New 594 model

Like Drew mentioned, I would instantly get this if there was a model that had a humbucker in the bridge and a P-90 in the neck. I am aware of the Chris Robertson SE Model but those are only being sold in Europe currently.

To illustrate what @Deli6505 mentioned, here's my SE Chris Robertson. I added Phase II tuners and lampshade knobs.

full

p-90 in the bridge is almost useless. My opinion is they should have put a bucker in the bridge and a p-90 in the neck.

Wow. I don't get that at all. How many great records have been made with goldtop LPs with P90s, LP Juniors, SG's with P90's, etc.? The sound of a vintage voiced P90 in the bridge of a mahogany bodied guitar is the sound of rock, IMO. I have a '96 R4 I bought new that is unmatched in that regard, and I own and gig with 14 other electrics, including my 4 PRS.

I'm with Shawn that the older PRS P90s were too compressed. Glad to see the change.

Wow. I don't get that at all. How many great records have been made with goldtop LPs with P90s, LP Juniors, SG's with P90's, etc.? The sound of a vintage voiced P90 in the bridge of a mahogany bodied guitar is the sound of rock, IMO. I have a '96 R4 I bought new that is unmatched in that regard, and I own and gig with 14 other electrics, including my 4 PRS.

I'm with Shawn that the older PRS P90s were too compressed. Glad to see the change.

I'm with you!

A fair point but just because other people did it doesn't mean it's for everyone. I'm kinda in agreement that bridge P90s don't do anything for me personally - except as noted above, in the middle position on a 2-P90 guitar, and that I might get more mileage in general out of a humbucker.

(My *favourite* bridge pickup of all time is a FilterTron... or something that sounds like it...)

p-90 in the bridge is almost useless. My opinion is they should have put a bucker in the bridge and a p-90 in the neck.

With P90 guitars, the bridge pickup is almost solely there to inform what the middle position sounds like, IMO.

So P90/P90 is cool even if the switch never hits the bridge position because the middle position has its own thing happening, but P90/HB is more versatile overall - still a great middle sound but also more useable on the bridge.

You guys are kidding right? For rock music, a P-90 in the bridge is all you need.

The beauty of P-90s with separate volume and tone controls is using the middle position to blend in a bit of the neck pickup to get a fatter version of the bridge position.

These new Soapbar pickups are a big improvement to older style we used in the past IMO. The new SB's have more of a vintage voice, while the older ones have a higher output and sound more compressed to my ears.

I can attest to the older P90's being hot! The ones in my Mira 25th have more output than most of my humbuckers (mostly vintage output). They can be a shade dull on a rounder sounding clean amp, but through something glassy like a Deluxe... divine! And the drive tones are fatter than fat.

How much does this make me not want a 594 soapbar? Zero. ***sigh***

These new Soapbar pickups are a big improvement to older style we used in the past IMO. The new SB's have more of a vintage voice, while the older ones have a higher output and sound more compressed to my ears.

Definitely the right call for the vibe of the 594, IMO. I'm glad to see PRS moving away from overwound everything when it comes to pickups.

It's easy to put something more powerful in the bridge if you want to move from the vintage-inspired formula to something different. Also totally doable to convert the P-90 rout to a humbucker.

Yes, Leslie West seemed to do ok with a 1956 Les Paul Junior

Definitely the right call for the vibe of the 594, IMO. I'm glad to see PRS moving away from overwound everything when it comes to pickups.

PRS has always built terrific playing and looking guitars, but some of the early pickups left me (and others) cold. Paul's biggest improvement to our guitars in the last 10 years has been the research/development/production of some truly amazing sounding pickups. Although these Soapbars aren't made by PRS, they fit in well with the more recent family of PRS pickups.

PRS has always built terrific playing and looking guitars, but some of the early pickups left me (and others) cold. Paul's biggest improvement to our guitars in the last 10 years has been the research/development/production of some truly amazing sounding pickups. Although these Soapbars aren't made by PRS, they fit in well with the more recent family of PRS pickups.

I would absolutely agree with that. The LT's have magic in them.

That's a reaching assumption if I've ever seen one. Speak for yourself, it may not work for you, but it will work for plenty of others.

That's a reaching assumption if I've ever seen one. Speak for yourself, it may not work for you, but it will work for plenty of others.

I think when he started with "my opinion" it's fair to say he was speaking for himself.

Just because something is a thing for some people doesn't mean it's a thing for everyone.

Wow that is sexy!

35834635956_9aea8990e0_b.jpg

I admit, that is a compelling argument.

However... I must ask. Any of you p90 lovers ever consider putting humbucker sized p90s in your 594?

If not, then why would p90s be such a coveted feature? I mean if you really wanted p90s, wouldn't you have already tried the offerings from respected builders?

I admit, that is a compelling argument.

However... I must ask. Any of you p90 lovers ever consider putting humbucker sized p90s in your 594?

If not, then why would p90s be such a coveted feature? I mean if you really wanted p90s, wouldn't you have already tried the offerings from respected builders?

Because hum sized P-90s aren't the same as true P-90s. In order to fit the humbucker form factor, the coil size has to be changed, and they usually use thinner wire.

100% agree especially if you more into vintage type tones.

Back