Need some info on a Used Custom 24

mranonymous

Hello:

Back in 2011, I purchased a brand new PRS Custom 24 10 Top (emerald green). I made some very bad choices in life and had to sell the guitar a couple years later. I believe I bought it for $3600 and sold it for $1500. One of the worst choices I made.

Recently, I started getting back into guitar. I found a new Music Man Majesty on sale for $1000 off, and picked it up. It is an amazing guitar - easily the second best I've played. But it isn't the PRS. There was just something about the feel of the PRS that was very special.

So my question is about the practical value of a used 2011-2013 Custom 24. If I do decide to get another one, what would a reasonable price range be for something in good shape? It doesn't have to be perfect. A

I am just curious because the range seems very wide from what I see. I see some as low as $1700 but others as high as $3000. I don't want to spend more than $2300 or so and I certainly don't want to get ripped off.

Lastly, I would just like to know if there are any huge differences between a 2011-2013 PRS and a new one.

Thank you for any info!

Hello:

Back in 2011, I purchased a brand new PRS Custom 24 10 Top (emerald green). I made some very bad choices in life and had to sell the guitar a couple years later. I believe I bought it for $3600 and sold it for $1500. One of the worst choices I made.

Recently, I started getting back into guitar. I found a new Music Man Majesty on sale for $1000 off, and picked it up. It is an amazing guitar - easily the second best I've played. But it isn't the PRS. There was just something about the feel of the PRS that was very special.

So my question is about the practical value of a used 2011-2013 Custom 24. If I do decide to get another one, what would a reasonable price range be for something in good shape? It doesn't have to be perfect. A

I am just curious because the range seems very wide from what I see. I see some as low as $1700 but others as high as $3000. I don't want to spend more than $2300 or so and I certainly don't want to get ripped off.

Lastly, I would just like to know if there are any huge differences between a 2011-2013 PRS and a new one.

Thank you for any info!

First off, welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you're looking to get back in the PRS world. I, too, have a Majesty. Great guitar, but you're right, there is something about the feel of a PRS.

I would think you'd have good luck finding what you described in your post, and in your price range. There should be some good examples between $1,700 and $2,500. It's going to depend on condition, and how desperate the seller is to move their gear. Between 2011-2013, the only difference you might find is pickups. Everything else would be the same.

First off, welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you're looking to get back in the PRS world. I, too, have a Majesty. Great guitar, but you're right, there is something about the feel of a PRS.

I would think you'd have good luck finding what you described in your post, and in your price range. There should be some good examples between $1,700 and $2,500. It's going to depend on condition, and how desperate the seller is to move their gear. Between 2011-2013, the only difference you might find is pickups. Everything else would be the same.

Hey, thanks for the quick response and warm welcome!

That is great to hear that the guitar would mainly be the same as the most current models. Since I'm in no rush to buy, I could definitely keep an eye out for something in that range. From my understanding, the 10 Top is purely cosmetic so I am definitely open to just a standard Custom 24 as well.

I will keep this thread updated if I do decide to get the PRS

Hey, thanks for the quick response and warm welcome!

That is great to hear that the guitar would mainly be the same as the most current models. Since I'm in no rush to buy, I could definitely keep an eye out for something in that range. From my understanding, the 10 Top is purely cosmetic so I am definitely open to just a standard Custom 24 as well.

I will keep this thread updated if I do decide to get the PRS

Yep, 10 Top and Artist Top are purely cosmetic. No tonal enhancement.

The new ones do have the Gen III trem and 85/15 pickups. Not that it’s a huge deal, just something to be aware of. I don’t remember if the 2011-13s have the Phase III tuning machines.

PRS-2011-Cu24_57-08s_2760.jpg

In 2011, this was the most expensive and best looking PRS guitar they had in stock at my local GC. It was tagged at $2700.00 when I bought it. I WISH brand new PRS guitars were that "cheap" these days.

I have since replaced the original 59/09 pickups with 57/08 pickups. I'm a big fan of the 2015 & newer Custom 24's, especially my newest fascination, the Custom 24-08 models.

The new ones do have the Gen III trem and 85/15 pickups. Not that it’s a huge deal, just something to be aware of. I don’t remember if the 2011-13s have the Phase III tuning machines.
phase III locking tuners by 2011 i think. for sure they were there in 2012

Back