Need help identifying pickups taken out of a 87 PRS Std.

OWNZILLA

I took the pickups out of a 1987 PRS Std a few years ago. I want to put them back in, but have two other sets of pickups that look similar. I can't find any markings anywhere on them. How can I figure out which is the correct set and which is the bridge and neck pickup?

Help!!

That's a tough one... You could start by seeing if two of the slug pieces are not magnetic, I believe (but could be totally wrong) that the high E&B pieces for those years were non-magnetic, so you should be able to figure out which is which that way.... That's all I got.

You could measure the resistance. The bridge will be higher than the neck. As for what kind they are, the ones that have no markings are "Vintage" I think. I have them in my 88 CE24 and the PRS website says they are "Vintage".

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. They look exactly like markie's pics - gray wire too. Most likely, these are HFS treble and Vintage bass - is that correct?

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. They look exactly like markie's pics - gray wire too. Most likely, these are HFS treble and Vintage bass - is that correct?

Mine look the same, but the website calls them Vintage. Not sure about them though.
88pups.jpg

OK another question - What about a treble-bleed mod - what does everyone recommend? What about a parallel version with a 680pf capacitor and a 220K resistor?

Back