Need, Want, Bah!

The goal is to have the gear that makes us happy and gives us the sound we want. For some it’s the well worn, for some, it’s the new and shiny. I was a gear chaser for years, looking for certain sounds. I finally found all the ones I was looking for, and have slowly let some things go. This is after years of flipping for profit to step up higher on the quality ladder. Buying and selling is what keeps the game going. Tomorrow, I know I’ll step on stage with the guitar and amp of my sonic dreams. I’ll play for people who are there to get something positive a musician can give an audience. The other musicians are a joy to play with. The money sucks, and I have to take a day off work to do the gig. It’s still living the dream, and that’s what the gear we buy is for. Don’t second guess if it makes you happy.

I look at it like this: am I feeling inspired? Or, perhaps, would a new piece of kit take me in a different direction that could prove inspiring? My best purchases have resulted in new songs or my completing an unfinished song within minutes of using it.

Hmmmm… having a lot of stuff makes me nervous. Isn’t that weird? I haven’t been playing a year yet, and managed to cycle through 3 acoustics before the electric bug bit me. I bought an SE HB II Piezo and am in love. I have one amp; a Yamaha desktop. I have one more small acoustic that I can’t wait to get rid of. It does occur to me that I might be screwed if my SE needs a trip to my tech for some reason (he’s always really backed up), and I need a travel guitar, so I’m on the hunt for a good travel electric. Maybe someday when my skills warrant it, I’ll move up to a core or a private stock…

You live once, dude. Why have just one guitar? I am a minimalist yet I have quite a few electric guitars now. I resisted the urge for years and kept 3 maximum and rotated them. But, now I've let loose and love the variety. I play a LOT of different styles. There is a lot of awesomeness in wanting to play some 80s rock and having a Charvel to grab. Maybe playing some 70's Rush and being able to grab the 335. I don't play Steve Vai as well as I'd like but I have my Ibanez PIA for when I do. I have a couple of JP models for the Dream Theater stuff. Could I play those styles on other guitars? Sure. But, why not just have the right tool for the job? That's where my head is at. If I run out of room, I'll get a bigger house.

I've had my 30+ guitar and my vintage through modern amp collections. At this point I've realized that I am missing a couple of tones I really like - a tele/esquire and a Rivera amp. My mind has been gravitating towards grabbing a Squier Esquire and the Rivera Stage IV.

Will I? Probably not.

My session work is not at the professional level of Les'. The "producers" I work with often want DI'd guitars so they can pick the amp sounds that fit in the overall mix. I mostly use plugins for guitar tones. I have a Helix rack for my tones. I also use a Vox Ac15 and a Suhr reactive load for tracking. It works.

At the end of the day, I'm pleased with what I have and the tones I can achieve.

There is nothing I need. Even some of the stuff in my house I don’t need. But I had a reason for getting everything when I got it. Sometimes that was curiosity that I could afford to satisfy.

I do like having choices. While some people get things to give them a specific tone, I’m more likely to set myself up for a different tone and see what it makes me do.

I would be sad for a while if I was reduced to fewer than:
a good classical (my Laskin is a treat)
a good steel string acoustic (I have a couple that could be The One)
a nice hollowbody - most of you have seen my blonde burl PRS
a McCarty - a have variations on this, the dragon or violin are most likely the last man standing

But for some years to come, I’ll likely also have:
a Santana
a single cut
a Tele (my Thorn is the boss)
a compact acoustic
maybe even a strat

You live once, dude. Why have just one guitar? I am a minimalist yet I have quite a few electric guitars now. I resisted the urge for years and kept 3 maximum and rotated them. But, now I've let loose and love the variety. I play a LOT of different styles. There is a lot of awesomeness in wanting to play some 80s rock and having a Charvel to grab. Maybe playing some 70's Rush and being able to grab the 335. I don't play Steve Vai as well as I'd like but I have my Ibanez PIA for when I do. I have a couple of JP models for the Dream Theater stuff. Could I play those styles on other guitars? Sure. But, why not just have the right tool for the job? That's where my head is at. If I run out of room, I'll get a bigger house.

Nice post!!

Good advice, too.

Granted it’s not a One, but I bought a Moog and it opened a whole new can of gear worms.

46635-F1-C-EE67-4133-AFD6-396-DC99-A4-BD2.jpg

Some days I feel like I’m making the score to Stranger Things, some days I feel like the phone operators in the 50’s.

That is a truly interesting Eurorack rig. I know the GrandMother...tell us about the rest of the modules you have!

The M60 is killer. I endorsed Rivera in the 90s. I played the M/S amps. I had the M60, the M100 and the S120. They are awesome!!

FB_IMG_1626640983464 by mark denman, on Flickr

I had a massive crash on Rivera's back in the 90's. K series, then R combos. I wanted Fandago too. The only reason I sold my M60 is - it does what Boogie Fillmore does for me. Boogie was a bday gift and one needed to go.

Depends.

Honestly, I’ve been content with my loot for a bunch of years. Yes, a shiny object (shaped like a toaster) came around and pulled me into the Mammoth Cave of rabbit holes, but I’m quite thankful and happy with what I have. Nothing in my living room is as pretty as most of your (collective) stuff, but that doesn’t bother me. Several of my closest friends are the most proliferate collectors on the planet, and if I let them, I’d be in a lot of trouble. Instruments just speak to me differently than most, and for me, that’s ok. I think they do for Les, too.

Les personifies “minimalist” in my book. He has a few choice guitars, pedals, and amps and justifies them with producing amazing material. Heck, even if you didn’t make a red cent with your stuff, it’s a conservative bag of gear. Thin the herd? If that makes you feel better. IMO, you did the research and justification to acquire theses things, don’t second guess yourself.

ok, I’m done bouncing between first and third person here…

Back