New 35th Anniversary Day!

21Hemispheres12

Old Member
Just got my SE Custom 24 35th anniversary in the mail yesterday. This is actually the first time I've ever played an SE so I was very excited to get my hands on it and see how it stacked up against my CE24 and my Custom 24. Long story short, I am not disappointed at all!

Long story long, I was looking around for a PRS made this year to commemorate the birth of my son on 2/20/2020. I was initially thinking of going for a core or possibly wood library, but that meant I had to sell some guitars to fund it and that's when I learned I'm finally at my happy place with guitars!

Moving in a different direction to something I was comfortable just paying cash for I finally landed on the SE Custom 24. It ended up being perfect because if my son starts playing guitar I'm going to pass it off to him as his first real guitar hopefully around age 10 or so.

I was looking around for a few days for one with a good top and this one immediately jumped out at me for it's wider flame and uniform look on both sides. Unpacking it the fit and finish was great and the set up was just how I like it so kudos to the Indonesia factory on that. Plugging it in the first thing I noticed was the pickups in these are hot! I had to dial them back more than my 85/15's but once dialed in they sound great! I did an A/B with my custom 24 for fun and I have to say these SE's are great, and not even just for the price!

The big differences I felt were in the pickups, neck shape and trem. I'm spoiled by core trems and the Mannmade trem in my CE24 so I will most likely be swapping that out eventually in the SE too. The 85/15's sound more clear to me but the TCI "S" pickups sound great in their own way. Finally, the neck seems a bit thicker on the SE and the shoulders are definitely more pronounced, this is probably my least favorite thing about the SE but it's certainly not a deal breaker at all.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with this and it will make a perfect first guitar for my son and a quality one that he can keep for a lifetime to boot!

Last edited:
Since your son and I share a birthday, I’ll just sit here with a huge grin on my face and say congratulations. And I’ll share...playing music with your children is one of the most magical experiences in the world. The first time I shared a stage with both my boys was the first time I lost my place in a song from getting choked up. I hope you have the opportunity to have that experience, too.

Great looking guitar! My SE is 14 years old and still plays like dream - yours will be nicely broken in for him 10 years from now!

Congratulations that’s a great gift for your son!

Since your son and I share a birthday, I’ll just sit here with a huge grin on my face and say congratulations. And I’ll share...playing music with your children is one of the most magical experiences in the world. The first time I shared a stage with both my boys was the first time I lost my place in a song from getting choked up. I hope you have the opportunity to have that experience, too.

Couldn’t agree more Kerry. Me and my wee lad a couple of weeks ago!

There has been no greater blessing in my life than my 2 sons. Consider yourself very lucky. Our children are our blessings. Of course, PRS guitars fall shortly behind that.

There has been no greater blessing in my life than my 2 sons. Consider yourself very lucky. Our children are our blessings. Of course, PRS guitars fall shortly behind that.

Of course, being trapped in a house with those "blessings" is pretty trying at times!

I love you, Claire!

way to slide on a new guitar while the wife is still doped up, and nice plan to blame it on the baby maybe needing one ten years or more from now. a true master.

Thanks all! The little guy just turned one month old today, time is sure flying being quarantined with a newborn and my PRSi! I don’t want to brag but my wife even let me keep this one on a stand in the living room ;)

Back