Need, Want, Bah!

László

Too Many Notes
Dear Abby:

11Top once responded (intelligently) to one of my posts about whether I needed a particular guitar, saying, "Who said anything about need?" or something akin to it.

I was thinking about that today as I played my 30th PS CU24. I played it through all of my amps, and couldn't help thinking, "What the heck do I have other guitars for? This guitar does everything I want a guitar to do, and the HXDA does everything I want an amp to do."

I often have similar thoughts when I play any of my PRSes!! And I have similar thoughts when I play through my DG 30 with any of my guitars.

True, it's not about need, in theory. But sometimes it's about...yeah.. do I really need this much stuff?

I'll admit it, I am VERY wishy-wash about this. There are times I need every single guitar and amp. There are times I'm perfectly happy with any combination of them.

Should I sell all but one guitar and amp and invest the money in something else, like a Moog One Synthesizer?

Wishy Washy in Detroit

I recently downsized my rig. Two guitars, one amp. I’m moving to a smaller place that’s downtown and walking distance to the bar scene.

I kept a Les Paul, a Telecaster, and a Mesa TC-50. Everything else went on consignment.

After about a week or so I went and got my McCarty back. Do I need it? Not really. I’m in a weird position where if I kept the McCarty I don’t really need the LP or Tele, but if I keep the LP and Tele I don’t really need the McCarty. Having all three is fairly redundant.

But, since when was any of this about need?

All relationships with everything you encounter in your life are about how much do you want to give in that relationship, how much do you want to take from that relationship and are you comfortable with the balance of those two elements at this point in time. True of people, the chair you are sitting in, the roof over your head, the food you eat, car you drive, everything. So, what do the guitars give you? Variety, beauty, tactical pleasure, tools for your trade, etc. And what are they taking from you? They are taking space, they are a store of wealth that could be used for other purposes, they take time out of your days as you think about keeping them or selling them or playing them, etc.

So I would say, if you have the space, and you don't need the cash, then selling them is not necessary or mentally nourishing. But that would be for his grace to decide!!!

Good luck with your laundry wishy washy!!!

Happy hordin'!
MW

My personal belief is that one should down only as many guitars as he or she believe it will take to accomplish what tone one might need for a specific application. Amassing a collection is acceptable in some folks' viewpoints because of the collectibility value.

Other than that, there is no right or wrong in owning guitars. I just don't feel a need for owning more than what any given effect, amp or cab can produce tone-wise.

My reasoning is based on my Fractal, which has hundreds of various tones; all adjustable. I own 2 guitars, both PRS. My musical repertoire can't justify owning more than 2 guitars. If it could, I might find a need for owning more guitars. That's just not the case here.

Granted it’s not a One, but I bought a Moog and it opened a whole new can of gear worms.

46635-F1-C-EE67-4133-AFD6-396-DC99-A4-BD2.jpg

Some days I feel like I’m making the score to Stranger Things, some days I feel like the phone operators in the 50’s.

For me, once I got an MEV I was done. I look at other guitars, but for what I'm doing these days (recording singer-songwriter sessions and my own material) what I have satisfies. All I NEED is an acoustic...and I played a gorgeous P20e that'll fit the bill.

Simplifying life, by moving here to TN, put me in a spot where having my current gear makes me miss stuff I had in the past and creates an itch. But, when I actively try new gear I realize that what I have is perfection.

It's a weird place to be....

For me, once I got an MEV I was done. I look at other guitars, but for what I'm doing these days (recording singer-songwriter sessions and my own material) what I have satisfies. All I NEED is an acoustic...and I played a gorgeous P20e that'll fit the bill.

Simplifying life, by moving here to TN, put me in a spot where having my current gear makes me miss stuff I had in the past and creates an itch. But, when I actively try new gear I realize that what I have is perfection.

It's a weird place to be....
Where are you in Tn Markd21

You live once, dude. Why have just one guitar? I am a minimalist yet I have quite a few electric guitars now. I resisted the urge for years and kept 3 maximum and rotated them. But, now I've let loose and love the variety. I play a LOT of different styles. There is a lot of awesomeness in wanting to play some 80s rock and having a Charvel to grab. Maybe playing some 70's Rush and being able to grab the 335. I don't play Steve Vai as well as I'd like but I have my Ibanez PIA for when I do. I have a couple of JP models for the Dream Theater stuff. Could I play those styles on other guitars? Sure. But, why not just have the right tool for the job? That's where my head is at. If I run out of room, I'll get a bigger house.

Where are you in Tn Markd21

For some reason I was thinking he was out east towards Knoxville.

Les, I often think of moving gear around. I did it once with a Hollowbody that was "pre-loved" with the eventual goal of landing a Bonnie pink DGT. I traded the Hollowbody for a McCarty and eventually bought the Hollowbody back because it was such a good guitar.

Les, you’re a talented pro. So at least there is a tax benefit to the depreciation of value with your gear. Pity the fools like me (untalented) who have way too much gear for my needs/ability. For us depreciation means we lose money. I’d write more on the topic but it’s time to go shopping for more gear that I absolutely need to stave off a premature horrible death.

Should I sell all but one guitar and amp and invest the money in something else
If that is how you make your money, isn't it already an "investment"?

I am pretty sure you could take some of the income that is earned using those fiddles and "invest" THAT in something else.

Or have I lost my mind? :confused:

Back