New Audition Call Up

Toledo Bob

Upper Columbia River Basin just south of Canada.
Hi Gang,
I got a call 2 days ago to audition for a new band/gig. Quick background ... been playing Blues and Bluesrock for lots of years now. This new band is a current Top40 format. I don't mind the musical whiplash. They have drums, keyboard, bass and singer. They want a guitar player so I got the call. Chords and rhythms are what they are. I would like some advice from you "kids" [no offense intended] who are already playing this style. I play mostly clean with a little distortion. What FX are you all using? Their rehearsal CD covered everything from Marley-like to Michael Jackson-like. Any helpful advice for this old Bluesman? Thanks in advance for your input.

I would recommend a good delay pedal for sure. Maybe even one with a tap tempo, I have the Visual Sound Tap Delay (single). Other than that... that's a tough one, pop music these days has so little guitar in it (at least it seems that way to me), but I don't hear a lot of other effects very often. Maybe chorus?

I would recommend a good delay pedal for sure. Maybe even one with a tap tempo, I have the Visual Sound Tap Delay (single). Other than that... that's a tough one, pop music these days has so little guitar in it (at least it seems that way to me), but I don't hear a lot of other effects very often. Maybe chorus?

OK now. I've got that covered so far. Yeah I agree about the pop music. After playing guitar driven stuff all these years it will be a change. I am thinking that I will be more of a rhythm style player. My audition is tonight. More later. Thanks for your input.

The Strymon pedals will bring you a long way. Not cheap though. For delay, a TC Electronic Flashback is also another option. Killer delay and inexpensive.

I too have joined a band that does more pop music than I'm used to doing. I am the only guitar player in this group but what I find odd is the fact that I don't use my clean channel at all. I end up using my lead boost and roll vol back on guitar to clean it up, seems to make transitions from clean to slightly dirty to dirt a little smoother. I also find myself using a lot of different delay settings for different songs just to shake things up a bit.

My G-Major has spill over delals which may not sound like a big deal but I really like that feature.

Would like to hear how audition went.

That's cool Bob. Sit back and bang out some cool clean guitar magic! I would love to hear your group.

The group I'm in had a really good guitar player but he died of a massive heart attack last fall, he was 37 years old. Total shock to everyone. Although I didn't know him I remember hearing about it. They couldn't find any decent guitar players and ended up hiring these two young guys to take over. They weren't very good and got fired about the time my last band split up.

Anyway, we are gigging like crazy so it's all good.

Good luck with the new group.

Thanks gush. Yes it is nice to be gigging again. I have now had two practices and two live play dates. Really digging my new ZMSETG. I put 10s on her with no problems at all. I am so used to playing 10s the 9s just felt weird to me. I tend to over stretch 9s so at times I can play a chord and it sounds out of tune, but it is just me. 10s are great. Used powdered graphite on the nut - couldn't find any Big Bends Nut Sauce around here - worked just fine. Hey the gig yesterday was held at a huge "counter culture" weekend event. I discovered that "counter culture" out here means clothing optional for women. Holy cow! Saw the best and worst of that crowd to be sure. Not often I see a 20ish model type walking around wearing nothing but a G-string! hahaha Happy our audience was a bit more conservative. Tough to have interest in two different areas on stage if you catch my drift. Anyhoo a big YAHOO for PRS guitars. Mine rocks like a hurricane even without any fx at all. Best wishes all.

Back