New Amp Day: Blistertone 50!

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
New Amp Day: Blistertone 50!

[Where the heck have YOU been? I'll get to that later.]

Facing the question which has been asked a thousand time, but this time for real, "If you could have just one amp, which one would it be?" I started looking very closely at the PRS Blistertone 50.

Why?
1.) Affordable (relatively speaking, and yes, used, not new.) This time around I REALLY needed to quit buying brand new gear and keep my cost to a very reasonable minimum.
2.) Someone online said that if you play at least 75% of the time with really high gain and or clean tone really isn't that important to you "this amp is for you". I resemble that remark.

But which cabinet to pair it with? I went back to my local small guitar shop/Marshall dealer where I bought back my old Marshall model 1936VT 2x12 cabinet which I had traded in on something else a couple of years ago. He still had it.

Very happy upon my first impression plugging my 30th Anniversary CU24 into the amp and opening it up. A lot of complexity to the tone. Tone as thick as my Uncle Richards flapjacks but also a tight fizzyness on top too. Pretty much the full spectrum of tone I was hoping to achieve. The most immediate impression was the tone seemed to have somewhat of a Mesa Dual Rectifier flavor but overall so far I really dig it.

A short description of the tone? How about a tsunami sized tidal wave of Heavy Metal!

IMG_20200627_163404172 by Melvin Snappy, on Flickr

########################################################################

So, this is the first time I've been here since last year.
Here's the short version of what happened.
Dead of winter,
no job,
no money,
wife's mother gets kidnapped by wife's evil older sister,
evil sister drains her mom's bank accounts,
then evil sister railroads mom into an old folks home,
evil sister then makes a move to seize control all the family estates and get my wife & I tossed out into the cold with nowhere to go,
lost 25 pounds from stress,
then scrambled to sell off gear as emergency effort to raise cash.
Doing this I lost 3 guitars, my drum set, and a room full of half stack amplifiers.
I accepted a low-ball job offer and got hired to get more cash coming in.
A month later we found where mom was being held and sprung her out of there and she came to live with us.
Wife's evil sister successfully stole one house via fraudulent title transfer.
We hired a great lawyer, launched a lawsuit, things are starting to turn around and I'm trying to rebuild our lives and a little bit of what was lost.
A very humbling experience, especially knowing that others have fared far wors than us in these strange times.
Time for a Grateful Dead quote:
What a Long Strange Trip It's Been

Holy CRAP!
And... HOLY CRAP!!!!!

First... Good on ya for springin' mom and getting things back together. Evil sister needs a good day of reckoning! Also best of luck with new job opportunities as well!
Second... Awesome amp! You don't see a lot of those, and this one found a great home, congrats!

Sorry to hear about all the horrible things that have happened.

Glad for you that things are getting better.

Congratulations on the new amp. Make some great music!

Oh my gosh. Hang in there, man. That’s quite a crazy tale.

That’s fantastic that you got your old cabinet back. It was meant to be yours. I hope you love the new head.

I’m glad your situation is coming around! I saw a video with Paul demonstrating a Blistertone, and wondered why they weren’t more popular. They were sure aptly named!

Congrats on the amp! Always wanted to try one.

Sorry about the misery your ‘family’ caused you, your wife and your mother in law - how horrible! Glad it’s going to be resolved in the end!

Wow. What a wild ride. Glad to hear things are starting to turn around for you and yours. Stay safe out there, buddy!

Back