Need insights into PRS Pickups (#8's, #10's)

vance

I am thinking about changing the pickups out of my Custom 24, and looking at some PRS pickups that I am not familiar with. Can anybody tell me anything about the #8's and the #10's?

Cheers

Can anybody describe the differences between #8's, #7's, #10's, and 57/08's to a guy who hasn't heard the #7's or #10's. I have 57/08's as a point of reference.

of course it's all subjective, but I can wade through...no disclaimers needed.

cheers

I've never played 8s or 10s, but I have some experience with 7s and 57/08s. The 57/08s are a very articulate set of vintage-flavored pickups. By comparison, I find the 7s to be a bit more modern sounding...a little darker, more compressed, but still a definite family resemblance. The #7s aren't my favorite pickups, but I like them a lot. As a matter of fact, I think they're PRS' most under-appreciated set of pickups.

I've never played 8s or 10s, but I have some experience with 7s and 57/08s. The 57/08s are a very articulate set of vintage-flavored pickups. By comparison, I find the 7s to be a bit more modern sounding...a little darker, more compressed, but still a definite family resemblance. The #7s aren't my favorite pickups, but I like them a lot. As a matter of fact, I think they're PRS' most under-appreciated set of pickups.

Thanks. Do you like the 57/08's better? What are your favorite PRS pickups? ...maybe I am barking up the wrong tree with the #7's, #8's and 10's and should be looking another direction. Any thoughts?

What type of music do you play and what tones are you looking for?

I play drop tuned Hard Rock with a band, but mix in some blues, and like bluesy tones when I am playing in the bedroom. I need something that can be articulate when fast riffing in dropped D tuning for the band, but can still pull off the bluesy vintage LP tones. I don't need all of my output to come from the pickups...I can get a lot of that from my gear. And my amp has waaayy too much headroom to push at a comfortable volume. A quick list of gear may help:

Diezel Herbert MKII (180 watt)
Mesa Roadster (100 watt Dual Rectifier)
Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Analogman King of Tone (I use this for the OD)

Thanks for the help and insights

I'd go 59/09s, they are the hottest of the 5x/xx pickups (which IMO are the cream of PRS pickups), possibly not the most vintage but they are articulate, musical and warm.

crgtr did a demo of a whole lot of PRS pickups, go to 7:50 for 57/08s (unetched, slightly different to the ones you probably have) and the 59/09s are straight after them

and 1:06 for 59/09s and 5:08 for 57/08s

FWIW I think the 59/09s sound a lot like the 408s, I did a quick lick here (with a fair amount of gain), it goes 408 then 59/09 (then others)

https://soundcloud.com/justmund/bridge-heavy-blues-lick

Last edited by a moderator:
57/08s are my favorite PRS pickups, followed very closely by the 59/09 bridge and 53/10 neck. My favorite type of music to play is early Van Halen, Mayall-era Clapton, and Zeppelin. I'm also a huge fan of the original Dragon pickups (not Dragon 2s!). If you're playing heavy songs in dropped tunings, Dragons would be killer. I think the new PRS \m/ pickups would be perfect, although I've never tried any. They sound badass in the clips I've heard though.

Thanks. Do you like the 57/08's better? What are your favorite PRS pickups? ...maybe I am barking up the wrong tree with the #7's, #8's and 10's and should be looking another direction. Any thoughts?

I'd go 59/09s, they are the hottest of the 5x/xx pickups (which IMO are the cream of PRS pickups), possibly not the most vintage but they are articulate, musical and warm.

crgtr did a demo of a whole lot of PRS pickups, go to 7:50 for 57/08s (unetched, slightly different to the ones you probably have) and the 59/09s are straight after them

and 1:06 for 59/09s and 5:08 for 57/08s

FWIW I think the 59/09s sound a lot like the 408s, I did a quick lick here (with a fair amount of gain), it goes 408 then 59/09 (then others)

https://soundcloud.com/justmund/bridge-heavy-blues-lick

59/09's!! Thanks for the comparison. They are similar, but I like the second better.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, this guy is fantastic, and these videos are awesome. I set it to play on my iPad while I was driving just to enjoy the licks and tones like a radio.

thanks for the insights and please keep me coming if you have more!

Back