New Basement Studio

The door through the wall for the cat's pan way my squeeze's idea. I have to say it is one of the coolest little extras the basement has seen.

Consider this post a heads up for some new pics soon of the finished room with stuff in it. I'm arranging and re-arranging amps and drums and desk parts. I started with a pretty big room and it suddenly shrunk!

closet5.jpg

Plenty of room to expand here.................................. I like it :biggrin:

Plenty of room to expand here.................................. I like it :biggrin:

I had to raise the drop ceiling 1 inch to get enough clearance for the shelf and guitars on top. It took me 20 minutes to get the "drop in" fluorescent fixture in there because that 1" gobbled up all of my ceiling wiggle room.

And while there is room in the closet, I'm finding that room in the room itself is at a premium with all the things I want to stuff in there... pics soon

Last edited:
I had to raise the drop ceiling 1 inch to get enough clearance for the shelf and guitars on top. It took me 20 minutes to get the "drop in" fluorescent fixture in there because that 1" gobbled up all of my ceiling wiggle room.

And while there is room in the closet, I'm finding that room in the room itself is at a premium with all the things I want to stuff in there... pics soon

Do you have room for a thin pc. of carpet on the foor? That hardwood floor sure is beautiful...............................:eek:

Do you have room for a thin pc. of carpet on the foor? That hardwood floor sure is beautiful...............................:eek:

Yeah - I'm going to get a couple more of the runners I used on the shelf to protect the floor as I slide cases in and out...

I've been framed!!
That's the sump pump in the far right corner - a challenge to design around itself...

-Cant' believe what a fantastic job you have done!
I'm sure you've already thought of it, but just in case, a battery back up to the sump pump might be a good insurance policy for all the work you have done. :)

You need the obligatory Persian rug for the main part of the room.

I have a wacky rug from IKEA that looks like a cross between a waveform and a Jackson Pollock painting....

-Cant' believe what a fantastic job you have done!
I'm sure you've already thought of it, but just in case, a battery back up to the sump pump might be a good insurance policy for all the work you have done. :)

Exactly, My battery back-up has come into play more than once!

Fortunately our lot is kinda hilltop and well graded. The major action for the sump is the condensation tube from the air conditioner. The next thing I really do have to put in there is a fan for radon. There already is an exit pipe to the roof. Why the builder didn't install the fan is a mystery since he did put in the pipe to vent the fan... :eek:

Looks great... Just one question ... Pink walls????

I spent a night in a "Pepto Bismol" pink holding cell in Boston once - long story, not very exciting. But to this day I get weirded out by pink walls.

Last edited:
ah - more brown / fleshy color. That's much better. Flashbacks averted. ;-)

{insert fanfare music here}

I started on this last room on August 1 - and here it is October 1. That's not too bad for a project that has to fit into a normal work schedule... Evenings and weekends are where the work was done.

Here are the photos I have been waiting for!

paint6.jpg

paint7.jpg

The neon came from a local wing bar that closed - picked it all up at auction. The Ravens neon was the real prize - I had wanted that piece ever since I first saw it in the bar 5 years ago or so.

Putting together the modular desk I made in 1978. No nails or screws - just dowel pins so I can take it apart.

desk1.jpg

desk2.jpg

The new room stuffed to the gills:

crowded1.jpg

crowded2.jpg

If it is too bright, I can always play by the soft glow of the neon alone...

glow1.jpg

glow2.jpg

My Forum badge from themike is proudly displayed :)

Last edited:
HAHAHA NICE! Dude it looks awesome! Becareful with the neon signs, you might get some hum from them :)

It came out amazing.

Pretty impressive to see from start to finish. Congrats on the new space but by the looks of things you already are in need of an expansion :D

Back