Need advice in picking PRS guitar

Preferred PRS guitar?

• PRS SE AX20E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PRS SE Kingfisher

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ult1mat3X

Hello community! I recently joined to the forum and I never interested in PRS guitars before but now I'm starting to think about getting one but there are too many models with almost the same name so I got confused. What are the standard models of PRS guitars (I mean like ''fender American standard'' or ''Gibson Les Paul standard'' ) plus any suggestions? Could someone share opinions or personal experience on models represented from the review above, please?

It’s fairly straightforward:
SE - offshore mfg’ed, PRS-designed and final inspected in Maryland
S2 - USA made models with a simplified production process and lower cost than core models
Core - the original USA-built PRS model offering
Private Stock - you dream it, they build it (you sell organs)

Welcome!

Someone is going to say it, so here it is.

Find the nearest shop to you that stocks PRS and get your hands on them.

One or several will suit/talk to you!

If it’s one, you post your NGD we will all gaze adoringly and shower you with congratulations.

If it’s several, all of us will applaud you, cheer, whoop and the GAS will be high!

Good luck on your journey.

Hello community! I recently joined to the forum and I never interested in PRS guitars before but now I'm starting to think about getting one but there are too many models with almost the same name so I got confused. What are the standard models of PRS guitars (I mean like ''fender American standard'' or ''Gibson Les Paul standard'' ) plus any suggestions? Could someone share opinions or personal experience on models represented from the review above, please?

If I had to say any was a PRS 'standard' in the same vein as the Gibson Les Paul Standard, then I would probably say the Core PRS Custom 24 - the Guitar that is synonymous with PRS and the guitar that launched them.

As for the 4 guitars you have posted as a poll, one is a Bass, 1 is an Acoustic and the other 2 electrics with one being a Signature model that isn't the most 'PRS' guitar - not saying its bad or anything but its not a typical PRS with a much flatter radius fretboard and 25.5" scale as well as Mark's Signature Seymour Duncan PU's. Also, not one of these are made by PRS but made under licence and imported - again not saying that's 'bad' at all and they are made to PRS or Artist, in the case of the Holcombe for example, specs.

The SE range is more like the Epiphone range to Gibson. The S2 is more like the Gibson Les Paul Studio/Classic/Tribute. There isn't really a comparison Gibson range to the CE/Bolt-on range and its probably closer to Fender - this range also has the Silver Sky of course but the others in this range would be more like a high end Fender than anything Gibson offer.

As others have said, its best you get yourself off to a music store and try different PRS models and see what you like. You cannot compare the 4 models you have picked and ALL 4 can be worth buying if you want a Bass, an Acoustic and 2 very different electrics. You can always check the PRS website for models and the specs too. Without knowing what budget you have, what preference you have etc there is no way anyone can give you any more advice than to actually go out, try a few different models and see which suits you and your budget.

Mozzi is absolutely right. The selections you put up are completely different. The short answer to the ‘standard’ question is the custom 22 - a good choice as an electric.

Holcomb is a specialized electric.
AX20E is acoustic.
Kingfisher is a bass.

Boogie gave the code for why the names seem similar: SE are made offshore.

Avoid signature models if you like to sell and trade guitars -- you not only need to find a buyer who likes PRS, then SE, then 22 frets, then color, but also be an avid fan of that artist. Retailers like to buy (and convince the factories to make) signature models so they have something to talk about in the store "did you see the new So 'n So model we have right here?" But as an independent seller later on it's more difficult to find someone.

In PRS parlance, Custom usually means a maple-capped body while Standard means the same (mahogany) body without the maple cap.

Avoid signature models if you like to sell and trade guitars -- you not only need to find a buyer who likes PRS, then SE, then 22 frets, then color, but also be an avid fan of that artist. Retailers like to buy (and convince the factories to make) signature models so they have something to talk about in the store "did you see the new So 'n So model we have right here?" But as an independent seller later on it's more difficult to find someone.
This feels to me like a "thing we know to be true that we don't have data for."

I buy on specs and feel (and sometimes color.) While I happen to really like Mark Holcomb, I was already in the market for a less-expensive prog-metally PRS for Drop-C.

I think a well-spec'd artist model will stay in production b/c it fills a niche and isn't too specific to the artist - see: Zach Myers, Holcomb, DGT, Tremonti.

A lot of the very artist specific ones tend to peter out b/c they seem to be stock models with cosmetics that are love/hate - see: Orianthi, Akerfeldt, Catanese

Thank you guys for replies!

The poll seems attracted only by one model. So, if I decide to buy custom 22 is there a much difference in terms of price from online shop and offline?

Back