Need to refret a PRS Custom SE, cannot find specifications

vicus

Hi,
I have a PRS Custom SE 22 from ~2008. I did a bunch of changes on it (it's my "metal" guitar now), Graphtec nut, locking tuners, DiMarzio Illuminator pickups.
Thing is, some frets are ruined now, even though I don't really play that much. So I have to refret it, I'm thinking about puting jumbo SS frets on it. The lutier asked if I can find the neck specifications (I have to send it to another city). And I couldn't. Can anyone point me to the specifications of this particular model?

A experienced luthier would not ask you such an asinine question. You have asked for jumbo SS frets. What more does he need to know?

A experienced luthier would not ask you such an asinine question. You have asked for jumbo SS frets. What more does he need to know?

Well, he needs to order frets and I have no idea what data he needs. Maybe radius? No idea. There are probably 2 luthiers in the country willing to refret using SS frets (and 5 or such willing to use nickel frets), so not many options for me :)

Well, he needs to order frets and I have no idea what data he needs. Maybe radius? No idea. There are probably 2 luthiers in the country willing to refret using SS frets (and 5 or such willing to use nickel frets), so not many options for me :)
Where are you located? There's at least 5 luthiers in my city alone that do SS refrets.

Well, you see, an experienced luthier will have measuring tools immediately at hand to ascertain the radius of the board and then bend the wire accordingly before fitting. Just trying to spare you a bad experience that's all. Sounds like your options are limited :(

Well, you see, an experienced luthier will have measuring tools immediately at hand to ascertain the radius of the board and then bend the wire accordingly before fitting. Just trying to spare you a bad experience that's all. Sounds like your options are limited :(

Exactly.

A luthier should also be able to measure the existing frets. Sometimes what looks like a bad divot isn't really so bad and the guitar could be fine with just a fret dress. Also, if there are just a few bad frets, a partial refret will do the trick.

But if you're set on stainless, that's fine, but make sure you're comfortable with the skills of the installer. I'd want to see some guitars this person has refretted.

Well, unfortunately I live in Romania. Yeah, very limited options in term of reliable luthiers. Of course the guy can easily measure radius and so on, but he's 500 km away from my city, so I gotta send the guitar... Probably he want to order frets as soon as possible, I really don't know much about it, but isn't it easier to buy SS frets already pre-radiused?

Well, unfortunately I live in Romania. Yeah, very limited options in term of reliable luthiers. Of course the guy can easily measure radius and so on, but he's 500 km away from my city, so I gotta send the guitar... Probably he want to order frets as soon as possible, I really don't know much about it, but isn't it easier to buy SS frets already pre-radiused?
Fret wire bends pretty easily, even the jumbo or SS stuff. The whole point is to have the right tool to get a uniform radius - because it it probably really easy to bend it non-uniformly! A good luthier will have that, plus the tool to measure the existing frets/board.

If your luthier needs to order pre-bent fret wire...well...

Fret wire bends pretty easily, even the jumbo or SS stuff. The whole point is to have the right tool to get a uniform radius - because it it probably really easy to bend it non-uniformly! A good luthier will have that, plus the tool to measure the existing frets/board.

If your luthier needs to order pre-bent fret wire...well...

Well, the guy I talked to came highly recommended by top guitarists in the country. But again, getting some things delivered in Romania is a bit like Middle Ages. I'll talk to him and ask more info.
BTW, any advice against jumbo frets? I have medium jumbo on my G&L guitar and ... no idea what frets on my PRS (i assume medium jumbo too).

Back