Need, Want, Bah!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by LSchefman, Jul 17, 2021.

1. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

The goal is to have the gear that makes us happy and gives us the sound we want. For some it’s the well worn, for some, it’s the new and shiny. I was a gear chaser for years, looking for certain sounds. I finally found all the ones I was looking for, and have slowly let some things go. This is after years of flipping for profit to step up higher on the quality ladder. Buying and selling is what keeps the game going. Tomorrow, I know I’ll step on stage with the guitar and amp of my sonic dreams. I’ll play for people who are there to get something positive a musician can give an audience. The other musicians are a joy to play with. The money sucks, and I have to take a day off work to do the gig. It’s still living the dream, and that’s what the gear we buy is for. Don’t second guess if it makes you happy.

2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Shoegazing Member

I look at it like this: am I feeling inspired? Or, perhaps, would a new piece of kit take me in a different direction that could prove inspiring? My best purchases have resulted in new songs or my completing an unfinished song within minutes of using it.

g.wizz, ooglybong, LSchefman and 2 others like this.
  3. CarolD

CarolD New Member

Hmmmm… having a lot of stuff makes me nervous. Isn’t that weird? I haven’t been playing a year yet, and managed to cycle through 3 acoustics before the electric bug bit me. I bought an SE HB II Piezo and am in love. I have one amp; a Yamaha desktop. I have one more small acoustic that I can’t wait to get rid of. It does occur to me that I might be screwed if my SE needs a trip to my tech for some reason (he’s always really backed up), and I need a travel guitar, so I’m on the hunt for a good travel electric. Maybe someday when my skills warrant it, I’ll move up to a core or a private stock…

4. markd21

markd21 New Member

Sevierville. You?

5. markd21

markd21 New Member

I've had my 30+ guitar and my vintage through modern amp collections. At this point I've realized that I am missing a couple of tones I really like - a tele/esquire and a Rivera amp. My mind has been gravitating towards grabbing a Squier Esquire and the Rivera Stage IV.

Will I? Probably not.

My session work is not at the professional level of Les'. The "producers" I work with often want DI'd guitars so they can pick the amp sounds that fit in the overall mix. I mostly use plugins for guitar tones. I have a Helix rack for my tones. I also use a Vox Ac15 and a Suhr reactive load for tracking. It works.

At the end of the day, I'm pleased with what I have and the tones I can achieve.

Alnus Rubra, LSchefman and bodia like this.
  6. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

There is nothing I need. Even some of the stuff in my house I don’t need. But I had a reason for getting everything when I got it. Sometimes that was curiosity that I could afford to satisfy.

I do like having choices. While some people get things to give them a specific tone, I’m more likely to set myself up for a different tone and see what it makes me do.

I would be sad for a while if I was reduced to fewer than:
    a good classical (my Laskin is a treat)
    a good steel string acoustic (I have a couple that could be The One)
    a nice hollowbody - most of you have seen my blonde burl PRS
    a McCarty - a have variations on this, the dragon or violin are most likely the last man standing

But for some years to come, I’ll likely also have:
    a Santana
    a single cut
    a Tele (my Thorn is the boss)
    a compact acoustic
    maybe even a strat

7. Simon Says

Simon Says New Member

I used to own few Riveras. Most recent one was M60. 2x12 combo, what an amp!

You should get one :)

LSchefman and markd21 like this.
  8. markd21

markd21 New Member

The M60 is killer. I endorsed Rivera in the 90s. I played the M/S amps. I had the M60, the M100 and the S120. They are awesome!!

[​IMG]FB_IMG_1626640983464 by mark denman, on Flickr

#28 markd21, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Alnus Rubra, Boogie, g.wizz and 2 others like this.
  9. markd21

markd21 New Member

Hmmm, I don't see my pic....did the way to post them change??

10. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Negative

11. markd21

markd21 New Member

Cool. Do you see it?

12. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I do not, but that happens to me when I’m on my iPad (I am now). Never have that problem when I am on the PC

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Nice post!!

Good advice, too.

RickP likes this.
  14. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I do stuff for the same reason. Most of the time! ;)

dogrocketp and aphantomvaper like this.
  15. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

That is a truly interesting Eurorack rig. I know the GrandMother...tell us about the rest of the modules you have!

dogrocketp likes this.
  16. Simon Says

Simon Says New Member

I had a massive crash on Rivera's back in the 90's. K series, then R combos. I wanted Fandago too. The only reason I sold my M60 is - it does what Boogie Fillmore does for me. Boogie was a bday gift and one needed to go.

markd21 likes this.
  17. Herr Squid

Herr Squid I was severely impressed

I too just bought a Moog, and wonder if this is what my future looks like...?

18. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

I’m a bit jealous

markd21 and dmatthews like this.
  19. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

[​IMG]

goat-n-gitter, RickP, bodia and 4 others like this.
  20. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

Depends.

Honestly, I’ve been content with my loot for a bunch of years. Yes, a shiny object (shaped like a toaster) came around and pulled me into the Mammoth Cave of rabbit holes, but I’m quite thankful and happy with what I have. Nothing in my living room is as pretty as most of your (collective) stuff, but that doesn’t bother me. Several of my closest friends are the most proliferate collectors on the planet, and if I let them, I’d be in a lot of trouble. Instruments just speak to me differently than most, and for me, that’s ok. I think they do for Les, too.

Les personifies “minimalist” in my book. He has a few choice guitars, pedals, and amps and justifies them with producing amazing material. Heck, even if you didn’t make a red cent with your stuff, it’s a conservative bag of gear. Thin the herd? If that makes you feel better. IMO, you did the research and justification to acquire theses things, don’t second guess yourself.

ok, I’m done bouncing between first and third person here…

dmatthews, veinbuster and dogrocketp like this.