'Never Leave' Instruments

IKnowALittle

since I've thinkin' of selling some of my instruments, got me to contemplating about the ones that would never leave, regardless of my circumstances.

these are from my parents and most treasured.

#1 from my dad. not a guitar ... banjo ... Stelling Staghorn.
my dad bought this directly from Alan Munde in 1975 when he was playing the "el mocambo" with Country Gazette.

#2 again from my dad. 1977 Les Paul Deluxe with P90's along with a 1977 Music Man HD-130. played these for years.

#3 from my mom. 1968 D35.

#4 my PRS Studio from 2011 that is my exclusive gig guitar.
also, my 2011 "Tree of Life" limited run in black gold.
fabulously beautiful guitar.

Last edited:
That's rad you've got something to hold on to that reminds you of them.

It's weird, I have the #1 snare drum that belonged to one of my great friends and my musical brother who passed away.. Every time I bang on that thing it's like hearin' his voice, like we're still having a conversation, and I get to be with him a little bit.

It's really great that you have those instruments to remind you of your folks. I have an SG Special that my dad bought my brother in 1965. A few years ago I took it over to my brother's and said, "You should hang onto this." So it lives at his place now.

Glad you've set some "off limits" guitars. Good step towards thinning the herd without regret.

I've sold some gear that had sentimental attachment, but the memories live on. However, if I ever get my hands back on my mom's Yamaha small bodied acoustic, I don't see myself ever parting with it. It has never officially been mine, but it's the one that started it all for me.

My Ibanez Pat Metheny model came from my late father, can't play it (too big + bad back), can't sell it, planning on passing it on to my niece who's taking up guitar, to keep it in the family.

My first PRS...1996 CU22. Essentially paid for by my dad.
I can't ever see letting go of #5905. It was a special experience.

240FB070-4D33-4874-96E4-56680B9686DE_zpsohm72apr.jpg

Last edited:
Every guitar I have has sentimental value. My mom got the guitar I dreamed of owning as a kid, for my high school graduation. That ES-335 is a "cold dead fingers" guitar. My first PRS was a gift from my wife...cold dead fingers. The list continues for another 10 guitars. I get It.

That ES-335 is a "cold dead fingers" guitar. My first PRS was a gift from my wife...cold dead fingers.

Hospital orderly #1: What's up with the guy in 509?

Hospital orderly #2: You mean the guy who's been layin' there with his guitars, waiting to die?

Hospital orderly #1: Yeah. Creepy as hell, right? All this stuff about cold, dead fingers..

Hospital orderly #2: Well, he's dead.

Hospital orderly #1: Let's get those guitars.

Hospital orderly #1: Can't. He's wearing heated ski gloves. Fingers are gonna be warm for awhile...

I have a few "never ever" guitars.

First up, 1958 Martin 0-15 parlor guitar that my dad bought my mom in 1958. It's what I learned on.
TheFamily-1.jpg

My first PRS - 2006 Cu24AP
Em3.jpg

Best tone I own - Ce22 Standard
Ce222.jpg

Cu24AP stoptail now with 59/09 squabbins
20151203_225557_zpsaj5g9wz0.jpeg

I have a 1959 Gretsch Clipper and a '70s Gibson EB-3 bass that belonged to my father in law. I don't play them a whole lot, but as long as I stay married, they'll be staying. Other than those, the only absolute cold dead fingers guitar is a decent Japanese acoustic (Martin D-41 copy) from the '70s that I got at 15:
DSCF0026.jpg

I would say my 3 PRS are in the never leave category, but since it's been less that 3 years since I discovered PRS, I think it's too early to make that call definitively.......

Last edited:
My dads ancient L-5 resides with my niece in Richardson Texas. Just as well, it's old and probably wouldn't do Hawaii real well, either the trip nor the weather. It was the main reason I surrendered it and left it with her. She is the "curator" of most all things family related, furniture, photos, She's not a greedy or hoarder type, just common sense that the most treasured remain in one spot. We would never sell it regardless of fiscal situations. Of my own, I might one or two cheapies that I could easily let go, but my PRS, my Fenders, are not in consideration, ever.

Lots of great guitars.
This is my #5. Not my personal guitar, but exactly the same.
I bought mine in 1996, just before they where discontinued. Still my go-to acoustic/electric. I've tried to replace it, but I've never been able to find anything better or cooler looking.
https://reverb.com/item/441579-yamaha-apx-20d-acoustic-electric-guitar

This is my PRS "Tree of Life". Pics can't do it justice.
http://desafinados.es/prs-tree-of-life-custom-24/

Awesome guitars.

I have a worthless crusty old Jose Oribe classical Japanese copy that belonged to my father's extensive guitar collection before he passed. Unfortunately, every other guitar went to his wife - with whom he had been separated for years - who then promptly sold them all. I was able to snag this one though. I wouldn't trade it for a 59' Les Paul.

Back