Need Help Purchasing McCarty 594

JJDon

So after I got my 2016 CE24 this year, I knew I wanted a fixed bridge PRS. After playing a bunch, I've decided on the McCarty 594 double cutaway over the regular McCarty. Now I'm just trying to narrow down if I should buy used, new, or used from Guitar Center? Color wise, I know I want a Charcoal Burst, Grey Black, or possibly a sunburst finish. I'm leaning towards Charcoal Burst since my CE24 is Grey Black and my Les Paul is sunburst. Reverb has a couple used close to $3,000. Guitar Center though, has a couple sub $3,000, but I know with Guitar Center it can sometimes be a gamble. Or since I'm investing so much, should I just go ahead and buy new (would be a 2019) from Sweetwater? Thoughts?

Last edited:
I like that the new ones for 2020 have a nitro finish. Many people say nitro is the best feeling finish. It also may have a beneficial effect on tone. The new ones have TCI tuned pickups which I heard came from alien technology ;):cool::p

If you wait just a bit you can get the 2020 model with the Nitro finish and the TCI pickups.

The 594, as a double or single cutaway, is a very popular guitar, and for good reason! I have two that were purchased used online, and they are both super instruments. Then, it’s always nice to buy new... something about being the first owner that gives a bond with the guitar, so that’s a good option if your budget allows it. I’ve also purchased new from GC, but it was always in store so there was no doubt what was in the case.

PRS makes such great guitars that, with any decent level of care, the playing condition doesn’t change for the worse with time. As a 594 can only be a few years old max, any one that hasn’t been abused is going to be a stellar guitar. My 594s are examples of that!

There are updates on the 2020 model, and one (IMO) downgrade in using non-locking tuners, so you can also go that route. Then there are 594 S2 models coming too!

Last edited:
If I brought new, it wouldn't be the 2020 models. I think they're getting rid of the locking tuners on those models and I actually like those on the 2019 and below models.

The 594, as a double or single cutaway, is a very popular guitar, and for good reason! I have two that were purchased used online, and they are both super instruments. Then, it’s always nice to buy new... something about being the first owner that gives a bond with the guitar, so that’s a good option if your budget allows it. I’ve also purchased new from GC, but it was always in store so there was no doubt what was in the case.

PRS makes such great guitars that, with any decent level of care, the playing condition doesn’t change for the worse with time. As a 594 can only be a few years old max, any one that hasn’t been abused is going to be a stellar guitar.

There are updates on the 2020 model, and one (IMO) downgrade in using non-locking tuners, so you can also go that route. Then there are 594 S2 models coming too!

True about being the first owner. I plan to pass this down eventually and don't plan on selling it. Did your previous 594s all come setup when you ordered them new? As I've only ordered PRS used, I have no idea but heard they are good right out of the box.

True about being the first owner. I plan to pass this down eventually and don't plan on selling it. Did your previous 594s all come setup when you ordered them new? As I've only ordered PRS used, I have no idea but heard they are good right out of the box.
My new PRS was the 513 model and it came, literally, ready to take onstage from Sweetwater. I don’t think Sweetwater did anything to it... PRS is known for setting up the guitars very well before they go out the door. I think you’ll be impressed.

I’ve gotten some smokin deals from guitar centers used selection. I’ve never tried returning a guitar back to them but they always say on the phone that if there’s something you notice that they didn’t accurately describe just bring it back for a refund. I’m not positive if shipping fees are refunded or if there’s a restocking fee so ask first before buying.

A lot of people whine about Guitar Center but for the most part I like them. I like having one or several in most cities. I like seeing commercials on tv with the new hot deals. I recently got a Ukulele Bass (don't laugh, they sound like an upright bass) and the first one I didn't like so I just returned it at my local GC. Mine doesn't carry many Prs guitars so it's not all good. It's like a Wal Mart for instruments.

A lot of people whine about Guitar Center but for the most part I like them. I like having one or several in most cities. I like seeing commercials on tv with the new hot deals. I recently got a Ukulele Bass (don't laugh, they sound like an upright bass) and the first one I didn't like so I just returned it at my local GC. Mine doesn't carry many Prs guitars so it's not all good. It's like a Wal Mart for instruments.

Yea I've never really had any issues with Guitar Center, especially the one near me. Only thing I'm concerned about is a lack of pics of the guitars I'm interested in. There is a McCarty at my local guitar center and it has a huge dent in the front which is why its marked down to $3,000. I'm afraid something like that could be missed in pics depending on angles.

I like that the new ones for 2020 have a nitro finish. Many people say nitro is the best feeling finish. It also may have a beneficial effect on tone. The new ones have TCI tuned pickups which I heard came from alien technology ;):cool::p
Only the SC 594s will have TCI tuned pickups, designated as "58/15 LT+".

So after I got my 2016 CE24 this year, I knew I wanted a fixed bridge PRS. After playing a bunch, I've decided on the McCarty 594 double cutaway over the regular McCarty. Now I'm just trying to narrow down if I should buy used, new, or used from Guitar Center? Color wise, I know I want a Charcoal Burst, Grey Black, or possibly a sunburst finish. I'm leaning towards Charcoal Burst since my CE24 is Grey Black and my Les Paul is sunburst. Reverb has a couple used close to $3,000. Guitar Center though, has a couple sub $3,000, but I know with Guitar Center it can sometimes be a gamble. Or since I'm investing so much, should I just go ahead and buy new (would be a 2019) from Sweetwater? Thoughts?
Buying used is always a gamble, but you can lower the risk by vetting the guitar yourself, you can do very well if you find a good guitar. I've gotten some amazing deals on two used 594s I picked up on Reverb from different buyers. Communicate, ensure the photography shows the details you're interested in, make sure any defects are accurately described and portrayed, and ensure you have an out. I believe Reverb has buyers' insurance to some degree, but I would investigate that yourself and confirm.

Now that said, PRS does a hell of a job on their new guitars, and their 594 is the very best electric guitar on the planet. Sweetwater also offers setup muju if you're willing to pay for it. Nitrocellulose absolutely upgrades the guitar's tone, no question, and it feels awesome. If that's on the 2020 models, that's not a bad perk. Decide what it's worth and show us your score, brother! Good luck!

Back