Neck Relief Question with Silver Sky

PeteM

I've been trying to get rid of buzz on the neck of my Silver Sky by increasing relief and this has worked, but the action is pretty high at the 12th fret, about 2.6-7mm/3/32nd inch+. My relief is about .010. Some have suggested increasing relief but I'm wondering if I reduce relief and then raise the saddles if I will achieve lower action all around. What's your experience?

Mine can tolerate the lowest action with moderate relief. About the thickness of a slim business card, how ever much that is. I’m guessing .015-.018. It will still buzz a little bit if I play it hard but very little comes through the amp, if any. I have a Strat with vintage radius too, same story. I think the longer 25.5” scale allows for more string oscillation so you get a little more buzz vs a shorter scale. It’s all part of getting that sound though. I prefer a medium action anyway. Sounds better to me.

Thanks..my current setup plays well but I've had expectations raised. Just trying to figure out if I'm missing something when quite a few people say they have lower action on their SS with little to no buzz.

Every guitar sets up a little differently. If you can’t get it where you want it you could get a fret level or PLEK done. And people have different opinions as to what low action is. And people have different string attack. And some people play with flimsy picks (can’t figure that one out). I’ve tried to play some other people’s guitars that I thought had terrible setups but they were fine with it. I have slightly lower action on my CE24 but not by much. I don’t know the numbers but I could measure the Silver Sky at some point and post the numbers here.

Yes, it's all very subjective. When you get a minute I'd like to see what your relief is and how big the gap at the 12th. Thanks.

Back