New 112 combo. question about adding extension cab

Gonzo

I’m a total neophyte when it comes to technical aspects so bear with me. I switched from a 2x10 (vobrolux reisssue) combo to a 1x12 (lonestar special) recently. I love the new amp but there is something missing which I suspect is related to having only a single speaker. My question is: if I add a 1x12 extension cab, will it function the same as if it had 2x12’s? To put it Another way, do the speakers work in tandem?

I believe this to be the case, which leads to my next question. How do i figue out how to make the proper connections, regarding ohms and other things that make my head spin? What wattage should the ext cab speaker(s) be?

I also think I prefer the “punchiness?” Of the 10’s over 12’s. I'm just so out of my element with this stuff that I’m not even sure this makes any sense. Could i add a 2x10 cab and get that sound i think i miss in this amp? Sound isn’t the right word. Sound characteristic?

Sorry, I just feel super lost while trying to google these questions.

The speaker in the lone star is rated at 8ohms, the ideal setup would be to get an extension cab with the same 8ohm rating then you would connect both the internal speaker and the extension cab using the two 4ohm jacks on the back of the amp.
You could also disconnect the internal speaker and just connect the extension cab by itself to the corresponding speaker jack

Edit: if you download the user manual for the lone star from the Mesa website, there is a whole section with diagrams about the different combinations of extension cab configurations along with safe ohm matches and mismatches.

Last edited:
Does your amp have a speaker jack in back or a jack for extension cab?

If it does then there will be an impedance rating for that jack. Probably printed next to jack. 16, 8 or 4 ohm.

You can buy a 2x10 cab in that impedance rating or you can build one. Just remember two 16 ohm speakers will not make a 16 ohm load. Wiring info is all over the Internet so that part will be easy.

Also, you could have a jack on the cabinet for each speaker too. So if you had a tube head that is switchable 16,8,4 ohms and more than one speaker jack you could have two 16 ohm speakers in your cab with each having its own input jack. Wire one to head and set to 16 ohms. Wire the second one and switch amp to 8 ohms.

Hope this helps.

You could post pics of the back of your amp so we can see what options you have.

The Lone Star can handle an extension cab easily. As someone else mentioned, the manual has lots of suggestions re: how to do it, and Mesas are fairly bulletproof when it comes to matching impedance, just read the manual.

The sound of two 112 cabs will be slightly different from a 212, simply due to the cabinet resonances and speaker interaction that happens in a 212 vs 112, but it’s a subtle difference.

You could also just disconnect the internal speaker and hook up a 212 cab. Or do both.

Love the 1x12 mixed with a 2x10 cab ( i like closed back these days )
I have also played a 4x10 cab that was KILLER !!!!!

Thanks all. Any suggestions for a good 2x10 cab? And I’m still a unclear but it sounds like i can run a 2x10 simultaneously with the built in 12?

You will have to read your manual but most likely yes. I would think the cab you use would need to match the impedance of the built in 12. If 12 inch is 16 ohm then you would probably want a 16 ohm cab and set your amp to 8 ohm.

I would not take my advise without reading b your manual.

Back