Neck Woods

prscat33511

Can anyone describe the differences, if any, between having a rosewood neck and mahogany neck ?
Also prefer Rosewood or ebony fingerboards
I understand tone is subjective.
Any input or experiences appreciated, thanks

I just got a custom 24 with a rosewood neck... the reason I got it was the feel of the neck. very smooth and worn in feeling. as far as the tone? IMO it is very woody (acoustic sounding) then the mahogany neck on my mccarty. a tad more percussive? but really, the way it feels was the selling point for me.

I've had several RW necks and a lot of 'hog necks.

My experience has been that RW enhances the lower midrange, and adds a little punch, much in the way a thicker body does. This is probably why it feels more percussive to vox801.

By way of contrast, 'hog seems a little more airy. Actually, it isn't more airy at all, it's just that the enhanced lower mids of RW tend to fool the ear because the frequency balance is slightly altered.

While I love the feel of RW, I prefer the tone of the mahogany necks by a tiny amount.

And we are talking about small differences in any case.

I've had several RW necks and a lot of 'hog necks.

My experience has been that RW enhances the lower midrange, and adds a little punch, much in the way a thicker body does. This is probably why it feels more percussive to vox801.

By way of contrast, 'hog seems a little more airy. Actually, it isn't more airy at all, it's just that the enhanced lower mids of RW tend to fool the ear because the frequency balance is slightly altered.

While I love the feel of RW, I prefer the tone of the mahogany necks by a tiny amount.

And we are talking about small differences in any case.

+1 The rosewood neck has more midrange, the mahogany is still warm and balanced though. I like both about the same but the feel of rosewood is wonderful.

+1 The rosewood neck has more midrange, the mahogany is still warm and balanced though. I like both about the same but the feel of rosewood is wonderful.

the feel of Rosewood is to die for (addictive even) and with the right pickups BRW can sound almost piano like, think ME1 or SC Braz ltd then again I could be biased ;-)

I have in PRSi
2 - IRW
1-Maple/Rosewood FB
1-Hog/Rosewood FB
1-Korina
The feel of the rosewood is special but each wood seems to bring something to the guitar since they all have different pickups.
I find that I always seem to sound like me regardless of guitar but each causes me to play a bit differently so some days a different guitar just feels right :)

the feel of Rosewood is to die for (addictive even) and with the right pickups BRW can sound almost piano like, think ME1 or SC Braz ltd then again I could be biased ;-)

Completely agree here. Since I got my IRW McCarty, it has been very hard to get any other guitar that doesn't have a rosewood neck, to be fair at this time the only guitar I have without a rosewood neck is my DGT.
The tone and the feel really do make a huge difference to my ears

Good stuff, folks !

Feel and Piano - like tones. Sounds deliciously enticing

Cool
When I get the time I'd like to find somewhere they have both

Back