Need to pick someone’s brain.

I hope that I have one more band left in me. I'm 57 and feel discomfort every day so heavy gear will kill it for me. I have been working with a group that writes original material. I've recorded a bunch of guitar tracks for them and have done a few live shows but turmoil has struck so not sure where that will end up.

We shall see.
I have carried my 100 w Marshall up and down so many stairs, elevators. After losing too much weight I doubt I could even lift the sucker up. That Marshall took me on a roller coaster ride every time. I got so annoyed with it and then sold it.

When I was in my early twenties I carried a Marshall 4x12 and a big box 50 watt JMP head in the back seat of my Nova. I would d run them in and be set up in minutes. Never ever thought of them as heavy. Now is whole another story. Still rocking the same type of setup but it doesn’t leave my music room………..

Is that the 100 watt MOSFET head? I was around 19 and bought a full stack when they first came out. God I remember rattling windows in my buddies house when we practiced. It pushed some serious air with 8 ten inch Celestions. Did a battle of the bands once and I got to open it up in an empty gymnasium and hell it sounded good When it was loud. Was rocking a black Kramer Pacer Imperial with a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge. I don’t care what anyone says, the 80’s kicked some ass.

MrS AR and I have a PA/Monitor system from when we worked together. We also now have a compact Yamaha set up for my daughter to gig with.

Everything was paid for out of our earnings years ago and more recently daughter’s gig money.

Our band gets to use the PA, however the guys we play with are solid and in the words of “The Holy Grail”, we’re an autonomous collective.

I know that any issues with the gear would come out of gig money, no questions asked.

I’ve done my fair share of gear carrying and owned a trailer years ago. At that time everyone did their bit in the band and carried an equal amount of gear.

I dunno if I’m just special or if it’s my location, but I’ve never had to haul any PA gear, it’s just always been at the places we played.

Fahk… I cannot imagine wanting to set up a PA before a gig and then tear down after. That’s a whole other level of commitment some of you guys make. Respect.

Is that the 100 watt MOSFET head? I was around 19 and bought a full stack when they first came out. God I remember rattling windows in my buddies house when we practiced. It pushed some serious air with 8 ten inch Celestions. Did a battle of the bands once and I got to open it up in an empty gymnasium and hell it sounded good When it was loud. Was rocking a black Kramer Pacer Imperial with a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge. I don’t care what anyone says, the 80’s kicked some ass.
Hell yeah! I had a black Kramer Pacer in '85. Horns up to the 80s!

I dunno if I’m just special or if it’s my location, but I’ve never had to haul any PA gear, it’s just always been at the places we played.

Fahk… I cannot imagine wanting to set up a PA before a gig and then tear down after. That’s a whole other level of commitment some of you guys make. Respect.
Same here.

That was the story with my first band.
I hauled in the speakers, the PA amp, the mikes and stands, my guitar and amp, a quarter ton of cables. Set it all up. Then afterward tore it all down and carried it.
Ditto. Thinking back to it, the crappy part for me was the drummer insisted I put my vocal pa speaker on the floor behind him. I could never hear anything I was singing. We didn't last long.

If someone doesn't have a car or the equipment they need to do their part in the band, that is an automatic no. Another one is when someone shows up with a 12 pack to each practice for themself for the night. Oh the things I have seen. It is always those that you have to help the most that screw things up the worst for the band. Cut that person out early and save the frustrations.
I can be flexible on the car, not everyone is in the same situation... Our "Geddy" is car-less but he is a well-equipped and consummate professional who can sing, play bass and keys simultaneously (not to mention a pleasure to deal with), so yeah, we'll gladly go pick him up. Also, he helps with load-in/out and I never saw a singer do that. :)

The weight of the gear is pretty brutal though. I estimated it at about 700 pounds of instruments alone. There's 7-8 guitars, 2 keyboards, a minimum 9-piece drum kit with rack for cymbals and percussion, as well as bass pedals, amp racks and speaker cabs. It take a minivan and an SUV tp lug it all. Having people willing to help is a must.

When I was in my early twenties I carried a Marshall 4x12 and a big box 50 watt JMP head in the back seat of my Nova. I would d run them in and be set up in minutes. Never ever thought of them as heavy. Now is whole another story. Still rocking the same type of setup but it doesn’t leave my music room………..
Hey Marshall Stack Road Dogs...

Try doing shows schlepping a Hammond B-3 and then tell me what heavy gear is all about, ya know?

Count your blessings.

I've done this for years for my brothers group, my daughter, and a couple groups I play with. As "sound man" I get to set up pretty much the whole thing.

Back