Need help with Phase I tuners

Ilan Berman

Looking from some guidance from the PRS staff or more experienced members here. Here's the deal:

I've got a 2000 PRS CE22. Love it, but not a fan of the Phase I winged tuners, and would like to replace them with others. However, I don't want to drill additional holes or anything. Which other tuners (phase II, phase III or even SE) are direct replacements... and can be simply dropped in, without any other tweaks?

Thanks in advance for the assist.

I don't remember which are a direct swap but if you search it's been mentioned on here plenty of times before, just the other day too. Also, there's a swap thread that someone may be willing to take those off your hands and maybe even trade.

Thanks, guys, for the input. Good to know that Phase II tuners work. And, for the record, I did watch that video beforehand... let's just say, it was a bit more work than the video suggested. Anyhow, I appreciate the knowledge.

Quick follow up, if you guys have time. Are Phase II the only type that work? I know Phase III don't... but do the SE tuners do the trick also?

Looking from some guidance from the PRS staff or more experienced members here. Here's the deal:

I've got a 2000 PRS CE22. Love it, but not a fan of the Phase I winged tuners, and would like to replace them with others. However, I don't want to drill additional holes or anything. Which other tuners (phase II, phase III or even SE) are direct replacements... and can be simply dropped in, without any other tweaks?

Thanks in advance for the assist.
Not sure what other tuners besides the phase 2 will work but I'm interested in those winged tuners. Those are my favorite of any brand/model.

PM sent.

Thanks, guys, for the input. Good to know that Phase II tuners work. And, for the record, I did watch that video beforehand... let's just say, it was a bit more work than the video suggested. Anyhow, I appreciate the knowledge.

Quick follow up, if you guys have time. Are Phase II the only type that work? I know Phase III don't... but do the SE tuners do the trick also?

To have them drop in, they need to be 10mm with the screw tab in the same orientation (parallel with the strings). SE tuners won't match screw holes.

If it were me, I'd go for Hipshot Grip Lock with the closed back. Gotoh (who make the Phase II and III keys) and Schaller have models that drop in as well.

I have a set of Phase IIs if you want to send me your wings...;)

Thanks for the offer. I actually ended up selling the entire guitar... so it's someone else's problem now!

Be careful what you get. I bought a set of used PRS locking tuners, and they don’t work. John Mann’s Guitar Vault can sell you what would fit. Not a fan of the phase one tuners myself. But I will eventually sell my CE24 that has them. Just not in a rush.

Last edited:
Back