New appreciation for PRS SE Line

I know I have said this before but I gave an S2 a long, long look in order to feel and see differences in my SEs and this particular S2. It was 2020 s2 custom 22. The wood quality may be better, the finish may be better. The neck is slightly and I mean ever so slightly rolled compared to SE necks. Honestly, if the SE custom 24 platform takes the carve of the Paul’s and 35 anni SE, and change the veneer to maple used for the S2 line, the S2 customs could be replaced. That’s how good my SEs are! Just my $0.2

Photo%20Jul%2002%2C%206%2001%2007%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2002%2C%206%2000%2053%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2002%2C%205%2059%2038%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2002%2C%206%2000%2022%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2002%2C%206%2001%2030%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2002%2C%206%2002%2059%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2002%2C%206%2003%2021%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2002%2C%206%2003%2043%20PM.jpg

Congrats man! They really are ALOT of bang for your buck. I've had 5 total over the last 3 years and I can't say enough good things about them...period.

All 4 of my PRSi are SE's. And each one is a fantistic instrument. I have a 30th Anniversary Custom 24, a SE 245, an A55e and a Kestrel Bass. I've modded the CU24 and the 245 to make them my own. The A55e and Kestrel need no modification as i feel they are perfect as designed and built.

I think what makes the SE line great, is that they are relatively inexpensive to upgrade to your own specification and the mods only make them better.

All 4 of my PRSi are SE's. And each one is a fantistic instrument. I have a 30th Anniversary Custom 24, a SE 245, an A55e and a Kestrel Bass. I've modded the CU24 and the 245 to make them my own. The A55e and Kestrel need no modification as i feel they are perfect as designed and built.

I think what makes the SE line great, is that they are relatively inexpensive to upgrade to your own specification and the mods only make them better.
That’s cool, If I mod any I’ll probably add more American parts. Lamp shade knobs and locking tuners are a must. What is funny is I owned a ce 24 years ago (2003) and I could tell you how it felt vs these SEs. Hell, I’ll probably follow your lead grab an acoustic and a bass but not before I grab a hollow body though! Cheers!

I’m really impressed with the quality of the SE A55. It’s tone is so sweet! It’s not a loud guitar like my Seagull mini-jumbo, but sounds so much better!
The only “flaw” I’ve found is the Ebony fret board was a little brown initially, but PRS’s fretboard cleaner blackened it up nicely.

SEs are the perfect gateway to the world of PRS. Yes, the SE models stand on their own as great instruments (I have a few), but the S2’s meticulous craftsmanship make the line so easy to play. The difference is real! Then, when you’re ready to experience how well a guitar can be built, the core and PS lines will blow you away. They spend A MONTH on the neck, alone! Few guitars compare to the workmanship found in my core PRSi and you can get that every single time you buy, reliably. There’s something special about running your fingers down the edge of a deep violin carve. Priceless.

SEs are the perfect gateway to the world of PRS. Yes, the SE models stand on their own as great instruments (I have a few), but the S2’s meticulous craftsmanship make the line so easy to play. The difference is real! Then, when you’re ready to experience how well a guitar can be built, the core and PS lines will blow you away. They spend A MONTH on the neck, alone! Few guitars compare to the workmanship found in my core PRSi and you can get that every single time you buy, reliably. There’s something special about running your fingers down the edge of a deep violin carve. Priceless.
Well, I’ll take that as gospel. I haven’t had an S2 in my hands for more than half an hour. It was meticulous crafted, I just couldn’t “feel” a large difference with the time I had with it.

So now, PRS guitars, you don’t have do a silver sky but an SE 305 will keep a strat out of my stable. Make it happen.

I am also really impressed with the quality of the SE. I just got my first PRS and it's an SE Standard 24 Tobacco Sunburst. You can call me crazy, but I didn't want the carved top or veneer. I love the gorgeous top, the gorgeous back and the neck is perfect.

But I haven't figured out how to post a photo. Is there a secret handshake or what?

But this is cutting into my practice time, so I'll check back tomorrow.

Last edited:
I am also really impressed with the quality of the SE. I just got my first PRS and it's an SE Standard 24 Tobacco Sunburst. You can call me crazy, but I didn't want the carved top or veneer. I love the gorgeous top, the gorgeous back and the neck is perfect. Welcome to our world.

But I haven't figured out how to post a photo. Is there a secret handshake or what?

But this is cutting into my practice time, so I'll check back tomorrow.
There is a thread somewhere on how to post pictures. In short you need to make at least three posts, and use a third party imaging site tho make your pictures visible.

My single cutaway SE is my go to. I grab it over my LP Studio or Fender Standard Strat. Trying to decide on getting a semi-hollow or full-hollow next. Best looking/playing guitars out there.

I just bought my first PRS - SE Custom 24 Floyd GB. Fabulous guitar and an obvious choice for me since floyd-less guitars make me feel a bit claustrophobic.

I've compared it to an S2 model (sorry, don't know which one exactly) and yeah, you can definitely feel the superior craftsmanship in an S2, but I honestly found no playability increasing features as SE's are very well made as well.

That being said, I do have to say mine has some finishing... mishaps, shall we say (e.g. lacquer on the neck has a very rough end next to the fretboard above 12th fret. Also, a few frets have small hard lumps on the edge - like dried up glue or something. It's nothing serious and barely noticable after a few days use now, but it was a tiny bit of a buzzkill.
But other than that, yeah, a very fine guitar. Beautiful finish, set neck leaves all the high frets easily accessible, FR1000 does a good job staying in tune. I love the pickups, split neck sounds amazing on clean channel of my brother's Fender Deluxe 900 I'm currently using since I'm in a COVID prolonged amp buying process myself. Fretboard itself is very clean, frets are nicely smooth and other than lowering the action by barely 4/64ths of an inch, that was pretty much it for the setup out of the box.

Also, while I'm at the subject, I have to ask since I never owned a guitar with a push/pull pot, is it normal it has a bit of leeway in rotation in both directions? It is easier to rotate than the volume pot and I know they usually are, but I did not know they had leeway if that is in fact normal? My reasoning was it's normal since it stops you from screwing up your tone while pushing/pulling the pot, but I just never used these on a regular basis so don't know much about them.

Back