Neck Relief

deakle

Is it fairly common for the neck relief on PRS Core models to be basically flat? I have checked both my Custom 24 and SC250 and they are both flat. They play and intonate just fine, no fret buzz. I was curious as I like the way they feel and play and I wanted to see if I could duplicate their setup on one of my “other brand” guitars. Any thoughts, comments? How about you @Shawn@PRS?

Mine all have the very slightest amount of bow, but less than any other guitars I've ever played. Keep in mind that the fretwork on these babies is spot on, even my 92 EG still has amazing frets and intonation. It's part of what makes them special.

I do most of my own set ups, and my dad has all the fret working tools. So if they need a lot of help he gets to work the guitar first. Anyway my point is, if the frets are done correctly, you can make any guitar neck play like a PRS. But all the hardware will play a part. And a perfect neck can’t overcome problems elsewhere. And it’s time consuming to get it perfect. That’s why most other companies don’t spend as much time on it.

But back to, if you can make yours play like a PRS? Yes. How much work it will take depends on the guitar.

Of the four older (2003 and older) models I have two CU24's and two CU22's all the necks are straight/flat with very little if no relief. They play fantastic with no buzz and the intonation is spot on. The SE's a single cut (Korean made) and Standard (Indonesia) are a bit different. The single cut has a little relief. The standard I bought to mess around with and I tried the neck straight but while there was no buzz it just didn't seem to play well so I put a little relief and its much better if not 100%. Now all this being said any guitar I own I love the action as low and then some as possible. So acoustically I may get a little string noise witch doesn't bother me just the set-up I've always tried to achieve.

One secret...that may not be a secret is that PRS guitars have gradual "fall away" in the way higher frets as part of their leveling. This allows a straight neck with low action and no buzzing in the upper frets. It is found on higher end guitars and on some custom neck builders but not all. Your "other brand" may have it or not. You'll know when you set it straight and low and try to play it. You can take your guitar to a luthier and have the fall away added of yours was not fret leveled that way.

Back