New birds.

Really? I think the Paul's Guitar birds are superbly artistic, and very cool. But then I don't want all of my guitars to look alike.

Maybe I'd like them in person, but the pics aren't grabbing me. At first I thought they were giant, monster birds - which got my attention, but I don't know:)

These don't do much for me:
http://www.prsguitars.com/paulsguitar/#

but these I'm liking the looks of:
http://www.prsguitars.com/sc245/#

at least more than the last installment. I think I'll always like the "original" best, but a positive step anyway. Wonder what the inlay material is.

The 2013 product birds are all real materials! MOP for the win.

I also think Pauls birds are cool. They're not something I would like on every model, but for Pauls signature model, it fits. Hes always been different haha

I like them a lot. Artistic and cool. I wouldn't want them on all of my guitars, but on the "Paul's guitar" they look great. I could see one of those in my future...
:congrats:

The 2013 product birds are all real materials! MOP for the win.

I also think Pauls birds are cool. They're not something I would like on every model, but for Pauls signature model, it fits. Hes always been different haha
Lol! Great post Mike. Like the "real materials" and "different" parts in particular :)

Lol! Great post Mike. Like the "real materials" and "different" parts in particular :)

Haha they're all real shell and not synthetic - and well Paul is........ Paul!

I cannot elaborate anymore :p

I've just heard that the new 2013 birds are synthetic outlines with abalone centres.

Not quite all real shell after all.....

It doesn't bother me so much whether it's real shell or synthetic, so much, as long as they look good. I think the dirt birds look good on some specific color PRS, but not all. Abalone, MOP and paua on the other hand, look great on everything. I like the idea of shells, but if they're too difficult to find/getting stupid expensive, and they have to go another route, so be it. If there were too identical guitars, one with shell, one synthetic...? I'd take the shell in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I prefer the ORIGINAL birds forever. I like the beautiful paua shell in full birds figures that PRS brand are known for.

For the Brushstroke birds on Paul's Guitar, Hmmm, I think it depends on personal perspective. But one thing I notice is that if you show this guitar to a non-guitarist person, he might NOT be able to tell the those figures on fingerboard are 'birds'.
Oh, to be honest, to my eyes, the Brushstroke birds seem to made from some materials PRS mostly used on basic Custom 24, meaning that the Brushstroke type are not paua and non colorful.

Last edited:
I have been Mr. Negative about the birds the past few years, and they have kept me from buying anything. I am very happy to see these changes!

Thank You!!!

I'm probably in a minority here, but my favorites were still the 'hollow' birds. Love the subtlety.

I'm probably in a minority here, but my favorites were still the 'hollow' birds. Love the subtlety.
It took me some time to warm up to the Jay birds. I think they look amazing in black over maple fretboards. Especially when the guitar is painted black to match.

As a longtime PRS player (22 years), I've appreciated the details on the guitars that have made them a little different from year to year. I've also liked the major developments, like the V12 finish, hardware changes, new pickups, etc.

Frankly, I'm glad that PRS isn't stuck in a 1985 time warp, either in appearance or tone.

And my tastes have changed, too. I like a little variety. I tend to buy what I need, so in any case the decor wouldn't dissuade me from buying a great sounding instrument.

Back