Neck radius options?

Rampage

Do you think we will ever see the day where PRS will offer radius options? I.e., compound, 12" etc?

I am able to dial in lower action on my flatter radius spec'd guitars which includes my PS Santana (11.5" radius), Anderson, GMP etc. I don't find myself playing my 10" radius PRS as much.

It would be great if you could get the 11.5" on the core models.

I am in the same boat as you are. I used to be able to play any radius fret board, but the longer I played, the more I desired more specific things on a guitar.

I might be different from most other players in this regard, but my preferences became far more clear the longer I continued to play.

Paul addressed this in the clinic at Atlanta last year, in response to a similar question. He seemed very committed to the 10" radius and called out how small a difference it is between that and 12". But who knows, if he ends up thinking it makes a better guitar that will sell, he could change it.

I don't think it makes sense to have it as a separate option on production guitars. You can have any radius you want on a Private Stock, though. ;)

Agree a compound radius would be pretty sweet!

Would love to have Stainless Steel frets as well

I'm also in the 11.5 - 12" radius camp myself and also wish other models than the Santana had a flatter than 10" radius.

I was a bit surprised that the radius on the 594 series wasn't flatter by design.

Paul addressed this in the clinic at Atlanta last year, in response to a similar question. He seemed very committed to the 10" radius and called out how small a difference it is between that and 12". But who knows, if he ends up thinking it makes a better guitar that will sell, he could change it.

I don't think it makes sense to have it as a separate option on production guitars. You can have any radius you want on a Private Stock, though. ;)

Hmm. I would argue with Paul that the difference in feel between a 10" and 12" radius is larger than the difference between a 24.5" and a 25.594" scale length. Horses for courses.

Back