Need Some Advice on my First PRS - How Important are "10" Tops?

Should I get the 10-Top Option?

• Yes, it's absolutely worth it.

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No, I doubt you will be dissapointed in a standard top.

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters

Hedonismbot

I apologize for nothing!
Wandering through the desert on a horse with no na
Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum and I wanted to ask a little advice. On Monday, I went down to my PRS dealer and started the process to fulfilling an 18 year old dream. To own a beautiful PRS. Now, I placed an order for a Custom 22 with nickel hardware, pattern-regular neck, tremolo, and a flame-top in Jade. I was tempted by the special-order finish, but a quick call revealed that they do not have the Sapphire Smokeburst anymore, and as beautiful as Eroza Verde is, it's very similar to a dragon-burst guitar I have. When I was placing my order, their were a few PRS owners there who had opposing opinions. Some said, "Why wouldn't you get a 10-top," while others expressed that, "the standard tops are pretty amazing, and you will probably be perfectly happy." I opted to go with a regular flame top at the time, but the dealer insisted we have time if I should change my mind.

Clearly there are many experienced PRS owners here. What do you think? I have a few mid-priced instruments with gorgeous veneers, and a Gibson LP that has a rather nice (if imperfect) flame top. I also have a custom-built guitar from a local luthier who had me pick out the top from northridgehardwoods.com, and I chose a beauty! But PRS is new territory for me. I have every confidence that the quality and sound will be as incredible as ever and that the looks will be fantastic. But should I get the 10-top option? Is it worth the extra $$$?

10-top is just a better looking top than standard. There is no diference in the build quality of the instrument.
Some people want to have a 10-top, some don't care about the looks and want a guitar that just plays and sounds good.
It is just a matter of personal preference I guess...

You pay an extra ~£500 for a 10 top in the UK. It's a lot of money and I would only do it again if it were second-hand (better value).
Most look like 10 tops anyway so personally, I wouldn't bother unless you're rich!

With the cost of these guitars , being what it is , buying a 10 top now will remove " wish I had bought it later". Of course, this only makes sense if you can afford it...

If you can afford it and are the sort of person who doesn't get along with 'dead spots' in the figure then by all means go for it.

Be advised that the £500 (or whatever currency you're in) upcharge will depreciate as well - the guitar won't be worth an additional £500 should you ever come to sell it. A bit more than a non-10, perhaps, but not that much.

There are some outstanding non-10 tops out there, but when you go for a Core line custom order you have no way of knowing what you're going to get (this goes for any guitar all the way up to Artist grade!) so it's a bit of a crap shoot.

Get a used 10 top and be patient. I have a 10 top and a non 10 top, I love both equally. Find the guitar you like and but it. Many of the tops on these guitars are far better than they get rated.

I think the questions may be posed a bit off base. Just because it's a 10-top, doesn't mean it automatically looks awesome. The 10 is just the percentage of dead spots in the grain. I've seen many non-10's that look better than the 10-top sitting right next to it - at least to my taste. Personally, I've owned and unfortunately had to sell a gorgeous P22. When I bought it I had the choice between 2, one had 10-top with mahogany neck, the other a non-10 with IRW neck. I chose the latter and personally thought it looked better than the 10-top. It was a bit darker in color and that made the dark IRW neck blend in really nice.

So, I'm not sure the questions really hit the target. It's entirely possible to be disappointed in a 10-top, just as much as the non-10 being absolutely worth it.

if you can afford it, get the 10 top. that way you get the best you could without going AP.

Only you can really decide how important it is. I'm of the opinion that it's a purely cosmetic up-charge so it's not where I want to spend my money, but a lot of people really dig the look so it's worth the money to them.

Here's a pretty incredible looking non-10 CU22 in Jade at Wilcutt: http://willcuttguitars.com/paul-reed-smith/custom-22/prs-custom-22-jade-423

Poke around online and look at pics. Wilcutt, Sweetwater and Music Store Live always have great ones. You can then get a feel for what to expect, and make your decision from there. The big caveat is: if you're picky, you're better off buying one you can see first. You won't know what the top will end up looking like if you order ahead.

Personally id save the money and get a set of the more expensive PUPs... but that's just me. When you're playing in front of a crowd, they're going to see a flame top, regardless of whether is STD, 10, or AP, that's what they're gonna see. Some might look better than others, but I almost think the stain plays a big role in that as well. I've seen some 10-top's posted on here with a pretty bland stain that made the top look boring, and I've seen some standard tops with a killer stain that made people wonder why it wasn't given an artist grade rating.

Both of my "made in Maryland" PRSi are non 10 tops and I love them. No regrets.

Only you can really decide how important it is. I'm of the opinion that it's a purely cosmetic up-charge so it's not where I want to spend my money, but a lot of people really dig the look so it's worth the money to them.

Here's a pretty incredible looking non-10 CU22 in Jade at Wilcutt: http://willcuttguitars.com/paul-reed-smith/custom-22/prs-custom-22-jade-423

Poke around online and look at pics. Wilcutt, Sweetwater and Music Store Live always have great ones. You can then get a feel for what to expect, and make your decision from there. The big caveat is: if you're picky, you're better off buying one you can see first. You won't know what the top will end up looking like if you order ahead.

That one is really, really nice!!!

Not important to me. But it really is your opinion that counts here. I usually tend to go with my first instinct...

Flip a coin, heads is 10-top, tails is standard. Your emotion to the result of that coin flip will tell you what you want. Feel a little sadness for either result, get the other. If you feel indifferent, go with it :)

If you're ordering a guitar, you won't see it until you get it.

It's not always the case, but in general, 10-tops are perceived to be finer looking than non-10-tops. I have some that could be argued either way.

if you don't care about looks then just roll the die. But after reading your quandry, i'm guessing that you'd be happier with a 10-top. Hope this helps.

Wow, some great replies. You guys have been very helpful. I've yet to see an hgly PRS, and some "imperfections" can look awesome. I'm gonna pass on the 10 top. Someone suggested using that money on pickups if I'm not happy with the originals. I think that's a good idea. I've played the 57/08s but not at length to put them through their paces. If not happy, $400 ($100 less than a 10-Top) will get me a set of 50/09s. And being a Duncan fan, $320 gets a custom set from their Custom Shop, and $200 to $225 will get me a set of nickel covers production line pickups :D

I say go for the 10 top, as long as you subscribe to what my idea of a 10 Top is.

01PRS-SC%20GOLDTOP-2.jpg

P1010790.jpg

custom24_black.jpg

It's up to you, just know that it's appearance and should not affect the sound or playability (I say "should" as we're still talking about wood). Personally I prefer guitars that are a little more understated and would not pick a 10 top. But I'm an odd one and would like to see more PRSs with moons rather than birds, too.

Back