New 2021 Models....no S2 love

Draconomics

Fearless Papa of The Brethren of the Crust
So, I'm a bit in the middle on how I feel about the new models. My takeaways are these:

Core stuff and bolt on.
- New core models look great. No complaints here.
- In demos, the Studio really sounds, at least to me, about perfect. I'm really digging that one. I'm thinking the Narrowfield pickups are sort of a modern take on a mini humbucker. I always liked minis and wish they were more utilized.
- I like the Fiore, I don't love it. The typical 80's era HSS Superstrat design in general is not my bag (and while true the Studio is kinda doing a similar thing, its a different animal), so I'd never buy one myself, but I like the execution, I like the idea, and Mark deserves it. He's a great player.
- Lunar Ice Silver Sky....there's one for the Reverb marketplace. I guess instead of investing in gold, just buy limited edition Silver Skies.

So on the S2 line and.....*crickets*
Is it just me or is the S2 line becoming the black sheep of PRS product lines? We still have the same kinda drab color palettes, no S2 bass model, no TCI pickup options for them. I'm a little stunned, unless I missed something. I think they are amazing instruments, I think they just need a little kick creatively.

Now to the SE models. I like the overall direction where the SE line is going. They've been creeping up in terms of looks and features through the years. I still remember the original Santana from like 2001, and how it almost looked like a reluctantly made product, still good but with almost nothing connecting it to PRS. It seems PRS is really invested in pushing the SE line into being something special.

- I'm a big fan of the 24-08 system, so nice to see it on the SE Custom line.
- Had no idea till now that the SE Paul's had a different carve. I feel happy and dumb for not noticing it before. I think in a thread here we talked about the idea of the possibility of an SE body carve more similar to the core versions. I feel like we are inching closer to that with every year (figuratively and literally speaking). Speaking of, a quick tangent...
- I still want an SE MCarty. Just do a a limited run, full violin carve top, make it the most souped up SE ever, sell it for $1400, and you will be swimming in cash. I will buy that yesterday.
- New colors are cool. The blue burst returns from being a 35th Ani thing last year, looks like pink is back, and of course the eriza verde. I need an Amazon rainforest green guitar in my life.
- The new Zach Meyers....ok, I feel like someone read my mind. I literally wanted a Singlecut in a light blue/cyan color, and lo! I was'nt quite digging the Trampas Green version with the...zebra pups (just no), but this I can get behind. Also, finally headstock veneer. Yay!
- No SE Silver Sky. I know its what everyone, myself included, wanted to see. There are logical reasons not to offer one (probably out of respect for dealers) so I can understand why none are offered....yet.
- Heard there was to be two new Paul's Guitar SE colors. Nope. Maybe later in the year.

Uhh....other stuff I guess.
- PRS Tuner. Shame, already bought a Peterson.
- No Amps? Kind of a shock. I though there would be at least one or two.
- Great work on the launch and presentation. I know a ton of work went into putting this thing together, so good job PRS.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of a Bass in the S2 line, would be great to have something between SE and top of the line, literally. An S2 Kestrel would rock.

The S2 594 Thinline is about $1499, not sure that an SE version for about the same price would sell.

The SE 24-08 is the 35th Ann setup, without the TCI pups. An excellent guitar, glad it is an option in the lineup, but not really new option since I already have the SE 35th Ann.

About that tuner...

I seriously was going to post a question to the forum about how/where the hell you guys fit your clip-on tuners, since IMO there ain't a lot of real estate to clip to on the PRS headstock. (And YES, I know the best place to put a clip on tuner is "not on the guitar at all," LOL... I hate the look too! But I'm talking for quick tweaking when I'm unplugged.) Do you suppose this tuner is designed specifically to fit on what little bit of wood is available up there???

I'm curious about the change to the pickup on the new Special Semi. On the original release the neck PUP was flipped backwards. On the new release they aren't.

So, I'm a bit in the middle on how I feel about the new models. My takeaways are these:

Core stuff and bolt on.
- New core models look great. No complaints here.
- In demos, the Studio really sounds, at least to me, about perfect. I'm really digging that one. I'm thinking the Narrowfield pickups are sort of a modern take on a mini humbucker. I always liked minis and wish they were more utilized.
- I like the Fiore, I don't love it. The typical 80's era HSS Superstrat design in general is not my bag (and while true the Studio is kinda doing a similar thing, its a different animal), so I'd never buy one myself, but I like the execution, I like the idea, and Mark deserves it. He's a great player.
- Lunar Ice Silver Sky....there's one for the Reverb marketplace. I guess instead of investing in gold, just buy limited edition Silver Skies.

Is it just me or is the S2 line becoming the black sheep of PRS product lines? We still have the same kinda drab color palettes, no S2 bass model, no TCI pickup options for them. I'm a little stunned, unless I missed something. I think they are amazing instruments, I think they just need a little kick creatively.

Now to the SE models. I like the overall direction where the SE line is going. They've been creeping up in terms of looks and features through the years. I still remember the original Santana from like 2001, and how it almost looked like a reluctantly made product, still good but with almost nothing connecting it to PRS. It seems PRS is really invested in pushing the SE line into being something special.

- I'm a big fan of the 24-08 system, so nice to see it on the SE Custom line.
- Had no idea till now that the SE Paul's had a different carve. I feel happy and dumb for not noticing it before. I think in a thread here we talked about the idea of the possibility of an SE body carve more similar to the core versions. I feel like we are inching closer to that with every year (figuratively and literally speaking). Speaking of, a quick tangent...
- I still want an SE MCarty. Just do a a limited run, full violin carve top, make it the most souped up SE ever, sell it for $1400, and you will be swimming in cash. I will buy that yesterday.
- New colors are cool. The blue burst returns from being a 35th Ani thing last year, looks like pink is back, and of course the eriza verde. I need an Amazon rainforest green guitar in my life.
- The new Zach Meyers....ok, I feel like someone read my mind. I literally wanted a Singlecut in a light blue/cyan color, and lo! I was'nt quite digging the Trampas Green version with the...zebra pups (just no), but this I can get behind. Also, finally headstock veneer. Yay!
- No SE Silver Sky. I know its what everyone, myself included, wanted to see. There are logical reasons not to offer one (probably out of respect for dealers) so I can understand why none are offered....yet.
- Heard there was to be two new Paul's Guitar SE colors. Nope. Maybe later in the year.

Uhh....other stuff I guess.
- PRS Tuner. Shame, already bought a Peterson.
- No Amps? Kind of a shock. I though there would be at least one or two.
- Great work on the launch and presentation. I know a ton of work went into putting this thing together, so good job PRS.

I was bummed not to see anything in S2 either, but I k ow they’re severely backordered on the S2 594’s, so I reckon they just didn’t want to strain the production line, in favor of fulfilling existing orders before a new release. I would be very surprised if S2 594 Semi-Hollows aren’t in the works. They sold so many S2 Semi’s of the previous models, how could they not? And, of the colors, actually some of the S2’s that I’ve seen since they switched to the CAB finish have looked amazing, the tops may not be the most figured, but the colors are excellent. Definitely agree on the TCI pickups though, although maybe they’re quietly getting that treatment - they alluded to it on the new ZM’s 245S pickups, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re doing it to the S2 pickups as well. But, it was a huge miss IMO not to put the TCI “S” pickups in the S2 35th, like they did in the SE Paul’s and 35th, because the coil split sounds were a big step up.

I'm curious about the change to the pickup on the new Special Semi. On the original release the neck PUP was flipped backwards. On the new release they aren't.

Not just that, but they’re different pickups, the original run had multi-tap pickups, which didn’t lose as much volume and fullness.

Last year was a huge year for S2. OK by me for PRS to slow the changes down on this line. YMMV

On TCI pickups, my understanding was all the pickups since early 2020 are TCI?

I really like the idea of a Bass in the S2 line, would be great to have something between SE and top of the line, literally. An S2 Kestrel would rock.

The S2 594 Thinline is about $1499, not sure that an SE version for about the same price would sell.

I think the bass would be great. Theres nothing between the $800 Kestrel/Kingfisher and the $4000 Grainger.

As for my McCarty idea, You know, I thought the same till they did the hollowbody 2 at $1500. When that came out, I was a little perplexed. I thought it odd there was an SE that competed directly with the higher end S2s.

Last year was a huge year for S2. OK by me for PRS to slow the changes down on this line. YMMV

On TCI pickups, my understanding was all the pickups since early 2020 are TCI?

I didnt think they were. I thought TCI pups was something only certain models had, and I dont recall a version for S2s. Could be wrong, Im goin by memory from when I was shopping S2s last spring. Honestly, the models in the S2 line are ace. Id just like to see more color variance. Sometimes it seems like the SE line has more vibrant color choices.

Overall, I was pretty impressed. Also, Jack even pointed out that there would be more stuff announced in 2021, so this isn't everything. Personally, I like that they save some things and sprinkle them throughout the year.

Overall, I was pretty impressed. Also, Jack even pointed out that there would be more stuff announced in 2021, so this isn't everything. Personally, I like that they save some things and sprinkle them throughout the year.

Oh sure, theres gonna be more stuff thru the year no doubt, I think thats great. Just wanted to see the S2 line get some attention (frankly, they are such amazing value, and I wanted an S2 bass :D). Kinda forgot how backordered they are on S2s. Sweetwater it seems hasnt had a fresh one roll in for a while. I was definitely not disappointed, and probably leaning more towards being impressed now.

the models in the S2 line are ace. Id just like to see more color variance.

There have been a number of custom finishes on the S2's released this year. Been tracking the various S2 McCarty 594 models; every other week a random store on Reverb has a custom color or burst.

Not something you're likely to see in a catalog. One of the ways to reduce cost is to build and stock inventory is to limit the number of colors produced. If your using high end materials and US labor, there are only so any places to make that up.

...I would be very surprised if S2 594 Semi-Hollows aren’t in the works...

This is exactly what I need, a S2 594 SC SH, to complete the set! I already have the S2 594 DC, and the S2 594 DC Thinline. They do make the S2 Cu 22 SH, so I think the top could certainly transfer to the S2 594. My only other option now is to go core for the SC SH.

S2s have been my go to because of price point and I love the neck carve... at least they didnt discontinue the line I guess...lol

All I wanted was a P90's McCarty S2 Thinline. That guitar begs for those pickups. The Fender Noventa line actually has me excited.

Hear alot of people who were hoping for some P90 stuff. Yeah, would have been cool. Just my crazy opinion, bu my brain cells are saying that PRS has gotten rid of the soapbar P90 in an effort to move on from them and move towards reintroducing the idea in the form of a modernized mini humbucker (Paul's Guitar TCI, or the Narrowfield on the Studio). I'm probably wrong.

Back