• The PRS Forum will be shut down for a large portion of the day on Wednseday Feb 28th while we perform some maintenance.

New Amp -OR- Midpriced modelers -OR- Is anyone here (still) playing a Tonex?

Off topic, and I know I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but my charming daughter has Down Syndrome. She graduated high school with a diploma. She is now taking 3 intro courses at junior college, the same classes typical kids take, and she is holding A’s. She has a pretty tough final in her American Sign Language class, so that could slip. I think she’s solid for her interpersonal communication class and intro to hip-hop class. It’s taken some support, some monitoring and a lot of nagging, but she’s doing great. She is completely independent in the comm and hip-hop classes. We drop her off late morning, and pick her up early afternoon. My lovely wife attends the ASL class with her, and provides a lot of support. That class is hard. It’s fully immersive, like essentially no talking, all signing. OK, super proud papa moment over, back to my ever shifting rig dilemmas and other first world struggles…

Off topic, and I know I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but my charming daughter has Down Syndrome. She graduated high school with a diploma. She is now taking 3 intro courses at junior college, the same classes typical kids take, and she is holding A’s. She has a pretty tough final in her American Sign Language class, so that could slip. I think she’s solid for her interpersonal communication class and intro to hip-hop class. It’s taken some support, some monitoring and a lot of nagging, but she’s doing great. She is completely independent in the comm and hip-hop classes. We drop her off late morning, and pick her up early afternoon. My lovely wife attends the ASL class with her, and provides a lot of support. That class is hard. It’s fully immersive, like essentially no talking, all signing. OK, super proud papa moment over, back to my ever shifting rig dilemmas and other first world struggles…
Sounds like she's on her way, awesome!

This looks like a stupid good deal. One bum LED though...

This looks like a stupid good deal. One bum LED though...

Hmmm... There are equally good deals on Stage units...

There’s a good deal on a powered toaster and foot control locally, but just outside my cash flow range atm.

Stage or toaster, toaster or stage…
If I didn't gig, strangely I might go Stage. It's sorta less complicated, in that no additional cable for footswitch, and has built-in Wifi for mobile apps.
For gigging though I like the head/remote combo, as there's no need for power at my feet, and just a single cable to backline/amp/speaker.
At home though with a Stage you can have it on a desk for manual twiddling, or throw it on the floor for standup playing and switching along with Rig Manager and apps.
May your journey be successful/fruitful... :)

If I didn't gig, strangely I might go Stage. It's sorta less complicated, in that no additional cable for footswitch, and has built-in Wifi for mobile apps.
For gigging though I like the head/remote combo, as there's no need for power at my feet, and just a single cable to backline/amp/speaker.
At home though with a Stage you can have it on a desk for manual twiddling, or throw it on the floor for standup playing and switching along with Rig Manager and apps.
May your journey be successful/fruitful... :)
I’ll likely never gig, maybe the odd jam session. I kinda visualize the stage similarly to how you describe it. The WiFi and iPad option especially. I’d probably be fine with either. The heads look like a cross between Rosie from the Jetsons and Bender from Futurama, so I’d kinda hate to miss out on that. I think either will work, so best deal wins.

I think think getting the Kemper as my next “thing” makes the most sense. Unless I can get a deal I can’t pass up on an Archon, or a TC for that matter. Some of the value of an Archon to me, is that it isn’t complicated inside. Not quite point to point, and chassis mounted tube sockets. Pretty old school. My Mkv25 is complicated inside, and I suspect the TC is also.

Separate post for this question - how are he “built in” effects in the Kemper? I typically use OD, delay, reverb. Fuzz and I haven’t decided if we get on together yet. I want to branch out to phaser, flanger and chorus. I use a Blues driver Waza, a sugar drive (klone-ish) and a Keeley Caverns (reverb and delay, kinda with an ambient focus). All work just fine for me. If the Kemper has similar quality, that will save some room and money. Probably cost me time fiddling.

I’ll likely never gig, maybe the odd jam session. I kinda visualize the stage similarly to how you describe it. The WiFi and iPad option especially. I’d probably be fine with either. The heads look like a cross between Rosie from the Jetsons and Bender from Futurama, so I’d kinda hate to miss out on that. I think either will work, so best deal wins.

I think think getting the Kemper as my next “thing” makes the most sense. Unless I can get a deal I can’t pass up on an Archon, or a TC for that matter. Some of the value of an Archon to me, is that it isn’t complicated inside. Not quite point to point, and chassis mounted tube sockets. Pretty old school. My Mkv25 is complicated inside, and I suspect the TC is also.
:D Yeah, gotta say the "Steampunk" style of the head is pleasing to me. Certainly not for all...

:D Yeah, gotta say the "Steampunk" style of the head is pleasing to me. Certainly not for all...
The look has totally grown on me. Rosie, Bender, Robot from the original Lost in Space… you can guess when I grew up.

Separate post for this question - how are he “built in” effects in the Kemper? I typically use OD, delay, reverb. Fuzz and I haven’t decided if we get on together yet. I want to branch out to phaser, flanger and chorus. I use a Blues driver Waza, a sugar drive (klone-ish) and a Keeley Caverns (reverb and delay, kinda with an ambient focus). All work just fine for me. If the Kemper has similar quality, that will save some room and money. Probably cost me time fiddling.
I cannot find an effect that won't work for me... Maybe I'm not a purist. Maybe I'm just a rhythm player... My band is happy, and so am I. :)

I’ve got a Helix. I’m regularly tempted to get a Kemper. Why? I have no clue, other than the idea that it might somehow give me something that I haven’t found in the Helix.

Intellectually, I know I’m wrong about that. The Helix through my Powercab+ sounds fine and I (meaning me, as an individual) won’t get anything more out of a Kemper. My problem is that it turns out I don’t enjoy having a ton of options. I spend time playing with the options, rather than playing my guitar. I never really get anywhere.

I’ve always been a gadget guy. Lately I feel like I waste too much time on the gadget and not enough on the substance.

I’ve found I’m happiest when I keep myself to a simple guideline: If I’m not going to play for very long, I turn on the Helix. I stick to whatever patches I already have. If I’m going to play longer, I use my MDT into a PS2 that feeds a Waza 4x12. I truly enjoy that sound. No pedals, no effects, just amp and guitar.

When I have more time, I’ll go down the rabbit hole of using the Helix with the MDT. I‘ve been intentional (disciplined?) about not doing that, just due to my lack of guitar time.

I sold a pod go due to option paralysis. I’m hoping the Kemper provides a richness of options for amps and effects, but a much shallower rabbit hole for tweaking each amp or effect. I could then focus on 1 to 3 or so amp models/presets/profiles whatever we call them to get started.

I sold a pod go due to option paralysis. I’m hoping the Kemper provides a richness of options for amps and effects, but a much shallower rabbit hole for tweaking each amp or effect. I could then focus on 1 to 3 or so amp models/presets/profiles whatever we call them to get started.
Well, the rabbit hole is of a different kind. Profiles - unless you make your own - can be a rabit hole. I stuck with my own for about 18 month now, profiles I shot again recently for some additional depth. That helps with the rabbit hole, but there are a gazillion amps on rig exchange and comercially = quite the rabbit hole. And tbh; not all vendors are created equal and not all given praise for a vendor is correct under my fingers.

Effectswise HX was easy, few parameters, just badic flavour boxes. Recently they shifted a little with reverbs and delays towards the kemper side. More parameters, less different stompbox style effects.

Kemper effects are easy enough if you underdstand the concept, but require tweaking a little. The better HX reverbs have the same nowadays.

There’s a good deal on a powered toaster and foot control locally, but just outside my cash flow range atm.

Stage or toaster, toaster or stage

Can't go wrong with either, imho... Love my Kemper. (I got the Toaster and foot controller. Still have a PODGo too, though)...

Totally great “super proud papa moment”

Back