Need help deciding which PRS I should get

Best PRS SE for $400 and under

• Total voters
If your a classic rock player, I'd stick to your initial thought of a P90 guitar. Or a Custom 22. 22 frets will give you the creamier neck pickup tones often heard. 24 fret guitar changes the position of the neck pickup.

Hmm okay, what exactly is the difference between the customs that have the bird inlays and the moon inlays. From what I've seen the ones with the moon inlays were generally less than those with birds so I wasn't sure if there was a difference in them other than that.

No difference in moons vs birds other than aesthetics. I generally like birds and I think most folks lean that way too, and they do cost more from the factory that way, so for any particular model the ones with birds will be a bit more.

Hmm okay, what exactly is the difference between the customs that have the bird inlays and the moon inlays. From what I've seen the ones with the moon inlays were generally less than those with birds so I wasn't sure if there was a difference in them other than that.
The birds themselves are just the PRS "signature inlay", I'd be more concerned with the "bones" of the guitar to get the sound you like. A good place to start is getting an idea of how things like 22 vs. 24 frets affect things. Scale length, body thickness...all of it matters. The best thing is to be able to get your hands on some guitars. That's not always possible, I understand. My suggestions for a classic rock sound in the SE line in no particular order...

Zach Myers semi hollow SE
Bernie Marsden SE
SE 245
SC 245 SE
any of the P90 SE's
SE custom or standard 22

All that said, it's gotta be something that inspires you and makes you want to play. There's no hard and fast rules, just opinions and suggestions. Many a great guitar tone have been made by a guitar that you wouldn't figure would've been the "right" choice. So get something that appeals to you in terms of looks and tone.

No difference in moons vs birds other than aesthetics. I generally like birds and I think most folks lean that way too, and they do cost more from the factory that way, so for any particular model the ones with birds will be a bit more.
Yup.

What are you, nuts? Get the 7-string, it's (does quick math) over 16% more guitar! XD

No, seriously, I've heard good things about the Akerfeldt. Me, I'd get the semi-hollow or a singlecut, myself.

Last edited:
I just bought a used PRS SE Soapbar from Guitar Center for $299 plus shipping and tax! I'm so excited!!!! And it's cherry red, my favorite color!!!!

Now I just have to sell my other guitar to my brother :D. That dorko has a decent amp and a whole fancy speaker system for his house, but I asked him if he want's a guitar and he said "eh, I don't know". I'll have to refine my sales skills!

What are you, nuts? Get the 7-string, it's (does quick math) over 16% more guitar! XD

No, seriously, I've heard good things about the Akerfeldt. Me, I'd get the semi-hollow or a singlecut, myself.
7 String is on the list (I've decided once again that I'd rather have that than a baritone), but they don't come cheaper than $500-750 and it just looks like it's a bit harder, so it's on the later list.

My secondary job is a gunstore owner. I get people asking me all the time "Which gun should I get?" The simple answer is you simply have to try a bunch and see what you like. Guitars are exactly the same thing. Play a bunch, and see which speaks to you.

After playing my soapbar a while, I can concur with what others have said about it, it's an amazing pickup and I like that vintage angry, yet not mega distorted sound it can give you, but it's not the most versatile. I'd say it can handle more variety than a single coil, since my single coil didn't do very well on quite a bit of different distortions, but a middle of the road humbucker is going to be more versatile.

Am I the only one who thinks P90s sound super amazing on jazz setting? They have character like a single coil, but are deeper and richer!

Back