NEED HELP REPLACING PICKUP FRAMES

ruk777

So, I got Ebony knobs and pickup frames along with those cool abalone tuning pegs for this guitar. I had to bend the pot extensions so the ebony knobs would fit. That made me nervous enough. But now I need to take the old plastic frames off and replace with the wooden/ebony frames. I am worried that the pickup are going to simply drop into the cavity once all the screws are removed. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to avoid that from happening? I consider myself a capable worker when it comes to minor adjustments, etc... but with this guitar I do not want to take any chances. Am I better off taking this to a shop? I'd rather not. But am I right in thinking that the pickup will fall into the cavity and that I may need some special tool? Here is the guitar with new ebony knobs. I'll take a shot of the new pickup frames too. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks...
DSC07716_zpsv0jracny.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC07862_zpswylrmnql.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pickup swap is a fairly straightforward procedure -- Guitar Center will do it for cheap. Well worth it, if you don't know what you're doing. There's a series of screws and springs holding the pickup at pickup height, you'll be able to figure it out if you're ready for it and careful when taking off the old pickup rings, just do the reverse. But if you're worried at all that the springs will go flying, like the first time you took a clicker pen apart, then don't. Leave it to the professionals. But don't fret too much (heh) -- happens all the time. It's probably happened at least once to most of us. The springs are fairly cheap to replace.

PS I almost didn't answer because I was too busy admiring the guitar -- gorgeous!

The only real caution here is being careful not to crack the wooden pickup rings when you screw then to the top of your guitar - easy does it!

1. MEASURE on both the high E and low E side of each pickup from the bottom of the string to the surface of the pickup for both before you touch anything. Write those 4 numbers down..

2. remove the strings.

3. remove the 4 screws in the corners of each existing pickup ring. (not the 2 along the short sides.)

4. carefully lift out the the pickups and rings. No need to detach any wires.

5. LOOK at the way the pickups are held by the rings. visualize how far the surface of the pickups are above the rings. remove the 2 screws holding each pickup to its ring. Careful to not lose the screws or springs - note, these screws are under tension.

6. align the new rings with the screws and springs to look like they did in step 5

7. tighten the 2 screws on each pickup until about the same amount of pickup surface shows above the rings as they did in step 5.

8. install the pickups and rings back into the guitar with 4 screws each - this is where people break wooden rings - do not over tighten.

9. reinstall strings and tune.

10. use the 2 screws on the short sides of the pickup rings to raise or lower the pickups to the measurements you wrote down in step 1.

What Ruger said. The hardest part is putting on new strings :p. Nothing to fret over (see what I did there :D).

Thanks for all the responses!!!!! I am usually not one afraid to take an amp apart or try taking anything apart to repair, etc... But like you say, this guitar is so crazy nice and it is still in brand new condition. (I need to get the dust off and keep it that way), I may just have Guitar Works here in Evanston do it. They do great work and even have worked on some famous people's guitars/amps. But thanks very much. I'm going to think about it. Photos of new ebony frames when they are done. Thanks!

I may just have Guitar Works here in Evanston do it. They do great work and even have worked on some famous people's guitars/amps.

I haven't been overwhelmed with them. (I'm in Wilmette.) Chicago Music Exchange is a minor schlep for me, but I'm more impressed with their techs. Also, you can play PRS' there. Just don't try to park there when the Cubs are playing.

The trickiest part for me has always been getting the screws started that go through the springs and into the pickup legs. Seems like the springs are always longer than the screws and if it's your first time it can seem dang near impossible. Be especially careful you don't stab yourself or that beautiful guitar top during that step!

The trickiest part for me has always been getting the screws started that go through the springs and into the pickup legs. Seems like the springs are always longer than the screws and if it's your first time it can seem dang near impossible. Be especially careful you don't stab yourself or that beautiful guitar top during that step!

This! That was by far the hardest part on the last pickup swap I did. IIRC it was an Experience Limited 2012 Custom 24 that I swapped the bridge pickup on. It was a bear getting those screws lined up and started in the pickup legs, since the springs are pretty long and stiff.

ruk777,
Is that one of Brian's Northern Lights guitars? Man, that is a fine looking guitar!.

The trickiest part for me has always been getting the screws started that go through the springs and into the pickup legs.

I don't use springs on my guitars anymore. I always use this silicone tube (6mm diameter, 2mm inner hole for the screw) in pieces of 20-25 mm length, depending on the screw length.

sil20-grau510bb1798a36e_285x255.jpg

No more fiddling with the springs!

Back