New 5 way switch mod available thru PTC

The PTC has created a wiring mod for the 5 way blade switch. The PTC can add a push/pull pot to your existing guitar to give you 3 additional singlecoil settings.

You get the 5 standard settings from your switch when the push/pull pot is in the down position, but in the UP position, the humbuckers are tapped to single coils. Giving you 3 additional settings (position 1, 2 and 4 are identical)

So, here are the standard positions with push/pull in the Down position:
■Position 1: Bridge humbucker
■Position 2: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
■Position 3: Bridge and neck humbuckers
■Position 4: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
■Position 5: Neck humbucker

And this is what you could get with the push/pull in the UP position:
Position 1: Bridge Single coil (coil closest to neck)
■Position 2: Bridge Singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)
■Position 3: Bridge and neck single coils (coils closest to the neck)
■Position 4: Bridge singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)
■Position 5: Neck Singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)

This mod will add another chapter to an already versatile instrument. The price is $125 plus shipping
If you're interested, please complete the form found here: https://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/contact.html and we can get the process going.

sure it's very interesting mod with a decent price. a very good deal. thanks fro sharing

Hi Shawn,

Is there anyway that one could get hold of a 5-way rotary drop in replacement that would give older PRS guitars equipped with the 5-way rotary the new switching positions? Maybe then this new add-on could also be added?

Unfortunately the 5 way rotary switch (PC board variety) has pre-set positions that cannot be changed.

^^^ We can do it with a rotary switch as well^^^

Shawn, what would the extra sounds be like on an older Custom with 5 way rotary? My 95 Custom has the PC board variety.

I did put in a coil tap(Neck PU) into something like this years back and the only useful sound I got was the Neck Single Coil...

Last edited:
Hey guys. Sorry to necro a thread but not having much luck on getting a schematic. Shawn and I exchanged PMs (thanks Shawn!) and PTC doesn't offer this anymore and can't get me schematic for non-standard items. Does anyone have a schematic for this? I'm more than comfortable doing it myself. Thanks!

Jeff

Shawn and I exchanged PMs (thanks Shawn!) and PTC doesn't offer this anymore and can't get me schematic for non-standard items.

Does this mean you have the standard schematic for PRS pickups?

I have a P22 coming in the next couple of weeks and I've been looking at the wiring to see if I can figure out how the push-pull works on this mod. Now, I'm no electronics expert - in fact I don't know that I really know anything at all about it - but I'm inquisitive enough to poke at things that I have no right to touch and see what happens. I've come up with something but I don't know if it works...

If I make a slight modification to the fourth position to give neck humbucker and bridge single coil, am I right in thinking that I could install a push-pull tone control and wire the reds to the middle lugs, running them to the switch from the bottom lugs of the switch and to earth/ground from the top lugs (possibly via a pair of resistors) when the pot is pulled to give the following?

1. Bridge humbucker splits to bridge single coil
2. Bridge humbucker and neck single coil split to bridge single coil on its own
3. Both humbuckers split to both single coils
4. Neck humbucker and bridge single coil split to neck single coil on its own
5. Neck humbucker splits to neck single coil

That way, all eight combinations of humbuckers and single coils are available with a five-way blade and a push-pull. Of course, I may be completely wrong and end up with a whole lot of hum and sparks so I'd appreciate it if someone with any genuine knowledge and experience felt like weighing in.

Here is my 2 cents on it. With the 5X/0X pickups I believe the white lead is the tap. On the current schematic for the P22 I would place the push-pull in place of current tone pot and run existing wires to the same lugs. Then you will need to run a lead from middle lug on push-pull to grd and them a jumper from switch white to bottom lug on push-pull. This would be for one pickup. you would use the other side of the Push-pull to do the same for the second pickup.

Result
BLADE POSITIONS

• Position 1: (down) Bridge Humbucker
  • Position 2: Bridge Humbucker with Neck Single-coil
  • Position 3: Bridge and Neck Humbuckers
  • Position 4: Neck Single-coil with Bridge Single-coil
  • Position 5: (up) Neck Humbucker

Tapped-push-pull engaged
BLADE POSITIONS

• Position 1: (down) Bridge single
  • Position 2: Bridge single with Neck Single-coil
  • Position 3: Bridge and Neck both single
  • Position 4: Neck Single-coil with Bridge Single-coil---maybe drop in volume?
  • Position 5: (up) Neck single

The fun part is to experiment and try it out. I could be totally off here.

Last edited:
We need schematics on this one. For those who aren't living in AmeriKa :)

With the 5X/0X pickups I believe the white lead is the tap.

The white lead is the tap with normal 5X/XX pickups, but the versions used with blade switches have black, white and red leads. The red is the tap in these pickups.

Thanks for your input. I'll probably end up experimenting. If I can't get it to work the way I want, I can just put it back the way it was.

Do you have also the same schematic for an old C22 with Dragon 2 and rotary switch? I really like all rotary switch sounds, but I need some real single coils form time to time.

Thanks

Ok, but how this schemtic will work with a push pull tone knob for HB split?

If anyone is able to draw a diagram for converting the cu24 wiring (5 way blade) into a 5 way and push pull like wardog said, I'd be extremely grateful! It would turn an awesome axe into a hyper versatile guitar

Now that I look at what i wrote. It makes more since to have push pull for each pickup. This would mean a push-pull pot for the volume and the tone. I believe this would achieve the tapped options I posted above.

Also, you would take tap lead for pickup to pot tap section first then to switch. That would do it for sure.

If I was good at diagrams I would draw the mod, but I am not very good at all. I can see it in my mind for sure.

Last edited:
Back