Need help deciding which PRS I should get

Best PRS SE for $400 and under

• Total voters

abestein

Hey guys I am new to the forum and I am looking to get back into playing guitar, I stopped playing a few years ago dues to lack of time and funds but now I am ready to get another guitar. After much research I have decided that a used PRS SE is the way to go for high quality on a low budget. Ideally I don't want to spend more than 400. I was looking at a few ranging from the standard 24 to the Soapbar/Soapbar2, and custom 24, and semi hollow, and so on. Its just that there are so many different editions that it is really hard to decide which one is the best value. I am leaning toward the Soapbar because it just sounds like they are an all around good guitar and it just seems to have a little cooler history since it was discontinued. But I would like to hear what you guys think is the best buy for under 400? Also is the Soapbar better/worse than a soapbar 2? I know its a singlecut vs doublecut but i figured since the soapbar wasnt produced for very long it might be a little more sought after?

Assuming (dangerous!) that the Custom semi-hollow listed is the older version, not the ZM or other Cu22 or Cu24 variant, then I would recommend the typical maple-topped/hog body CU22/24 - it is the quintessential PRS model.

Assuming (dangerous!) that the Custom semi-hollow listed is the older version, not the ZM or other Cu22 or Cu24 variant, then I would recommend the typical maple-topped/hog body CU22/24 - it is the quintessential PRS model.

The semi hollow that I am talking about is the one with the very simple hollow cutout rather than the more elegant looking f shape if that helps.

They are all about the same value and one is not going to be more sought after than another. If you have experience with P90's then you are set with either of the soapbars. If not you will just have to get used to the 60 Hz hum. It's really not a big deal and I love them. I have the Soapy 2 and they are great guitars. You might also think about the singlecut as the humbuckers will put you in generally familiar territory. They are all great and they are all about the same value. You can't go wrong.

You don't mention what kind of music you intend on playing.

If this will be your only guitar and you're a rock or metal kind of guy I'd go Custom 22/24 or Single Cut. Basic meat and potato stuff.

Semi-Hollows and Soapbars are something I'd get in a second or third guitar to provide some variety, after the basics are taken care of.

Look at the SE Singlecut p90, the SE Singlecut Trem, and the SE CU24. I still have them all, and they`re what started me on the road to ruin. if you like p90`s, there`s one on ebuy right now that`s within your budget. My first PRS was a Singlecut with 2 P90`s. I like them so much, I still have 2.

Look at the SE Singlecut p90, the SE Singlecut Trem, and the SE CU24. I still have them all, and they`re what started me on the road to ruin. if you like p90`s, there`s one on ebuy right now that`s within your budget. My first PRS was a Singlecut with 2 P90`s. I like them so much, I still have 2.

Yeah I think that may be what I am leaning more towards because I have to factor in the cost of an amp and everything like that. I mean what is the real difference between the PRS se standard 24 and the custom 24 other than the maple top? Same with the singlecut?

The semi hollow that I am talking about is the one with the very simple hollow cutout rather than the more elegant looking f shape if that helps.
I had one of those with the "cat eye" cutout and it was ok, but I didn't bond with it, so it went. Given your preference for classic rock, I'd bet the SE CU24 would right up your alley.

I had one of those with the "cat eye" cutout and it was ok, but I didn't bond with it, so it went. Given your preference for classic rock, I'd bet the SE CU24 would right up your alley.

I just stumbled upon a PRS SE Torero for 474 in excellent condition, its pretty much the same pricepoint as the CU24 so I wasnt sure if it would be better, or if the EMG pickups would be more for metal type playing. Other thing that concerns me is that it doesnt have any enlays which would be fine for an experienced guitarist i'm sure, but usually the enlays tend to help me keep track of the odd frets and where I'm at on the neck so I feel like although its a deal it may not be a good idea.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/PRS/Torrero-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Can't speak to the EMG pups, but from what I read in other threads I don't think I'd care for the added complexity of a Floyd Rose trem.

I had the SE Standard 24. I got it in a trade. While it was good for the money, the CU24 is simply better made. The SE Standards are all made in Indonesia. The factory where the Se`s are made is in Korea and has high quality standards. I sold the SE Standard and got the CU 24. I can tell you it`s far better made, better than any of the USA Gibsons or Fenders I used to own. I have most of the SE`s, and wouldn`t get EMG`S or a guitar without fret markers if I were you. I found the EMG`s great for very high gain, bad for clean. They were too dry for my ears. I have one guitar with a Floyd Rose, it sits in the case. IF you want a tremolo guitar the SE trems are reliable and easy to set up. You can get a used Tech 21 trademark 30 for very little, and it could be the only amp you ever need for the rest of your life. I`ve played Tech 21`s for the last 15 years. They can do literally any style you want from Jazz to new metal. Of course, they kill for rock and the blues.

I had the SE Standard 24. I got it in a trade. While it was good for the money, the CU24 is simply better made. The SE Standards are all made in Indonesia. The factory where the Se`s are made is in Korea and has high quality standards. I sold the SE Standard and got the CU 24. I can tell you it`s far better made, better than any of the USA Gibsons or Fenders I used to own. I have most of the SE`s, and wouldn`t get EMG`S or a guitar without fret markers if I were you. I found the EMG`s great for very high gain, bad for clean. They were too dry for my ears. I have one guitar with a Floyd Rose, it sits in the case. IF you want a tremolo guitar the SE trems are reliable and easy to set up. You can get a used Tech 21 trademark 30 for very little, and it could be the only amp you ever need for the rest of your life. I`ve played Tech 21`s for the last 15 years. They can do literally any style you want from Jazz to new metal. Of course, they kill for rock and the blues.

Oh cool, thank you. I hadnt even thought about amps yet so ill look into that!

I wasnt even paying attention and now I just realized it had the floyd rose trem, I guess ill have to live with it for now. Are they that bad? If so they can always be swapped right?

You might ask the guy if you can back out since you didn't realize it had the Floyd. It's just a little bothersome changing strings. For your first guitar I'd try to get something else.

Yeah I just sent him a message, fortunately I payed via paypal so getting a refund should be a little easier. I guess I was so transfixed by the scarlett red finish that I didn't fully read the title. Plus in the description it actually says PRS tremolo so it seems like its a little misleading there. Oh well, I guess I will just have to keep looking then.

If your a classic rock player, I'd stick to your initial thought of a P90 guitar. Or a Custom 22. 22 frets will give you the creamier neck pickup tones often heard. 24 fret guitar changes the position of the neck pickup.

Back