Need Help Picking a PRS!

umo

I'm close to buying my first PRS SE Guitar. It's down between a PRS SE Mark Holcomb and a PRS SE Custom 22 Whale Blue that has been discontinued and has Tone Furnace pickups and a hard tail bridge.

I like playing hard rock and metal music and I have guitars with EMG's 81/85's or Seymour Duncan Invaders etc and both PRS guitars handle gain better, sustain longer and are much better at cleaning up by rolling down the volume.

Bit of a price difference between the 2 but the place I'm buying it from will bring the price of both of them down a bit so they are comparable and within my budget.

Comfort level is about the same and their tone and clarity are comparable through the different amps I've used. Might be some minor tweaking here and there but its not a night and day difference.

Features on the Mark Holcomb is the satin neck, 24 frets, coil split, ebony fretboard and a 25.5 inch scale length and Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega Signature pickups that go for $300 on their own.

But the SE Custom's cleans are just as good (but no coil split tones), and playing legato or shredding on the SE Custom is just as comfortable. I also don't really use the 23-24 frets very often at all.

The Mark Holcomb is set up for Drop C at the store but I don't really go that low.
E standard, Drop D and the occasional half step down is where I'm at.

I also don't know how the Mark Holcomb sounds for E standard, the pickups seem like they are voiced for lower tunings that go from Drop C to Drop Ab or so. I've never heard it higher so don't know if it is 'better'.

TL;DR: I'm can't decide between a PRS SE Mark Holcomb and a PRS SE Custom 22 so please help! Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Personally, I would go with the Holcomb model but given the right pickups, any PRS model should be able to handle any genre of music, including metal.

Reactions: umo
Can't go wrong either way. I'd vote Holcomb, just for the satin neck. Once you toss in the splits, and the sig pickups, that pushes it over the top, in my mind.

If you don't need the features that the Holcomb model offers, don't get it.

If you've played them both and one of them speaks to you, get that one. Always.

I have my Holcomb SE in E standard -- it's probably the best SE they make, and priced accordingly. I went with that one, myself. Plus, it's not blue. Dat roast beef finish...

Last edited:
Remember, Dusty, purple is next to blue on the color spectrum. I know you don`t live in a blue state.

Thank you all for the replies and advice. I've gone ahead and bought the PRS SE Mark Holcomb and couldn't be happier!

I think I'm going to start selling my other guitars now...

Back