New 20yo guitar day.

Really fascinated by your results experimenting with amps, strings, and whatnot. And not surprised that although it didn't sound ideal all alone, in the mix the darker sound worked well with your band!

So is that you on bass while your bandmate played with your guitar? Or did you get to feel all the glory?

Really fascinated by your results experimenting with amps, strings, and whatnot. And not surprised that although it didn't sound ideal all alone, in the mix the darker sound worked well with your band!

So is that you on bass while your bandmate played with your guitar? Or did you get to feel all the glory?

I'm on bass. Sam is an apprentice tradesman.... lots of untapped potential, not a lot of extra cash. Someone payed it forward when I was younger, now I'm returning the favour.

The PRS is running into my Electra Dyne, which has 1959 and JCM800 levels of gain and is probably more suited to the Dragons than my Rectifier. Oddly, I've only played the pairing once... blue channel (1959) with the volume up, stepped on an overdrive and started playing Lamb of God. The crunch was incredible.

So... I'm going to revisit this thread today.

When I first got this guitar (CE22) I didn't bond with it. The Dragon 1's were too dark and compressed, particularly the Treble pickup. Great for straight up, full onslaught lead guitar, but kind of flat, dull and sterile for everything else and not particularly good for high gain rhythm. I also really hated the 2 and 4 positions since they sounded thin and plinky.

I've recently started using a different amp; Mesa TC-50 rather than a Dual Rectifier. The TC-50 is a lot brighter than a Rectifier with more upper midrange and less low mids. Think modded Marshall. Through this amp this guitar sounds like a million dollars. The neck is clear, the bridge is both articulate and it screams. The 2 and 4 position now sound like they have some body to them.

With the Recto the CE22 was always kind of muddy, but had nice harmonics. With the TC-50 it's articulate and it just sings.

So yeah.... really digging this guitar now. Kind of glad I never got around to swapping pickups out of it.

Now my only real complaint is that the metal side markers are hard to see.

Cheers!

And since Photobucket sucks, here's some reposted pictures;

mmPrnQt.jpg

Xxgdj7E.jpg

xVek2w5.jpg

pVWBrNf.jpg

Congrats it sounds like you've been on a real journey with this one, great that you've hung in there and worked it out rather than just changing pups and switches out.

I've been eying up the older CE's myself as i've always wanted one with the 5 way, - a proper 'old school' PRS. This thread has me gassing all over for one, hopefully one in the right colour at the right price will come along soon. The newer CE's just don't attract me as much.

Glad you found the guitar sounds as good as it should through the right amp!

Looking at your stage shots (love the fan-fed beer!), I am reminded how I wish I could wear hats while I gig for some sort of stage effect "costume" persona. I get so dang warm wearing a hat, it has to be a really cold* day and an outdoor gig for me to even consider it, and since I live in Florida, that simply doesn't happen often. Maybe I should try one of my lighter weight Aussie cattleman hats. Would look similar to yours.

* cold for Florida. If I still lived in Ontario, I'm sure I'd rock a touque half the year!

So... I'm going to revisit this thread today.

When I first got this guitar (CE22) I didn't bond with it. The Dragon 1's were too dark and compressed, particularly the Treble pickup. Great for straight up, full onslaught lead guitar, but kind of flat, dull and sterile for everything else and not particularly good for high gain rhythm. I also really hated the 2 and 4 positions since they sounded thin and plinky.

I've recently started using a different amp; Mesa TC-50 rather than a Dual Rectifier. The TC-50 is a lot brighter than a Rectifier with more upper midrange and less low mids. Think modded Marshall. Through this amp this guitar sounds like a million dollars. The neck is clear, the bridge is both articulate and it screams. The 2 and 4 position now sound like they have some body to them.

With the Recto the CE22 was always kind of muddy, but had nice harmonics. With the TC-50 it's articulate and it just sings.

So yeah.... really digging this guitar now. Kind of glad I never got around to swapping pickups out of it.

Now my only real complaint is that the metal side markers are hard to see.

Cheers!

And since Photobucket sucks, here's some reposted pictures;

mmPrnQt.jpg

Xxgdj7E.jpg

xVek2w5.jpg

pVWBrNf.jpg
Just love that last image, I must be monatonally inclined!

Back