Need a better guitar

Since Taylor went to the V Class bracing in the solid models, the laminated 100 and 200 series are the only Taylors I like. I do love older, X braced Taylors.
Interesting. What don't you like about the V class bracing? Just the sound?

Since Taylor went to the V Class bracing in the solid models, the laminated 100 and 200 series are the only Taylors I like. I do love older, X braced Taylors.
Agreed. The V-brace doesn't sound as good. It's too dark sounding. Not balanced. Cool idea, but the X sounds better. Paul's X with the fan brace sounds even better.

Interesting about the Taylors.

I had a couple in the '90s that had a little too much high-frequency 'zing' for recording, and went to Collings because I thought they were better-balanced, with a more solid fundamental tone.

All this is subjective of course.

I haven't gone acoustic guitar shopping since getting my PS Tonare Grand in 2013.

If you consider a cheap option, I would definitely take the Fender CD 60s. It sounds velvety and very pleasant

What kind of guitar can you recommend to a teenage beginner?
I'd recommend an import.

Breedlove has some great sounding imports.

So does Blueridge and Eastman.

I know nothing about PRS acoustics, but they should be looked into too.

I like Starr's Guitars a lot. I've bought at least six guitars from him and also my HDRX 20 watt amp.

They stock both Breedlove and PRS.

David Starr tends to be able to beat any price around.

And he ships.

What kind of guitar can you recommend to a teenage beginner?

A lot depends on what they want to do - are they going to play electric, acoustic, etc.? Or do they even care?

The import market is light years ahead of where it was when I was growing up. You can't really go wrong with some of the import lines (say $300-400+ new). That said, I'd look at used as well - some great bargains to be had there.

And I can vouch for the PRS SE Acoustics. They punch well above their price range.

I'm also looking to step up and keep coming back to the PRS A50. For the price, it sounds better than Taylor, Guild and Breedlove. But I don't like that it doesn't have a built in tuner (always something). I'm in a hot/humid area and going in and out with AC can be an issue for tuning.

Anyone know if PRS acoustic eletctrics hold their tune?

I'm also looking to step up and keep coming back to the PRS A50. For the price, it sounds better than Taylor, Guild and Breedlove. But I don't like that it doesn't have a built in tuner (always something). I'm in a hot/humid area and going in and out with AC can be an issue for tuning.

Anyone know if PRS acoustic eletctrics hold their tune?
My A40 E holds tune great. I can not pick it up for a month (I play mostly electric in my band) and often don't have to touch the tuning at all.

So I saw a Breedlove Pursuit acoustic-elec last night, loved the sound, and am now thinking about that instead of PRS. I need to stop checking out guitars and just get one, lol. Anyone have a Breedlove or opinions about Breedlove?

The SE Angelus with Ziricote is consistently impressive. A really great, full sound for a good price.

Back