Need to make a final decision about which guitar to stick my 53/10s in

Whitecat

Goes home to Starla
So I managed to snag a set of new 53/10s just before they disappeared forever. I've been humming and hawing for quite some time about what guitar to put them into.

I've narrowed it down to either my HBII or a 'Stripped' 58.

The 57/08s that come out of either one will go into my KL1812, I've decided. Although I don't mind the Mira/245 pups in that at all, I think the 57/08s are better and have a little more overall clarity.

I also got some new push-pull pots so whichever guitar it goes into they will be able to be split. Am I correct in thinking that if they go into the HBII, the split will have to be "global" (i.e., either both split, or neither) - whereas in the Stripper, I can split each one individually thanks to the individual control knobs?

Despite that slightly reduced flexibility, I'm leaning towards the HBII at the moment (and that's mainly because the 57/08s + short scale = ohhhh yeah) - may then sell one of the two Strippers I've currently got to make room for something else... but not sure about that yet!

Thoughts?

If it helps at all: I put 53/10s into my Archtop II (big brother to the HB-II) and loved the result enough to babble about it on various PRS related boards, especially compared to the McCarty pickups they replaced.

The 53/10s in the [solidbody] MEQ also sound terrific. But I think the old-school vibe of the 53/10s comes out a bit more in a hollow body.

=K

I have not had an HBII, but had a MEQ with the 53/10"s and a Stripper with 57/08's. To me the Stripper was perfect with the 57/08's. So leave it be. I'm guessing the 53/10's will sound amazing in the HBII. I loved the sound of the MEQ with the split 53/10 in the neck.

Depending on the pot tapers, you can individually split the pups. I use the volume pot to split the neck and the tone pot to split the bridge.

Depending on the pot tapers, you can individually split the pups. I use the volume pot to split the neck and the tone pot to split the bridge.

Cool, I didn't know this was possible...

They are PRS-branded push-pulls...

Cool, I didn't know this was possible...

They are PRS-branded push-pulls...

I'm not sure which tapers PRS uses for volume and tone. Some prefer linear tapers for volume and audio tapers for tone. Some use either for both. It affects how much of the resistance is decreased by the mid-point of the turn.

I just noticed the PRS shop doesn't specify. I wonder if this means they use the same pots for both...

Touch call for me. I'd have to ask the cats here myself. Good luck dude!

Gotta agree with the HB crowd. 53/10's are amazing pickups and my favorite from PRS by far, and I've always imagined that they'd sound great in a HB. My PS piece which is a one f-hole SC/HB sounds sublime with its 53/10's, and I sense that even more chambering (like in your HB) would work exceptionally well with them.

PS….I also snagged among the last sets of them, and have them patiently waiting in a drawer for the right home.

Last edited:
How is the tone of the 53/10's compared to the 57/08's? The 53/10's sound like they have a bit more high end from what I've found online, but I've never tried a set to see for myself.

How is the tone of the 53/10's compared to the 57/08's? The 53/10's sound like they have a bit more high end from what I've found online, but I've never tried a set to see for myself.
I wouldn't say they have more high end, but do lean a hair more toward the more scooped sound of a PAF type. Great harmonic content in the middle position with a very sweet, round sound all around, not as hot as the 57/08/9's.

Pre 2013 P22s had 53/10s, in part I presume because they pair well with the piezo. I have them in my P22 and love it. My vote goes to the HBII.

The 53/10s are hot pups and I have them in my HBII. The bridge is perfection. Great pick definition, chime, and the right amount of harmonic richness, and spanky tele-like when split. I recently played my first DGT and thought the bridge pickup was very similar. The 53/10 neck can be beefy in the HBII. I would suggest the ME4 wiring schematic as it appears to use a treble bleed and resistors for splitting (or try 50s wiring). I've got mine wired to pre2007 HBII (non piezo) specs and it can be muddy, and I lose highs when I roll back the volume. I had 57/08's early on and I recall the neck position being much warmer after the 53/10s went in. I'd love a pickup that splits the difference, like an underwound 53/10. I've read that the 59/09 neck is supposed to be brighter than a 57/08, would like to try that.

Anyone know if the ME4 used a treble bleed because it had 53/10's?

Back