New appreciation for PRS SE Line

Discussion in 'Forum Rules & News' started by Mazakou, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Mazakou

Mazakou New Member

I know I have said this before but I gave an S2 a long, long look in order to feel and see differences in my SEs and this particular S2. It was 2020 s2 custom 22. The wood quality may be better, the finish may be better. The neck is slightly and I mean ever so slightly rolled compared to SE necks. Honestly, if the SE custom 24 platform takes the carve of the Paul’s and 35 anni SE, and change the veneer to maple used for the S2 line, the S2 customs could be replaced. That’s how good my SEs are! Just my $0.2

TheDoktor, Wakester and Black-Viper75 like this.
  2. Mazakou

Mazakou New Member

3. Mazakou

Mazakou New Member

Trying to post photos

4. Mazakou

Mazakou New Member

5. Mazakou

Mazakou New Member

6. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

Congrats man! They really are ALOT of bang for your buck. I've had 5 total over the last 3 years and I can't say enough good things about them...period.

Mazakou likes this.
  7. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

All 4 of my PRSi are SE's. And each one is a fantistic instrument. I have a 30th Anniversary Custom 24, a SE 245, an A55e and a Kestrel Bass. I've modded the CU24 and the 245 to make them my own. The A55e and Kestrel need no modification as i feel they are perfect as designed and built.

I think what makes the SE line great, is that they are relatively inexpensive to upgrade to your own specification and the mods only make them better.

Mazakou likes this.
  8. Mazakou

Mazakou New Member

That’s cool, If I mod any I’ll probably add more American parts. Lamp shade knobs and locking tuners are a must. What is funny is I owned a ce 24 years ago (2003) and I could tell you how it felt vs these SEs. Hell, I’ll probably follow your lead grab an acoustic and a bass but not before I grab a hollow body though! Cheers!

Wakester likes this.
  9. Roy

Roy Still warming up

I’m really impressed with the quality of the SE A55. It’s tone is so sweet! It’s not a loud guitar like my Seagull mini-jumbo, but sounds so much better!
    The only “flaw” I’ve found is the Ebony fret board was a little brown initially, but PRS’s fretboard cleaner blackened it up nicely.

10. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

SEs are the perfect gateway to the world of PRS. Yes, the SE models stand on their own as great instruments (I have a few), but the S2’s meticulous craftsmanship make the line so easy to play. The difference is real! Then, when you’re ready to experience how well a guitar can be built, the core and PS lines will blow you away. They spend A MONTH on the neck, alone! Few guitars compare to the workmanship found in my core PRSi and you can get that every single time you buy, reliably. There’s something special about running your fingers down the edge of a deep violin carve. Priceless.

ScottR and Roy like this.
  11. Mazakou

Mazakou New Member

The cool splits are niiiiiice. Especially on the neck.

12. Mazakou

Mazakou New Member

Well, I’ll take that as gospel. I haven’t had an S2 in my hands for more than half an hour. It was meticulous crafted, I just couldn’t “feel” a large difference with the time I had with it.

13. Mazakou

Mazakou New Member

So now, PRS guitars, you don’t have do a silver sky but an SE 305 will keep a strat out of my stable. Make it happen.

14. Squirrel

Squirrel New Member

I am also really impressed with the quality of the SE. I just got my first PRS and it's an SE Standard 24 Tobacco Sunburst. You can call me crazy, but I didn't want the carved top or veneer. I love the gorgeous top, the gorgeous back and the neck is perfect.

But I haven't figured out how to post a photo. Is there a secret handshake or what?

But this is cutting into my practice time, so I'll check back tomorrow.

#34 Squirrel, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  15. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

There is a thread somewhere on how to post pictures. In short you need to make at least three posts, and use a third party imaging site tho make your pictures visible.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  16. singularity6

singularity6 New Member

I dig my 35th Anniversary SE Custom 24. I wouldn't mind having a Custom 24 with a Floyd, and one of the Hollowbody II (with, or without piezo... still undecided.)

Wakester likes this.
  17. John H Hock

John H Hock New Member

My single cutaway SE is my go to. I grab it over my LP Studio or Fender Standard Strat. Trying to decide on getting a semi-hollow or full-hollow next. Best looking/playing guitars out there.