Need help finding a distortion pedal

dvlsadvc8t

I have a Paisley Drive for my OD. A Big Muff with Tone Wicker for my fuzz. I'm looking for some good classic distortion to go in between those two pedals. I play through one of two amps - a tweed twin or a twin reverb. Guitars are usually either one of my many Strats, a tele, or a PRS CE-22. The tone that I'm looking for is kinda old school distortion - 70's and maybe some 80's (Ratt, Motley Crue, etc.). Definitely not anything super heavy. I really don't play much stuff that I need something that heavy but I like to have it if the mood arises. I'm considering either the Wampler SLOstortion or ProCo Rat. Any thoughts from you guys? I've spent so much time looking for an OD pedal that I like that I've kinda lost touch with what's out there as far as distortion goes.

I'd recommend Wampler Plextortion or SLOstortion. Plex is more JCM800, SLO is obviously SL0100 Soldano territory and is more 80s.

Nice choice on the Paisley Drive. It was my drive of choice in my Eagles tribute (doing Joe Walsh parts) and still has never left the board to this day. My favorite OD.

I'm a fan of the ProCo Rat although it can be a bit harsh through certain rigs. I use my line 6 M9 version of that all the time when I want some good 80s type disto. I had a Hoa Rust Driver that I liked to use for certain plexi-type tones as well, not for everyone though. I've been using a TS-808 clone lately for something extra/different on top of my lead channel. A Keeley modded DS-1 was also a fav on my board before the M9.

I'd recommend Wampler Plextortion or SLOstortion. Plex is more JCM800, SLO is obviously SL0100 Soldano territory and is more 80s.

Nice choice on the Paisley Drive. It was my drive of choice in my Eagles tribute (doing Joe Walsh parts) and still has never left the board to this day. My favorite OD.

I really like the Paisley Drive. I had one once before but decided that I needed to search around for something else. That was a stupid decision. I've tried the Plextortion but just didn't bond with it. The SLOstortion, though, sounds really good.

I'm a fan of the ProCo Rat although it can be a bit harsh through certain rigs. I use my line 6 M9 version of that all the time when I want some good 80s type disto. I had a Hoa Rust Driver that I liked to use for certain plexi-type tones as well, not for everyone though. I've been using a TS-808 clone lately for something extra/different on top of my lead channel. A Keeley modded DS-1 was also a fav on my board before the M9.

I had been using the Rat model in my M9 as well. That's what got me thinking about the Rat pedal again. After 2 years with the M9, I decided to sell it and go back to individual pedals. I basically got bored with it and wanted a change. But I still like that tone that the Rat model on the M9 had.

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna try out a Rat pedal first and then try out the SLOstortion if the Rat doesn't work out for me.

You are pretty spoilt for choice nowadays! So many great pedals, and many of them doing very similar things.

Check out the BJFe / Bearfoot - Dyna Red Distortion pedal, very ''Marshall' like in it's sound. I have the BJFe one but I hear the Bearfoot one is just as good and a whole lot cheaper!

I also really like OKKO, they have some great sounding Pedals. The Diablo and the Dominator are gain OD/Distortions. I know they sound like they will be really brutal but they are both very useable at various levels of distortion.

Good luck in the hunt!

You are pretty spoilt for choice nowadays! So many great pedals, and many of them doing very similar things.

Yeah, that's the problem I've run into. There's just so much stuff out there now that it's hard to figure out just what I'm looking at. You kinda get dizzy from watching Andy's PGS videos. I had forgotten about the Okko Diablo. I'll check it and the Dominator out. Thanks for all the suggestions. Off to PGS and Youtube for some more video delight.

You've already got one of my fave's w/ the Paisley Drive. I also have a Lovepedal Kalamazoo Gold Edition. They sound AMAZING!! 2 different tones and both work perfect for me. I have a few videos out there showcasing both pedals with various gtrs.

You've already got one of my fave's w/ the Paisley Drive. I also have a Lovepedal Kalamazoo Gold Edition. They sound AMAZING!! 2 different tones and both work perfect for me. I have a few videos out there showcasing both pedals with various gtrs.

Thanks Chris. I've caught a couple of your vids. Loved the one with new Gretsch. I was going to ask you which of the 2 pedals you prefer since I saw that you had both in one video that you did. Guess now I know - you love both. I have to say that I really like that Lovepedal Redhead. Too bad they don't make it anymore.

Thanks Chris. I've caught a couple of your vids. Loved the one with new Gretsch. I was going to ask you which of the 2 pedals you prefer since I saw that you had both in one video that you did. Guess now I know - you love both. I have to say that I really like that Lovepedal Redhead. Too bad they don't make it anymore.

Be patient. The Redhead will be back out again very soon. I bought mine brand new a week or so ago. It's a V2. I go in on the pre-sale. They should hit stores soon.

It sounds like you have OD covered well with the Paisley. Have you tried a Fulltone OCD? I just sold mine but it smokes with a Twin. Highly recommended.

I don't do distortion, but for sweet sounds, the xotic, BB, AC boost or the mad proffessor golden cello can get the hairs on your toenails vibrating!!!

I'm actually finding that the Paisley has a pretty good tone to it when cranked. Combining the Big Muff with the Paisley really sounds good - think Gilmour tones. I may still pick up something else, but for now, my search has been suspended. Right now I'm just waiting for the TC Electronic/PGS Alter Ego delay pedal to get restocked this month.

I have the Wampler SLOstortion and the Okko Diablo Gain+. Both are EXCELLENT OD/Distortion pedals. Neither is anything like the Paisley pedal. The Paisley is a brighter sounding pedal. The Okko Diablo is more like a cranked Fender or Dumble and is a very transparent pedal (doesn't color your natural tone). The SLOstortion sounds like a Soldano SLO amp. The SLOstortion has WAY more available gain than the Diablo. It also has a lot more "growly" type of distortion than the Diablo. Both are capable of VERY nice just edge of breakup blues, but distinctly different flavors of it. The SLOstortion can easily go all the way from mild blues into metal, while the Diablo does not do heavy distortion but EXCELS at mild distortion.

Last edited:
I'd second the recommendation on the ProCo Rat. I'm also a huge, huge fan of the Hardwire (Digitech) Valve Distortion pedal. It's become my favorite (and almost exclusively used) distortion pedal. I can dial in so many sounds from that pedal; it's got a wide range and is extremely versatile. Just my $0.02 :)

need help finding a good distortion pedal

Hi, I want to surprise my boyfriend and buy him a new distortion pedal for his Ibanez guitar. I’ve checked many websites and there are literally hundreds of good valve distortion pedals out there!! I’m between Blackstar HT-Dual, MXR, Ibanez Tube Screamer, Boss DS-1 Distortion, and lately found good reviews of various Providence pedals….:iamconfused: My boyfriend plays a variety of styles, from Gary Moore, through Satriani, Vai, to metal bands like Pantera or Megadeth. Can you advise?

Tonal Insanity :) ( shameless plug for my stuff )
Killmanjaro or Nigara or Sequoia
Check out CRGTRs demos of them.

I have a Paisley Drive for my OD. A Big Muff with Tone Wicker for my fuzz. I'm looking for some good classic distortion to go in between those two pedals. I play through one of two amps - a tweed twin or a twin reverb. Guitars are usually either one of my many Strats, a tele, or a PRS CE-22. The tone that I'm looking for is kinda old school distortion - 70's and maybe some 80's (Ratt, Motley Crue, etc.). Definitely not anything super heavy. I really don't play much stuff that I need something that heavy but I like to have it if the mood arises. I'm considering either the Wampler SLOstortion or ProCo Rat. Any thoughts from you guys? I've spent so much time looking for an OD pedal that I like that I've kinda lost touch with what's out there as far as distortion goes.

It sounds like you have OD covered well with the Paisley. Have you tried a Fulltone OCD? I just sold mine but it smokes with a Twin. Highly recommended.

I agree you have a good OD, now you need some crunch and distortion. OCD is great. However, I got an MI Super Crunch Box and it is a killer amp in a box.- I highly recommend it.

Back