Need help with Schaller M6 Locking Tuners [solved]

Billabong02

Hi everyone,

I order the Schaller M6 locking tuners for my PRS Tremonti Custom SE but I have absolutely no idea how they work because I've never used locking tuners before.
Capture.png

Capture.jpg

Not to sound stupid but I can't figure out how to thread the string through the peg. Despite loosening the lock behind the tuner the thing inside the peg won't go down which is why I can't thread the string through it.
IMG_20160114_171605.jpg

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't I can try and make a youtube video to try and show you guys.

- Billy

Last edited:
Yes it makes sense, and it's certainly not a stupid question. What you're seeing there is a ball bearing that is forced up through the post as you tighten the thumb wheel, and it should retract as you loosen the wheel. Sometimes when the tuners are new, the ball bearing fails to drop back as you loosen the thumb wheel. I'd say to loosen the thumb wheel and force a low E string through the top end of the hole in the post. The ball bearing should fall into the post and be ready to go from there.

I hope this helps!
Izzy

Yes it makes sense, and it's certainly not a stupid question. What you're seeing there is a ball bearing that is forced up through the post as you tighten the thumb wheel, and it should retract as you loosen the wheel. Sometimes when the tuners are new, the ball bearing fails to drop back as you loosen the thumb wheel. I'd say to loosen the thumb wheel and force a low E string through the top end of the hole in the post. The ball bearing should fall into the post and be ready to go from there.

I hope this helps!
Izzy
Thanks dude, you're absolutely right. The strings just needed to be forced in slightly. Can't believe I almost sent these back lol.

Excellent! Glad it worked out. As you might have guessed, I dealt with the same issue.
Best,
Izzy

Back