New Bernie Day - Quick Question

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by moT, Aug 18, 2016.

1. moT

moT New Member

A Bernie arrived from Dave's today. Everything about the guitar so far seems perfect except for the switch. The switch works fine in neck and bridge positions, but in the middle position I get nothing from the neck and the bridge volume is intermittent and maybe scratchy at best.

Question: Should I send it back, is it an easy fix (I am guessing yes, but it's my first electric and I don't want to screw it up), or should I talk to them about it or do something else? So basically, what's the best course of action. I would have to take the guitar up the road 40 miles if I have to take it to a shop, and that's not going to happen in the next two days.

I have basically Thursday to figure this switch problem out as it arrived this evening. I came really close to getting the 594 last week before it sold, but I talked myself out of it because it's my guess that Bernie's are not going to be available much longer at these kind of prices where there will be some version of a 594 out there for the foreseeable future. Also both were used and if the Bernie were a dud I am not out too much where I would be a little more anxious about the 594.

Pictures to follow once I get this switch sorted out.

TIA,
    Tom

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  2. Stoptail22

Stoptail22 Birdland resident

First of all, you should remove the backplate to check whether the switch has enough free room for proper operation. The Bernie's cavity is quite small, so one of the wires inside may lay across. I had a similar problem with my Bernie. One of those wires inside prevented the guitar's cable contact to the output jack.

moT likes this.
  3. moT

moT New Member

Talked to Dave's. They are sending a replacement guitar and a shipping label so I can send this one back. Probably a very easy fix I could do in 10 minutes, but I will let them do their fix first since they want to make it right. Please let me know if there are other options I should consider.

Cheers,
    Tom

Dusty Chalk and bodia like this.
  4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

The dealer route is the best way to go. Top notch place. Glad they're taking care of you!

Dusty Chalk and moT like this.
  5. drdoom8793

drdoom8793 THAT guy at Chick-fil-A

Happy New Bernie Day! You'll have to post some pics once you get the replacement! I got mine last night. I gotta get some pics and I'll create a NGD thread too.

Alan Manning, bodia and moT like this.
  6. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenf├╝hrer

Yup, that's most excellent of them to do it that way.

moT likes this.
  7. moT

moT New Member

I may need a Bernie owner's manual. The middle switch position sort of works. I have to have both volumes up to get sound out for the middle position. If I have the neck volume maxed and the bridge volume all the way down I get nothing. If I then turn up the bridge volume both pickups get louder depending on how much I turn it. In other words the volume for both pickups in the middle switch position is whatever the lowest volume is.

Is that how it is supposed to work? I am new at this stuff as I have never had two volumes before, but that doesn't seem right. I just don't know.

8. andross182

andross182 New Member

What you describe is how most 2 volume 2 hum bucker guitars work. My Tremonti and my Les Paul both operate the same when my pickup selector is in the middle position.

moT likes this.
  9. moT

moT New Member

Looks like I have some explaining to do.

10. bodia

Yep, that is how it works on my Bernie too.

moT likes this.
  11. DHW

DHW New Member

As the others said, this is just how it works. You can use that "feature" as a kill switch. When you are in the middle position the signal travels through both volume pots so either one can kill it all if they are turned to zero. It can be kind of a balancing act to find exactly what you are looking for when you start tweaking them but as long as neither goes to zero you should still have sound.

moT likes this.
  12. moT

moT New Member

Called Dave's to explain my ignorance. They took it in stride. Don't know if they cancelled the replacement Bernie in time that they were sending. Probably already on the UPS truck. I probably should keep it as a reminder to myself if it does come.

bodia likes this.
  13. DHW

DHW New Member

Anyone could use 2 bernie's! Better call back with the credit card lol

Dusty Chalk and moT like this.
  14. moT

moT New Member

Already done. Just in case.

15. moT

moT New Member

Checked the shipping number. Bernie #2 has left the building. I think my best course of action would be to not get it out of the box and march over to UPS and pay for a return ride back to Dave's. Of course I could tape it up after I take a peak and it would be nice to have a spare just in case and ... which is why I need to not look and just send it back. Somebody throw some cold reason on me before I start melting down and/or hoarding (more) guitars that I don't need.

16. DHW

DHW New Member

You need a spare... What if one needs to go in for repairs or a setup... What if you decide you want to keep one tuned and setup for a half step down or some other alternate tuning? What if one just doesn't feel right that day?

Dusty Chalk, dsenoj and moT like this.
  17. moT

moT New Member

Not helpful!

18. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenf├╝hrer

See, I don't have this problem. I wouldn't want two of the exact same guitar.

Of course, I would wonder which one sounded better, and would want to keep that one...

moT likes this.
  19. fender1punk

fender1punk Certified Guitar Hoarder

What if the top on Bernie #2 is nicer than Bernie #1, you won't know unless you open the box. :D

moT likes this.
  20. bodia

C'mon, look at the rest of us. The disease is already taking hold. Just like Lays, you can't stop at one!

moT likes this.