Need tuner help!

dogrocketp

I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!
Peeps! I got a beat to snot Custom 22 Soapbar that has Schaller made phase ll tuners with 2 screws on the back, and a hex nut on the front. I need one right and one left, but I’d be happy to buy a set if anyone has one. Can you help a brother out? PRS suggested I buy Schaller minis. The problem is that the guitar has the best sound of any I’ve ever played, and I don’t want to alter the sonic recipe in any way. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
No luck there, Bodia. I tried the usual sources first. It seems the early phase ll tuners were made by Schaller. They were switched over to Gotoh at some unspecified time.

As long as the screw pattern and collet diameter match, go for it. When it sounds that good, I wouldn’t worry about aesthetics. But that’s just me.

Anxious to see this beast!

Phase 2 with 2 screws? Not sure what that means.

But. Just a thought. Go to Schaller.info/en (Schallers direct buy website)

I do this to replace Phase 1 tuners to be more like Phase II.

Go to Machine Heads
M6 Serie
Pick the degrees (90, 180 etc...that match your existing tuner hole) EDIT: for the 180 you do have to cut the screw holes with a wire cutter or dremel cutoff wheel to allow the D and G to both use the same screw. Be careful.
Pick a finish. Nickel looks like stock PRS
Pick what you want, (single left or right or 3 +3 set). A single will drop in but wont match the stock tuner exactly.
Pick button size (Large metal matches stock PRS)
Pick your posts (top locking solid headstock is what I use) Similar function-wise to PRS phase II but different in appearance

They will ship it to you

These will drop right in and will cost less than PRS custom shop or any other option. They will say Schaller and not PRS though.

20210703_095622 by jcolmn, on Flickr

20210703_095626 by jcolmn, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not sure if these are right or wrong...

NEW - PRS Phase II Locking Tuning Keys (6) - GOLD/NICKEL HYBRID, #ACC-4382 | eBay
***EDIT*** No Dave! They don't have 2 screws!
Somewhere in the phase ll run, they changed to those, which are made by Gotoh. If they fit, I would have been very happy. The guitar is in my avatar. The gold plating is worn off the bridge saddles, there are a zillion scratches and chips, and even some bare wood on the bottom. The tone is even better than my 2001 Triple Soapy, which is great.

Phase 2 with 2 screws? Not sure what that means.

But. Just a thought. Go to Schaller.info/en (Schallers direct buy website)

I do this to replace Phase 1 tuners to be more like Phase II.

Go to Machine Heads
M6 Serie
Pick the degrees (90, 180 etc...that match your existing tuner hole)
Pick a finish. Nickel looks like stock PRS
Pick what you want, (single left or right or 3 +3 set). A single will drop in but wont match the stock tuner exactly.
Pick button size (Large metal matches stock PRS)
Pick your posts (top locking solid headstock is what I use) Similar function-wise to PRS phase II but different in appearance

They will ship it to you

These will drop right in and will cost less than PRS custom shop or any other option. They will say Schaller and not PRS though.

20210703_095622 by jcolmn, on Flickr

20210703_095626 by jcolmn, on Flickr
Thank you! I ordered them from Schaller.

Back