Need help with tone. So much low end.

...In the case of putting a speaker cab on a wooden shelf, the shelf and the blocks holding it will vibrate sympathetically and increase frequencies at their resonant points.

The best solution for accuracy isn’t a shelving unit, unless the speaker is completely decoupled from the shelf with isolation materials. The most accurate sound is a dedicated stand with the cab decoupled from the stand. In other words, the closer to the ideal of the speaker hanging by that string in space, the greater the fidelity to the original signal.

Note, however, that a cab that needs more bottom end might sound best if the bass is reinforced by one or more boundaries. This is why some amp and cab manufacturers recommend floor placement for more bass wallop.

A complicating factor is sympathetic vibration. Floor vibration causes structural vibration that transmits noise elsewhere in a building. This can be solved by decoupling a speaker cab from the floor, and is why the Auralex GRAMMA platforms work, but they prevent structural vibrations like light fixtures rattling, or reducing those boom-boom bass noises transmitted to the downstairs neighbors, and don’t address the question of boundary surface reflections very much since the cab is still close to the floor.

Les,

I own some Auralex computer monitor risers that were supplied with additional wedges for adjusting the angle of the monitors. Would using these extra Auralex wedges be suitable for isolating my 1x12 combo amp that resides on my concrete block/wooden bookshelf?

(EDIT: Just installed the Auralex wedges. They isolate the combo from the shelf, but are not as stable (they allow movement front to back instead of providing a solid base surface.) My concern might be the amp tipping forward and falling to the floor...or will the amp stay put with the wedges...?)

(2nd EDIT: Just used 2 of the wedges side to side instead of 4 double-stacked with one another. This reduced the amount of wobble front to back and added an extra layer of wedge towards the middle of the combo (2 wedges each placed on either end of the combo))

I've no overhead lights nor basement (one floor apartment unit). The concrete bookshelf is very stable (about 7 feet tall with 4 intermittent wooden shelves) so I don't think instability or combo height would contribute to reflections that much. (Combo sits on the shelf about 18" from the floor)

...So at this point I'm not sure if my expectations are just wrong and i want this S2 to sound like something its not or I still dont know what im doing with dialing in a tone i like.

Im going to take the guitar to the store I bought it at and see what they think. Have them readjust the pups and do a new set up. Proly try a few amps. If that doesnt work out i could make the drive to The Guitar Store in Seattle, they deal with a lot of PRS and see what they think.

But right now im not happy with it. Not sure if i should change the pups or sell it and move on.

Best wishes, but I wouldn't stress too much about this. The location of your amp may be the issue, or just that your ears don't particularly like modeling amps like the Katana. If that's the case, have the store set up your guitar so that it sounds good through one of their amps, and then consider purchasing what sounds good (the amp, not another guitar)

Last edited:
If it sounds too bassy through headphones, then it's not the acoustics of the room for sure.

It should not be this difficult to match the level of low frequencies in a 335. I'm wondering if you've got a wiring problem where the neck pickup is just shorted in and never gets switched off. If you tap the pickups with your pick while plugged in, do the correct pickups make noise vs. the pickup switch position?

I will check this when i get home from work.

Les,

I own some Auralex computer monitor risers that were supplied with additional wedges for adjusting the angle of the monitors. Would using these extra Auralex wedges be suitable for isolating my 1x12 combo amp that resides on my concrete block/wooden bookshelf?

No, they’re not designed for that much weight, and your cab will wobble, as you noticed.

There are products that are made to handle the weight of a tube amp, like the IsoAcoustics speaker feet, or the pucks.

I will check this when i get home from work.

As a side note, I'd recently purchased a S2 SC that had 3-way toggle selector switch issues. The store that sold this on Reverb.com caught the error before it was shipped out, and are replacing the toggle at their expense. The retail store also said they'd perform an inspection again to be sure no other issues crop up prior to shipment. Although the store did not disclose the nature of the faulty switch, they did say that it was faulty and would have been a repair issue on my side had they not inspected the guitar. It would also have led to some bad feelings regards the sale, and likely some negative feedback for their Reverb store.

Although we may not have correctly diagnosed the OPs issue, we have provided him with some options to consider that may help him solve his problem.

@Riley, have you tried each of these suggestions (cable swap, pickup height adjustment, relocation/isolation of your amp) not including inspecting your guitar for circuitry issues? If yes, and none of the previous solutions have solved your problem, we've at least discarded these potential solutions as the answer to your problem. If none of the solutions have worked yet, the remaining solutions (guitar circuitry, amp replacement) seem the only viable solutions.

No, they’re not designed for that much weight, and your cab will wobble, as you noticed.

There are products that are made to handle the weight of a tube amp, like the IsoAcoustics speaker feet, or the pucks.

Heh! I once constructed iso risers with plywood and 2x4, set atop carved out hockey pucks in the corners. I'll look into IsoAcoustics speaker feet, or perhaps consider some similar alternatives...

Holy mackerel. NOT cheap! Determined I'd need 4 iso-pucks ($120!) as the least expensive option. They'll do the job, but holy crow. That's a lot of cash for something so small and low-tech...

Also your headphones could be muddy/bassy. Many headphones like Bose and Beats tend to add inaccurate bass!

I’m curious if the tone pots are working. My S2 Singlecut required very small adjustments to get the bass to where I want it.

That's a lot of cash for something so small and low-tech...

Actually, they’re pretty high tech little devices.

When IsoAcoustics started shipping product I got an early set of their studio monitor risers, and had a question, so I called the company. The owner and designer answered the phone, and we had quite a long conversation about the technology behind these. Needless to say, it was pretty interesting.

He was the head studio designer for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation before he started the company, and it turns out, the guy knows quite a lot about acoustics; this is no fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants product.

I wish I could remember all the little science details I was told about, but clearly he put a lot of time and effort into studying this stuff, including how to compensate for the movement of the woofer that tends to vibrate the cabinet. But by the time he got to that, my brain was overloaded, so I can’t explain what he was talking about.

I started with his first product, the risers, but the pucks are actually more effective (at least in my monitoring setup, where I use four under each speaker), and work better for me.

I have a large riser for recording speaker cabs, raising, and isolating them from the floor. IMHO more effective than the Auralex GRAMMA platforms, though sometimes I use both the platforms and the riser, mainly for additional elevation.

I use these. They're great.

Thanks! THAT'S more my speed. And I actually found one for lower cost ($71.74) and in stock on amazon. Thanks again, much appreciated.

...I started with his first product, the risers, but the pucks are actually more effective (at least in my monitoring setup, where I use four under each speaker), and work better for me.

I have a large riser for recording speaker cabs, raising, and isolating them from the floor. IMHO more effective than the Auralex GRAMMA platforms, though sometimes I use both the platforms and the riser, mainly for additional elevation.

The regular sized pucks might be what I'd be looking for, but these are $59/pair currently. Why do you say these are more effective than the GRAMMA platform? For isolation, ease of use, or something else? I'd prefer to save some cash and try the GRAMMA just because it looks easier to install underneath the amp...

Last edited:
The regular sized pucks might be what I'd be looking for, but these are $59/pair currently. Why do you say these are more effective than the GRAMMA platform? For isolation, ease of use, or something else? I'd prefer to save some cash and try the GRAMMA just because it looks easier to install underneath the amp...

I found the isoacoustics riser more effective by actually using it in recording sessions for the last 4-5 years. I have no idea why that is. I was getting less structural noise, such as rattling light bulbs, heat registers, etc. The bass seemed a tiny bit more controlled, too.

So try the Gramma, it’s certainly better than nothing.

Note that it’s probably a lot deeper than your shelf, and would have to stick out on both sides in a weird way, and might be tippy, so use it on the floor.

Note that it’s probably a lot deeper than your shelf, and would have to stick out on both sides in a weird way, and might be tippy, so use it on the floor.

The GRAMMA is 15" x 23" x 7/4", which works well regards my application. Plenty of room either side of the amp shelf-wise.

I'd usually agree to try the IsoAcoustics, but I've no close-proximity light fixtures or items that could vibrate significantly (the bottles in the mini-cooler fridge which sits off the floor on an end table?) Even so, I don't play/record at appreciable volume that might cause a problem. Just trying to keep track of the logistics.

Last edited:
The GRAMMA is 15" x 23" x 7/4", which works well regards my application. Plenty of room either side of the amp shelf-wise.

I'd usually agree to try the IsoAcoustics, but I've no close-proximity light fixtures or items that could vibrate significantly (the bottles in the mini-cooler fridge which sits off the floor on an end table?) Even so, I don't play/record at appreciable volume that might cause a problem. Just trying to keep track of the logistics.

I didn’t know they made one that size.

I’m not pushin’ the IsoAcoustics. I’ve got no dog in this hunt, so to speak.

The Katana range headphone out is simply awful, the weak link in that product line

Eliminate that by just listening to the speaker. Do a factory reset on the katana, something may be screwed up, update the firmware

https://www.boss.info/uk/support/by_product/katana-50/updates_drivers/

Your guitar shouldn't be causing this, so best guess is the amp settings, but avoid headphones. You should be able to get decent low volume sounds out of the 50, even so low that you can here your guitar acoustically loud

Riley, I would also recommend something more suited to headphones for you. The market is ever evolving and there are lots of similar products out there but I have the line 6 HX stomp and it is amazing through headphones and you can get full stereo effects. You can also run it into the front end of your katana if you want room volume, assuming the amp gets sorted.

Hey all!

Couple things i tried yesterday.
The tone pots seem to be working. They are kind of all or none, not a smooth transition.
I got to plug into a VOX AC30 for a few min. It sounded better but still a lot of bass. Sounded way better but still.

Im starting to think its 60% the katana amp i have and 40% the guitar.

Im still going to take it to the store i bought it at and have them do a set up and test it on some of their amps. And try on another katana to see if its just my amp. However, i wont be able to take it in for a few days.

If it turns out to be my katana im not sure what to do. Dont really want to get rid of guitar but if i dont like the sound i wont play it. I could get a new amp. My friends tell me i need a tube amp but i need something quiet / something i can use headphones with. I guess thats a whole another topic.

Wish me luck,
Do ya all want updates after the guitar shop?
Thanks for all the help.

Hey all!

Couple things i tried yesterday.
The tone pots seem to be working. They are kind of all or none, not a smooth transition.
I got to plug into a VOX AC30 for a few min. It sounded better but still a lot of bass. Sounded way better but still.

Im starting to think its 60% the katana amp i have and 40% the guitar.

Im still going to take it to the store i bought it at and have them do a set up and test it on some of their amps. And try on another katana to see if its just my amp. However, i wont be able to take it in for a few days.

If it turns out to be my katana im not sure what to do. Dont really want to get rid of guitar but if i dont like the sound i wont play it. I could get a new amp. My friends tell me i need a tube amp but i need something quiet / something i can use headphones with. I guess thats a whole another topic.

Wish me luck,
Thanks for all the help.

We’re all wishing you a happy ending!

I didn’t know they made one that size.

I’m not pushin’ the IsoAcoustics. I’ve got no dog in this hunt, so to speak.

Yup. The standard GRAMMA is 15 x 23 x 7/4. The Great GRAMMA, of course, is larger dimensions. They also make a smaller, rectangular GRAMMA, though that is typically used for computer monitors. Great GRAMMA is for larger amps and cabs, though I've forgotten what size it covers.

Wish me luck,
Thanks for all the help.

Please, We'd all like to hear things turn out for you, especially if things work out better once you've had a chance to test drive gear...

Back