Nervous about buying a used PRS

ExpatGirl

Hi Guys,
I'm looking at buying a used PRS with a V12 finish. I wasn't too nervous until I read the post that talked about problems with the V12 finish chipping. The PTC can fix it but if it's used, the guitar won't be under warranty.

So should I be concerned? Is this a reason not to buy a used PRS?

Thanks in advance. :)

I wouldn't worry at all. I've purchased several used PRS with no issue. You have to understand, sometimes there is a .0000001% chance where the guitar had an issue or it was mistreated in the store that caused it and it shouldn't reflect the general opinion of the products overall.

Buy it and enjoy it :)

Warranty isnt going to work on a used guitar, though!

Make sure you see lots of pictures, if you aren't going to be checking it out in person, Expatgirl!

Warranty isnt going to work on a used guitar, though!

Make sure you see lots of pictures, if you aren't going to be checking it out in person, Expatgirl!

Yeah, I can't check it out in person but there are some really good photos of the guitar. I've got a few days to make a decision.

You could always use the very few instances of V12 flaking as a bargaining tool, finish or no finish, it will be a guitar to last a lifetime.

Agreed. The edge of neck would be a likely place IF it happens at all. I had an older Strat style Daytona by Ham:::: that had similar problem along edge of neck, but like previously stated...haven't heard too much at all about PRS guitars having issues. Have purchased many used PRSi and never met a finish I didn't love!!!

... I wasn't too nervous until I read the post that talked about problems with the V12 finish chipping. ...if it's used, the guitar won't be under warranty.

So should I be concerned?... :)

If it were me, the underlying question would be: "Do I want to play it in public, or keep it in the house for its looks?" I have one I keep for its looks, BTW, but ALL the rest are players so chipping is not a concern to me. Very bad flaking would be a concern but if it sounded great I would just refer to it as my relic.

I don't have v12 issues but i have had problems with the polyester finish! the finish chipped off on the fingerboard. they told me that the rosewood was still a little oily and that might have caused the finish to lift. PTC fixed it, but it came back in a different spot on the neck! The guitar was a 57/08 limited edition. I sold it and turned it into a SIG.LIMITED, yeah... IT's ALL GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back