New 5 way switch mod available thru PTC

If you want we can discuss about it via pm and I can draw what you 'explain', maybe we can combine forces and bring this diagram to light to help fellow users

Here's a schematic I've put together to show what I think is possible. I have to say that I'm much better with Photoshop than I am at wiring so while this might look good, it might not work. I'm pretty sure that it'll do what I think it should, but it might hum like crazy when the tone knob is pulled because the black leads won't go anywhere. That's what I'm most interested in finding out.

I've modified the schematic to give neck humbucker and bridge slug in position 4.

With the tone pot in the "down" position, the circuit is as normal with the black leads running to the switch. In the "up" position, it switches the red leads in place of the black leads. The "flying" leads from the top lugs allow them to work in both positions. This is all theory of course. I'm just hoping that someone who knows a lot more than me can either confirm or correct the schematic.

https://flic.kr/p/22Hxzf7

22Hxzf7

Last edited:
I've finally got around to trying a version of this circuit in an SE. I used a Fender super switch, which is slightly different from the PRS 5-way blade, but it works much the same (and costs a lot less). It gives the combinations shown above including the single-coil sounds as described with the push-pull switch in the up position. This way, I have the eight different combinations of humbuckers and single coils using a 5-way switch and a push-pull. Eventually, I hope to work up the courage to do this to my P22.

any news about this mod? I live in Europe and it would be impossible to perform as I'd have to ship the guitar to the usa.

If you use the schematic I've posted, you'll get the same results and a more logical layout than the PTC version.

If you use the schematic I've posted, you'll get the same results and a more logical layout than the PTC version.

Thank you for working on this mod. I'm highly interested in your schematic but alas I can't see it... Can you please check?

Argh, my stupid fault. Or more precisely that of Opera. Viewing the page with Firefox revealed the schematics...
Thanks for reposting it :)

No problem. If you decide to install it, please post your findings.

I've also worked out that you can use the older wafer-style rotary switch and a push-pull to give the same combinations. You can't do it with the PCB rotary though. You lose the in-series single coils and the outside coils as options but you get eight different sounds including both humbuckers and mixtures of single coils and humbuckers.

I had this done last year to my Custom 24. It really makes a big difference being able to dial in true single coil tones.

The PTC has created a wiring mod for the 5 way blade switch. The PTC can add a push/pull pot to your existing guitar to give you 3 additional singlecoil settings.

You get the 5 standard settings from your switch when the push/pull pot is in the down position, but in the UP position, the humbuckers are tapped to single coils. Giving you 3 additional settings (position 1, 2 and 4 are identical)

So, here are the standard positions with push/pull in the Down position:
■Position 1: Bridge humbucker
■Position 2: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
■Position 3: Bridge and neck humbuckers
■Position 4: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
■Position 5: Neck humbucker

And this is what you could get with the push/pull in the UP position:
Position 1: Bridge Single coil (coil closest to neck)
■Position 2: Bridge Singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)
■Position 3: Bridge and neck single coils (coils closest to the neck)
■Position 4: Bridge singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)
■Position 5: Neck Singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)

This mod will add another chapter to an already versatile instrument. The price is $125 plus shipping
If you're interested, please complete the form found here: https://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/contact.html and we can get the process going.

Thanks mate
Do you think that's possible to rewire completely the prs 5 way in order to act like the ibanez 5 way?
(Bridge humbucker
Bridge + neck single parallel
Bridge + neck parallel
Neck parallel
NEck)

and adding a push pull to split everything?

Thanks

It should be possible, but you need the older wafer-style rotary switch to do it.

Damn, so fitting another 5 way like the fender crl I suppose
I wish it could be made with the prs switch as I really like the feel of it and the toggle cap :)

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the PRS rotary 5-way - probably because my last post was about the rotary switch. Yes, I'm pretty sure you can rewire the PRS 5-way blade to do that. The PRS switch is very similar to a Fender super switch or Ibanez switch with a couple of poles removed. The missing ones are just the ones that aren't used in a normal wiring setup.

Is this option still available? I have a 2011 Custom 24.

The PTC has created a wiring mod for the 5 way blade switch. The PTC can add a push/pull pot to your existing guitar to give you 3 additional singlecoil settings.

You get the 5 standard settings from your switch when the push/pull pot is in the down position, but in the UP position, the humbuckers are tapped to single coils. Giving you 3 additional settings (position 1, 2 and 4 are identical)

So, here are the standard positions with push/pull in the Down position:
■Position 1: Bridge humbucker
■Position 2: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
■Position 3: Bridge and neck humbuckers
■Position 4: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
■Position 5: Neck humbucker

And this is what you could get with the push/pull in the UP position:
Position 1: Bridge Single coil (coil closest to neck)
■Position 2: Bridge Singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)
■Position 3: Bridge and neck single coils (coils closest to the neck)
■Position 4: Bridge singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)
■Position 5: Neck Singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)

This mod will add another chapter to an already versatile instrument. The price is $125 plus shipping
If you're interested, please complete the form found here: https://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/contact.html and we can get the process going.

Back