New Amp Day - David Grissom DG 30

Tahlee

Tollywood Rhode Island
D1366665-813-D-4-B4-F-8121-59-D5491-F8438.jpg

I am willing to admit that I may have a problem. I am addicted to tube amplifiers. At this point, I’m not ready to seek help for it. I am embracing it.

Thanks, guys. I’m really happy with it.

I almost bought one back in 2015 but I bought the PRS 25th Anniversary head instead since it was limited and I knew that I could get a DG 30 in the future. I mentioned on a thread that I wanted one of these heads some day.

Sergio told me that he has a DG 30 so when some day comes to keep him in mind. I know that he loves Santanas. I have two but I had forgotten that I really don’t like having 24 frets. So, I offered him a trade: my Santana 3 for this head, and he reluctantly accepted. I say reluctantly because the guitar is teal and falls in the category of “blue guitars”. :D

When the head arrived, I marveled at how much effort Sergio put into safely packing it. He invested some time and really went the extra mile. The head was in a padded cover and in a box. Then that box was inside a larger box with cut to fit styrofoam surrounding it. Each tube was pulled and wrapped in bubble wrap. And, he included a tube diagram so that I would know where they went. Oh, and he gave me a fancy electrical cord for it. One of those expensive ones. If you ever have the opportunity to buy from or trade with Sergio you will not be disappointed.

Awesome! I can’t wait to hear your take one it, and the Grissom cabinet too. I had an old Gibson combo many years ago the had two different sized speakers in it. They like that sort of thing!

As you have a 25th/HXDA, I’m looking forward to your review on how they compare.

Edit: Just noticed those are EL84s in there. That a whole new world, too. Really curious now!

Awesome! I can’t wait to hear your take one it, and the Grissom cabinet too. I had an old Gibson combo many years ago the had two different sized speakers in it. They like that sort of thing!

As you have a 25th/HXDA, I’m looking forward to your review on how they compare.

Hi Rick. I haven’t had enough time with it to fully explore it, but my first impression is that it’s a different animal altogether. The Reverb makes the clean settings more lush and I find EL84’s to have a cleaner clean sound than EL34’s.

So, my first impression is that my 25th Anniversary (almost an HX/DA) is all Marshall all the time, whereas I feel like the DG 30 has prettier cleans. My immediate thought was that this could be an amazing amp for my pedals. Just a beautiful clean sound for me to build upon.

Again, I haven’t given it much love yet, so I’m sure there is much more to it. I have a feeling that she also likes to get dirty.

Here is my 25th Anniversary and the DG 30, on a little bench until I get the cabinet. The bench matches my plywood floor. :D

267-A218-C-7129-4-A89-A4-BA-1-D8-CE3684527.jpg

Last edited:
C8-FDA922-54-A4-4-D67-97-FE-A7-A3-D8-C79884.jpg

The diagram says JJ above the pre-amp tubes, so I think that’s the brand they used. Mine has Brimar 12AX7s and the 12AT7 for the Reverb is a made in USA JAN Philps tube.

Last edited:

The diagram says JJ above the pre-amp tubes, so I think that’s the brand they used. Mine has Brimar 12AX7s and the 12AT7 for the Reverb is a made in USA JAN Philps tube.
SOLID improvement in tubes and tone. Someb-ergio invested in a really nice upgrade!

I think there were some that came loaded with Brimars, kind of a limited edition thing. Or maybe Sergio just put them in later. Either way, solid acquisition!

SOLID improvement in tubes and tone. Someb-ergio invested in a really nice upgrade!
I think there were some that came loaded with Brimars, kind of a limited edition thing. Or maybe Sergio just put them in later. Either way, solid acquisition!

I never opened it up until I had to ship it off, so it wasn’t me that bought tubes.

I got it from @Rider1260, who got it from Bodia, and it was actually Bodia that bought all the fancy pants stuff for it ie: cover and cable.

I never opened it up until I had to ship it off, so it wasn’t me that bought tubes.

I got it from @Rider1260, who got it from Bodia, and it was actually Bodia that bought all the fancy pants stuff for it ie: cover and cable.
Ahhhh! And I bet he did the tubage. Whoever did it did a good thing!

There might have been some limited editions, but all the charts and amps I’ve looked at had JJ pre tubes. The original HXDAs came with Winged C power tubes, but I am not up on the DG series. For my savings account’s sake, I might need to stay uninformed!

The tube chart shows a Sovtek rectifier tube, and the power tubes there are Russian too, I think. They might have been Sovteks too.

Last edited:
Ahhhh! And I bet he did the tubage. Whoever did it did a good thing!

There might have been some limited editions, but all the charts and amps I’ve looked at had JJ pre tubes. The original HXDAs came with Winged C power tubes, but I am not up on the DG series. For my savings account’s sake, I might need to stay uninformed!

The tube chart shows a Sovtek rectifier tube, and the power tubes there are Russian too, I think. They might have been Sovteks too.

Dunno... I think he may have bought it secondhand? It might be the only positive example of “previous owner” in the history of mankind. :p

Back