back