Need More Validation?

It's funny how creative fields are similar. The shop I worked at in the early 2000s (just before I opened my own), was owned by a person who didn't actually tattoo. He was a business man who's main concern was the bottom line. He had friends from Vietnam that tattooed when they were stateside that taught him about the business while he was overseas. In his mind, the style that he wanted coming out of his shop was American Traditional. Old School. Sailor Jerry kind of stuff....with thick, solid outlines, pepper shading, lots of negative space and primary colors. (Which is exactly how I do NOT tattoo). He was wound up tight on the fact that fine line work didn't hold up over time and everything that comes out if his shop he wanted to last forever. To the point where he didn't want any of his artists using anything smaller than a tight 5 as a liner. Well, that wasn't going to fly with me because I was primarily a fine line artist.....so....I did a few pieces "illegally" out of my house after hours.....a couple of them ended up published in some tattoo magazines within a couple of weeks of each other with HIS SHOP NAME as to where I worked. A couple of days later, he approached me and said that he needed someone to handle some of that "new fangled" fine line crap.

Nothing more, nothing less.....but that was my permission to tattoo a piece however I saw fit. But, I bet if his shop name wasn't published world wide, I would have been just like everyone else....subject to his bias on what a "real" tattoo was.
I have a good friend who is a tattoo artist, working at someone else’s shop. When ever we get together, he spends a good 10 min banging his head against the wall (metaphorically), going on about some of the nonsense he deals with. He seems to totally love AND absolutely hate what he’s doing

I have a good friend who is a tattoo artist, working at someone else’s shop. When ever we get together, he spends a good 10 min banging his head against the wall (metaphorically), going on about some of the nonsense he deals with. He seems to totally love AND absolutely hate what he’s doing
I still deal with it having my own shop. Clients think they know as much about what I do as I do. A couple of episodes of Miami Ink and Ink Master and all of a sudden they are telling me how much or how little black to put in a piece. Weather or not a certain part need an outline. How I shouldn't use any white as it won't stay anyway....etc...etc..etc......

But I am kind of an a$$ hole. So I will tell them LOOK.....this is how I work. I will give you the best results I can, but I have to be able to apply it they way I do it. Not how someone else does it.

The bit I have difficulty with is the brand rather than the 'sound' mattering. If I was asked to bring a Strat for example, I cannot see why it would need to be a Fender and not a Silver Sky or a Suhr either for that matter. If you turn up with a HSS Fender Strat, us that going to be better than a PRS or Suhr when they are looking for a SC bridge tone? You also have so many different options for 'Pick ups' that may not be 'stock' or may not give that classic 63/64 strat type tone the producer had in their head when they asked for a Strat.

In my mind, I could see a producer outlining the 'type' of sound they want, a classic Strat sound, something 'Hendrix' or 'Little Wing' type sound and being far more specific over that, and much more insistent on you being able to provide that than worrying about the tool you use to get that sound. If you turn up with a Silver Sky and can meet the sound they want, wouldn't that be better?

As I have said, I am not in that world and I find it odd that a Producer would be far more particular over the 'brand - which can have such diversity in PU's and tonal variations. The ability of the artist, with the tools of their trade, to deliver the part should be the most important. Its like not hiring a Carpenter because they are not using a Makita drill despite the fact that their drill still does the same job just as well. I of course can understand if someone asks for a strat type tone, turning up with a Les Paul isn't going to end well but turning up with a Suhr or a PRS instead of a Fender shouldn't be an issue in my mind.

To reiterate, I am NOT in that world and don't have to put up with Producers and Artists who hold all the power in that situation, even if you as a musician can deliver the exact tone they are wanting with a different brand. Therefore I do not have any experience of the reality that session players may have to deal with - knowing that a Silver Sky can match a 63/64 Strat tonally but still having to take a Fender regardless. I don't think I would cope in that world and would much prefer to be the 'artist' - whether Solo or as part of the Band - as no 'Producer' can tell you what instrument you have to use to get your sound that you hear and want for the track. I can understand that being a Session player, you are there to make there sound but I still think they have to respect you as the 'professional' to deliver the sound they want, your experience and knowledge of the tools of your trade - although based on this thread, it seems that not all are like that...

When I express skepticism about all of this stuff (not skepticism about the veracity of what’s being told. Skepticism about the approach that’s being taken), it’s not from the perspective of a me as a guitarist (it would be generous to call me that). It’s from the perspective of a composer.

I compose all of the music I work on, for films, ads, tv documentaries, permanent installations, and what-have-you. I write in a lot of genres, as one must in the business I’m in.

So I approach it as a composer.

Nonetheless, music for these genres is handled differently from classical/orchestral music. That’s just the way it is, skepticism or not, and really, it works out just fine.

Some of my ad session players on national ad campaigns that were broadcast a lot made five figure residuals for these sessions from their AFM royalty payments alone. And some campaigns ran for several years, so each year I used the same players again when creating new versions.

They were pretty happy, and I’m sure if I’d asked them to bring a particular instrument to the session, they’d have done it without complaining.

However, I’ll reiterate that I never specify an instrument unless the one they bring sounds bad, which almost never happens. I want the player’s creative input on the track.

Man, everyone should take two olives (in the bottom of a big martini) and call me in the morning :)

I will!

Hey, I didn’t start this thread to get into this type of discussion. I did it to share the PRS love. I was kidding about ‘validation’.

The thread got derailed, and as long as it did, I figured I’d chime in about what really happens. So honestly, there isn’t anything to be upset about.

The bit I have difficulty with is the brand rather than the 'sound' mattering. If I was asked to bring a Strat for example, I cannot see why it would need to be a Fender and not a Silver Sky or a Suhr either for that matter.

I am sure that most producers would be just fine with a Silver Sky or a Suhr. I don’t know anyone personally who gets picky about a brand, they just want a sound.

I’m sure there are some who can be difficult. What can I tell you? There are difficult people in every business.

However, if you’re on a session where there’s triple scale and you’re getting paid $250-$300 per hour plus cartage, you’re a fool if you make a stink about stuff like this. Not to mention that all-media 52 week session renewal fees for broadcast stuff are $2200 and more in the case of overdubs, being designated the session leader, etc., (and that’s if the ad doesn’t have multiple versions, which many national ad campaigns do) plus a pension contribution of 12 1/2%.

I can only speak to media sessions, but this is one of those rare cases where the musician is NOT underpaid.

Last edited:
I will!

Hey, I didn’t start this thread to get into this type of discussion. I did it to share the PRS love. I was kidding about ‘validation’.

The thread got derailed, and as long as it did, I figured I’d chime in about what really happens. So honestly, there isn’t anything to be upset about.

I know. I needed a shallow,reason for a cocktail besides "it's Thursday."

I need three Olives.

120c6d593de6d572026cf7475db098db.jpg

Back