Needle In the Haystack

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
Its been a bit of a downer trying to get my hands on an early Tungsten SS with the case. But I'll tell you what, fellas, finding one with a DARK fretboard and dead quarter-sawn neck in has been the real challenge.

If you should run across something that might float my boat, help a brother out with a PM. If you post it, the lurkers might pounce before I do.

Does your SS have a quarter-sawn neck?

Questions I'll happily answer in advance:
1) No, I've never seen a PRS neck warp.
2) No, I don't think a quarter-sawn neck will make a lick of tonal difference.
3) Because I'm guitarded and that's the way I like my maple necks.

Image for the uninitiated.
maple%2Bneck.jpg

Is there a difference in tone or feel? Please forgive my ignorance.

Its been a bit of a downer trying to get my hands on an early Tungsten SS with the case. But I'll tell you what, fellas, finding one with a DARK fretboard and dead quarter-sawn neck in has been the real challenge.

If you should run across something that might float my boat, help a brother out with a PM. If you post it, the lurkers might pounce before I do.

Does your SS have a quarter-sawn neck?

Questions I'll happily answer in advance:
1) No, I've never seen a PRS neck warp.
2) No, I don't think a quarter-sawn neck will make a lick of tonal difference.
3) Because I'm guitarded and that's the way I like my maple necks.

Image for the uninitiated.
maple%2Bneck.jpg

I've got an S style that would float your boat. Wouldn't want to talk about it here, though.

I doubt all of the neck wood on the Silver Skys (or honestly almost all guitars) is quartersawn. The OP wants the grain of the neck to run at 90 degrees relative to the saw blade which can happen with slab sawn wood, but it's just happenstance.

Incidentally, depending on where the wood is in relation to the log, a quartersawn piece can still have grain that is NOT 90 degrees to the saw blade. It's still quartersawn, but the grain is not running at the 90 degrees the OP wants. Quartering wood is a process that may or may not produce grain running at 90 degrees to the saw blade.

Back