need advice & help about my custom 24

amit

Hello, before 2 years i bought an amazing custom 24 and i realy like it at all. the problem is that I like two point bridges (have had a musicman jp6 that had nice bridge) over 6 points vintage bridge. the bridge in my custom 24 is ok and the guitar remain in tune, but in 2 point floating tremolo bridge you can “dive” in a better way.

maybe there is someone who changed the phase 3 locking bridge to something else? I thought to swap out the core bridge to the 2 point floating tremolo of floyd rose - like in the guthrie govan charvel signature ( not to full floyd rose with locking strings). Is it possible to do that? i dont know if it will fit the guitar.. and if yes the guitar will stay in tune like now? thank you.

Have you thought about buying a PRS CE24 with Floyd Rose or trading your CU24 in for one with a Floyd Rose??

Have you thought about buying a PRS CE24 with Floyd Rose or trading your CU24 in for one with a Floyd Rose??
No, because i dont like a full floyd rose bridge with locking strings at all.. it has some good things but when i tune the guitar (sometimes to drop d) i would like to use the tuners instaed of the bridge himself. the CE24 isnt a set neck guitar (one of the reason i bought my custom 24)and I am so love my custom 24 (the sound, the playbillity, the feel) that i cant sell it only because i dont like the bridge. also, it has the 85/15 pickups that fit me well. I tought about trading it for custom 24 floyd but like i said - i dont like floyds with locking strings at all.

Well the SE has a solid rather than bolt on so there is that options for any song that you feel you need to dive-bomb in but I don't know of any 2 point floating Trem system that would fit without messing up the Custom 24 and keeping the sustain etc that you have. The SE24 Floyd Rose has the 85/15's in too - at least the SE version anyway and whilst I know its still not 'ideal' for different tunings, you could set it up for the tuning you need it for and play the Custom 24 for all the songs that don't need Dive-bombs...

Well the SE has a solid rather than bolt on so there is that options for any song that you feel you need to dive-bomb in but I don't know of any 2 point floating Trem system that would fit without messing up the Custom 24 and keeping the sustain etc that you have. The SE24 Floyd Rose has the 85/15's in too - at least the SE version anyway and whilst I know its still not 'ideal' for different tunings, you could set it up for the tuning you need it for and play the Custom 24 for all the songs that don't need Dive-bombs...
I prefer not to compromise about the overall quality of the guitar.. the SE is a wonderful guitar but my custom 24 core sounds much better, altought they both have the same pickups. is it possible at all to swap a 6 point bridge into 2 point bridge without harm the guitar body? cuz if not i will think about another senario.. even to buy other guitar, but first I want to be sure that i checked well the possibilities before i will do it.

I prefer not to compromise about the overall quality of the guitar.. the SE is a wonderful guitar but my custom 24 core sounds much better, altought they both have the same pickups. is it possible at all to swap a 6 point bridge into 2 point bridge without harm the guitar body? cuz if not i will think about another senario.. even to buy other guitar, but first I want to be sure that i checked well the possibilities before i will do it.

I don't know of any myself - not that will fit in the PRS and without needing to make the holes bigger for the two point screws either. I don't know if the Wudtone PRS DD bridge is 'better' for what you are looking for - it is a 6 point bridge too but maybe more like the 2point bridges if you find they do the Dive-bombs you want. Its designed for a PRS too.

John Mann does a 2 post tremolo to retrofit some Fenders with a PRS type system...
It would still need new holes drilled to mount it and I doubt you'll be able to dive bomb more...
If the trem arm hits the body when diving, maybe change the angle of the trem bar by pushing it against something...

Have you looked at the Floyd rose rail tail? Easy install, with no modification needed.

The PRS bridge is different from a vintage 6-point bridge. Each of the screws has a V shape carved into it and each of the holes in the bridge has a knife edge. It is similar in function to a 2-point bridge, but you have the vibration transfer of a 6-point.

You may want to try using only 3 springs in the back instead of 4. That will loosen up the feel and will allow you get the flutter effect and do dives easier. Just make sure to tighten the claw screws to make sure the bridge floats level 1/16" (1.6 mm) above the top. When I had a CU24 this was my preferred setup.

You could install a Floyd Rose, but that would require considerable routing to the body.

The PRS bridge is different from a vintage 6-point bridge. Each of the screws has a V shape carved into it and each of the holes in the bridge has a knife edge. It is similar in function to a 2-point bridge, but you have the vibration transfer of a 6-point.

You may want to try using only 3 springs in the back instead of 4. That will loosen up the feel and will allow you get the flutter effect and do dives easier. Just make sure to tighten the claw screws to make sure the bridge floats level 1/16" (1.6 mm) above the top. When I had a CU24 this was my preferred setup.

You could install a Floyd Rose, but that would require considerable routing to the body.
thank you man i will try to do that!

Back