"Never underestimate the sheer impact of a thorough and proper setup..."

One thing I really miss about not living in New Hampshire any more is going over to have Mark Bishop set up my guitars.

as much as I took pride in really dialing BOTH of my DGTs today... My Lester that really needs a new ABR-1 or reasonable facsimile due to bent screws, etc. left me wanting a pro like Mark Bishop to "make things ok..."

There are some things I can do to my guitars but when a Master Craftsman blesses a guitar the end result can be glorious. I few months back I bought an Antique White SE Singlecut. It had a wonderful fit and finish. The stock humbucker were nice but I specifically bought the SE to put two of Pete Biltoft's HS-90's in it. They are humbucker size, metal covered P-90's. They sounded good in it but the 12,13 and 14th frets on the B&E strings didn't sustain. Rick Kneale in Springfield, Oregon worked over the frets to near perfection, added a bone nut and basically ported and polished it. I've never liked the phrase "It plays like butter" but I sure love playing this guitar. I've never had a guitar setup to this degree and I'm thinking I've been missing something.

For Christmas my wife got me the Stew Mac setup kit, which is an overpriced set of a few pieces of metal in a box. But man, I went through my guitars with those overpriced pieces of metal and the guitars all play like I just got them back from the shop!

For Christmas my wife got me the Stew Mac setup kit, which is an overpriced set of a few pieces of metal in a box. But man, I went through my guitars with those overpriced pieces of metal and the guitars all play like I just got them back from the shop!

John, some of us are tool users and some of us not. Sounds like you have some skills with tools.

John, some of us are tool users and some of us not. Sounds like you have some skills with tools.

I've never been a "tool user." When it comes to car repair, home repair, appliances, etc, I'm a "check writer."

But a few years ago I had a bad experience with a local guitar tech and vowed to never bring him a PRS again. So I got one of the StewMac kits that John mentioned, watched a few YouTube videos, read a few how-to articles, and now I'm a certified tool user. Most of the setup stuff is not as difficult as I thought. Maybe start out by practicing on beater guitars you have lying around, you'll be a tool user in no time. :)

Do you happen to have the Stewmac item # so I can check this out?

I have done my own setup tweaks for years but there always came that time where it just wasn't right - too much buzz and the action is too high. That's when I would take it in. I honestly feel now with just the straight edge and action gauge that I am able to do a way better job than eyeballing things. It amazing how when you have the right tools and follow the instructions, things turn out well. :)

The StewMac toolkit is great, cos measuring allows you to get your setup dialed in right every time. Well worth the time and $$$, and for anyone who owns US-made PRSi, it's a drop in the bucket, $$$-wise. :)

If you have as many guitars as I do, it's totally impractical to have someone else do your setup work. It also means you get good at it quicker 'cos you have to do it all the time!

Back